Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  62

Thread: Mark's '35 Truck Build Extended w/Gen 3 Coyote

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark's '35 Truck Build Extended w/Gen 3 Coyote

Hello All Fellow Factory Five Enthusiasts,

I'm fairly new to this forum and very glad to be here to document my ’35 Truck build.
    I've been asked by many to document my '35 build, as I’ve done with all my previous builds (I referenced two at the end of this post). I'll keep this thread updated along the way... so it may end up being a bit long. So subscribe to this thread (via the "Thread Tool" above) to come along for the journey and share my experiences.

I also want to say I’ll shamelessly “borrow” ideas from many on this forum and acknowledge them, e.g., Paul (aka EdwardB), Frank, Erik, Tom W, Bruce, etc. (too many to list). Afterall, a great idea is a great idea. Why reinvent the wheel? With all I’ve learned from this forum's members….. hopefully what I can share can help others as much as the help I've received.

Background on the Build Strategy:

The intent of this build is clearly a bit over the top (some might say), with modifications being the key focus. I want a modern chassis, suspension, braking, steering, tires and comforts, but with a pretty much "look" of the original ’35 Ford pickup. I intend to choose colors that represent this time period.

So, this truck will be a modern chassis/suspension, the engine will be a Coyote 5.0 Gen 3. Since this truck will be my daily driver, I waited until Factory Five offered their Gen 2 Truck with the extended cab. This power plant will drive through a Tremec Magnum T56 6-speed w/ double OD manual trans and a Moser posi-track rear end, Wilwood big brakes front and rear, power rack and pinion steering and hydraulic driven clutch, upgraded Koni double adjustable shocks are part of the mix also. The '35 will also have automated air conditioning, backup camera in the rear view mirror, GPS driven Dakota Digital Speedo, cruise control, Ceramic coated or wrapped headers and exhaust, 2.5" stainless steel dual exhaust extended to the rear of the truck bed, and additional gauges (i.e., some of my gauges will be custom made by Speed Hut to match the Dakota format/backgrounds, e.g., Oil Temp, Vacuum, Clock and Fuel pressure). I also plan to do some light towing... so I'll add a 2" receiver hitch, backup lights, air bags & compressor, electric brakes, etc. For my truck bed, I planning on a Black Walnut wood with high gloss finish. For the '35’s interior, I'll be fitting new leather bucket seats from Wise Guys, , building my own console with a lot of “built-ins”, along with modern stereo system/speakers, intermittent wipers, tilt steering column/wheel, security system, tinted windows, etc.

Lastly, for the first time, I’ll do my own body and paint. I’ll purchase an inflatable paint booth to help me. It won’t be a really big one, as I’ll paint all in pieces vs put together on the chassis. I also intend to inflate the paint booth inside the middle bay of my garage. I’ll gain new experiences doing this; I can truly say “I did it”, should save my $$$s and I can sell some of this after I’m done.

General Preparation

Introduction
    In this thread, I’ll share what I did to get prepared for the build. To get off to the best start you can, with the least negative impacts to your build, you’ll need to prep, research and prep some more.

Where will you work?
    I’m very fortunate to have a good size 3 car garage (40’wide x 30’ deep), with very good lighting, as part of our house that I can use as my build space. This space is insulated and I have air-conditioning and heat (with two ceiling fans to help circulate the air).

The space is fully finished with workbenches. The walls have 28' of cabinets. The floor is polished and sealed/epoxy coated concrete (now, that’s a good project for all of you!). It’s really is worth the effort, No Concrete Dust ! I also have a large number of mechanic tools. I have all the floor jacks, jack stands, 2-Post car lift, air compressor and air tools, grinders, 2-ton engine hoist, MIG & Tig welders (both steel and aluminum), Plasma cutter, impact and torque wrenches, hand and power tools, etc. etc.

Some ask, “Why” I do all this work to document and share the experience?... simple answer is I've gained so much knowledge from others in many different forums for all the car builds I've done. Therefore, me documenting my builds in detail is my way to "Pay it forward".

So, stay tuned and I'll start the updates. I ordered my ’35 truck back in late July 2022 with a planned ship date of April 2023. I’ll work this project starting now with ordering parts/upgrades before truck order receipt since many items take weeks or months to receive (either due to backordered parts or being custom made). I’ll take tons of pictures and share what, why, how, etc along the way.

I also hope to receive feedback, both good and bad, suggestions, questions and comments of the build and why I did it that way… are there alternatives I should have considered, as an example.

Thanks and I'm happy to have each you follow along this journey.

Regards, Mark

Two past builds:
    ’66 Impala SS: https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/s...hp?tid/351166/
    If you're a guest to ChevyTalk and not a member of this forum and want to subscribe to this thread, click here to become a member (free): https://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/index.php?refer...

Unique Cobra 427 S/C (my first kit car project): https://www.uniquecobra.com/forums/f...8-Mark-s-Build
    Last edited by mkassab; 06-11-2023 at 11:12 AM.
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...35-Truck-Build
    Brevard, NC

2. Likes Chopper, McGuyver, tuckin22 liked this post