FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: No front fenders and road rash

Post Thanks / Like

No front fenders and road rash

Planning a build finally, big question I have is rock damage to the paint from having no fenders. This build will be used as a driver and I’m concerned about damage. Have you found this an issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely! Not just road rash, but any loose debris tends to get forcefully kicked up into the cockpit - which makes for an unpleasant driving experience. Bike fenders or full fenders are strongly recommended.

Keith HR #894

3. Thanks JeffB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, Fenderless rods are just fine if you plan to roll them off the trailer and pose for pictures or if you just plan to race them. Chips, tar, sand and grit will be your constant companion with no fenders. And also, any rain drop on the road will happily join you in the cockpit for the ride. Remember, the bike fenders are removable and could meet your needs for a short trip to the drive-in with your gal but if you plan to drive it, cover those tires..

5. Likes JeffB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This brings back up a question I asked before. I want to use bike fenders. FFR only sells the carbon fiber ones now. I do not want those. I have the complete fender set but only want to use the rear fenders. Has anyone found a suitable replacement? Right now my only plan it to buy trailer fenders, cut and widen them. Just looking for options if you run across them in your search. Maybe it will help us both.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you try Motorcycle fender ? Im sure somebody makes custom fenders/
    i

Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious, but what's the objection to the FFR bike fenders? I assume that they don't have to be left as bare carbon fiber - could be sanded / painted like any other composite part?

Keith HR #894

9. Likes JeffB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by first time builder View Post
    Did you try Motorcycle fender ? Im sure somebody makes custom fenders/
    i
    Yep been looking at some of them. Just that these are quite a bit wider than most any I have seen. Also there is normally more of an arc in the motorcycle fender. I am sure custom is possible but I will just make them myself if that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    Just curious, but what's the objection to the FFR bike fenders? I assume that they don't have to be left as bare carbon fiber - could be sanded / painted like any other composite part?

Keith HR #894
    Really it is cost. Carbon Fiber demands a premium cost. The FFR Fiber glass fenders were quite a bit cheaper when they were available. Also I only need the front fenders. They sell them as a set.

11. Likes JeffB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    you might want to post a request on the parts wanted forum and see what you get. I know lots of people ordered the bike fenders and then got lazy and never used them good luck..

13. Likes JeffB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There was some talk on BradC's build about a Co that has the molds for the old glass bike fenders but not sure if they are available.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

15. Thanks Jeff33Ford thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to play with a set of these. I love doing fab work and this looks like a good starting point. I've wasted $200 on worse things.. lol

s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15278533895...4220%7Ciid%3A1

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have fenders and I live 1/4 mile down a gravel road. My car gets driven everywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Likes RoadRacer liked this post