FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote

Is there any reason a Coyote wouldn't work in the 289? Thinking the exhaust might be an issue, but not likely a show stopper.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would check with FF as there is a special modular engine aluminum panel for the MK4 DS rear corner of the engine. FF bumps it out a bit to give you more room to the rear corner of the head and coil cover on that side. If the engine compartment is basically the same size, then no it will fit but it will look out of place. That kit was meant to have the traditional SBF in it, anything else will raise eyebrows.
    If you want more punch, consider a SBF 331 or 347 build. No one will be the wiser from the outside as to what magic has been applied internally.
    Last edited by Alan_C; 09-25-2022 at 08:33 AM.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alan, all of that makes perfect sense. I'm sure there's way to do it with minimal or no fuss, but the bigger question is whether it's the right thing for the 289 kit, as you point out. I agree it may look out of proportion with the narrower body, but once you close the hood it would make for a great setup. I suppose it depends on what the end goal is.

Post Thanks / Like
    I get wanting a Coyote in one of the kits. It's a great engine, just big. When I built my MK4, I used a 2004 Mach 1 4.6L DOHC engine. The predecessor to the Coyote, all aluminum and good HP stock.
    I am using a 2nd Gen Coyote in a 1970 Mach 1, so I understand being unconventional. We want what we want and some do it. I wasn't trying to discourage you as I remember the looks I got from some with the 4.6L DOHC engine. The Coyote is IMO better accepted by most, but there are always the purists.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree I love the 289 body but I intend to drive the heck out of it hence the desire to use a coyote. I'm gonna call FFR and see if they know of anyone currently building one with a 5.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it can be done. Not sure if I'm the first.

Quote Originally Posted by WLSD86 View Post
    I agree I love the 289 body but I intend to drive the heck out of it hence the desire to use a coyote. I'm gonna call FFR and see if they know of anyone currently building one with a 5.0.
    At first I struggled with the blasphemy of using something other than a Windsor block in a 289 build but I'm currently in the process of building a 289 USRRC with a Coyote for the same reasons you are considering it. I can tell you it fits fine. My biggest concern was the exhaust as FFR has not specifically adapted a J pipe for the Coyote. What I discovered when my exhaust components arrived is that the side pipes bolt directly to the Coyote headers with the same flange. There is a little pocket created in the collector because the 289 headers don't have the 4 into 1 arrangement but it is pretty minor. I'm going to line the inside of the collector with sheet metal to smooth out the flow. It will also require a small notch to clear the body as the pipes sit a bit higher rather than under the body. I see this as another positive as I get better ground clearance without running a very high ride height. I posted a couple long winded updates on my build thread yesterday. Take a look.
    Lars
    Novice Build: 289 USRRC Complete Kit #10524, 3rd Gen Coyote, TKX, IRS, 17" Halibrands, Wilwood Brakes, Power Steering