Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: WRX Donor De-Powering Steering Do I plug the unused ports on the steering collumn?

Post Thanks / Like

WRX Donor De-Powering Steering Do I plug the unused ports on the steering collumn?

I just started my 818c build and I am preparing the donor parts. I understand that I need to connect the two ports on the column but when I removed the remaining lines I have several open ports. Do I need to worry about plugging those as it seems dirt could get into the column? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes. I just cut half an inch off the ends off the tubes that went in the open holes, filled the tubes with JB weld, and reattached them. There's no pressure to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, and thank you. This is going to be fun. I've done older vehicles so looking forward to the challenges of something built this century...

Post Thanks / Like
    I connected the 2 port on the cylinder together. that way any residual oil or air in the rack has a path to switch sides when you steer back and forth. I purposely left some oil in my rack to lubricate the gear.
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 09-16-2022 at 02:25 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    When I connected the two ports on the cylinder together, I joined the original tubes with a union to get some practice with my new flaring tool before tackling the brake lines.
    20191218_173818.jpg