BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ron Francis Headlight Switch (HL-03) Starting Smoking / Glowing at Ceramic Rheostat

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Ron Francis Headlight Switch (HL-03) Starting Smoking / Glowing at Ceramic Rheostat

I won't post pictures or the video, but while I was tidying up some wiring for the final dash install, the headlight switch (which I wasn't working on at the time) starting glowing red at the ceramic behind the rheostat, and starting smoking. After quickly double-checking that the cut-off switch was off, I then disconnected the ground from the battery before the glowing and smoking simmered down.

Wondering what may have caused this, or if others have come across this problem. Obviously, electrical fires are not good.

Thanks,

32J

Post Thanks / Like
    the ceramic is a heat sink for the dash light dimmer. Can't imagine there would be enough power running through that circuit to cause that without a direct short. The parking light circuit is fused, but the headlight are not. The switch has a resettable circuit breaker built in. I would replace the switch.