Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Evercoat Optex Body filler

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like

Evercoat Optex Body filler

Has anyone tried the Evercoat Optex, color changing body filler. ? Or should we just stick to Rage ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know about the Optex, but Evercoat products are better than most. Evercoat has a chart that shows the best applications for each of their fillers. For my project in progress, I am using their Rage Ultra and Rage Ultra Xtra products. The Ultra and Ultra Xtra products can be mixed to get a cure time appropriate for the task at hand. For novices and experts, the extra working time reduces product waist and constant mixing of small batches. The Ultra product is supposed to be less prone to pinholes vs earlier formulations. A friend is using a similar product to the Optex from 3M I think. He likes the color change, but really kind of a gimmick really as you can test the left over resin on your mixing board to check the cure.

http://www.evercoat.com/images/ePIM/...y_Brochure.pdf
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems gimmicky to me. It really doesn’t take a great deal of experience to be able to tell when filler is ready to be cut. The question I would have is what is it’s viscosity is like. Like the Goldilocks and the 3 bears—-Rage is too stiff, Rage Ultra and Rage Extreme are too runny and Rage Gold is just right!

Jeff

4. Likes Chopper liked this post
    Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff.