Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: IRS center section installation - gen2 hotrod

Post Thanks / Like

IRS center section installation - gen2 hotrod

Hi all,

Just starting the installation of the IRS center section. I managed to get it in place between the front and rear bushings. Focusing on the left side, I slid the bolt through the front center section hole and bushing - no nut. Then, on the same side I slid the bolt through the rear bushing and threaded it into the center section about 5 turns.

Went to right side of center section and found the holes did not line up with the bushings. To get them aligned, I would have to force (pry) the center section over to the left side maybe a 1/16”. Both holes on the right side were off by the same offset.

Some advice I got was to pry the center section over and get bolts through. Would take a lot of force and no real clean spot to pry. Other advice I got was to use a grinder to taper the tip of the bolts so they self center. Didn’t like that idea on the rear of the center section where you can possibly damage the threads in the center section.

So, before I go at it again, thought I seek some sage advice from the community to understand if others have experienced this and what methods have been used to address it.

Thanks much in advance for any advice!

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was off just slightly as well. Maybe 1/16 or less. I used a ractchet strap to pull it over and get the bolt in.

3. Thanks RodJohn thanked for this post
    Likes RodJohn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    @Iziks

Thanks so much for the response. Used a ratchet strap as well. What worked for me was to use the strap and put rear bolts in first and ensured clean grab of threads in center section. Was easy to get the front bolts in with strap second since the bolts only slide through the bushings.

Being a new builder, I appreciated the recommendation and affirmation on approach. MUCH APPRECIATED!

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's how I did it on the roadster. I'm not very familiar with the hotrod setup but I believe it's similar. If not, apologies and feel free to ignore.

Focus on the two rear bolts that thread into the IRS first. I pushed the metal sleeves in the bushings back until they were barely in the poly bushings. This allows you to wiggle the bolts a bit up/down and left/right as you're trying to get them threaded into the IRS. Push the metal sleeve in as you thread the bolts in, but only thread them in several turns initially. Once the two rear bolts are started, you'll still be able to wiggle things a bit. Now you can focus on getting the two front bolts inserted. Here you can use some ground/tapered bolts to get things lined up if needed. I had two at the ready but had enough wiggle that I didn't need them. If needed, get things lined up with the tapered bolts, and then remove and replace them one by one with the real bolts. Finally, go back and thread the rear bolts all the way in and torque everything down. Hope that helps.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

6. Thanks RodJohn thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I confirm that John K's method works on the Hot Rod as well. That's exactly what I did.

Keith HR #894

8. Thanks RodJohn thanked for this post