Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: 2 early-build questions - powder coat list and heater/firewall layout

Post Thanks / Like

2 early-build questions - powder coat list and heater/firewall layout

1- Does anyone have an itemized list of parts that can/should be powder-coated ? It would be great to get it all done at-once, now.

I know I need: F-panels, elephant ears, footbox panels, firewall, front (around radiator) aluminum panels, breeze aluminum (batt box, radiator fan shroud), hood hinge parts (do I do bolts, nuts and washers?), trunk side walls, trunk hinge parts, parking brake parts. Must be a few things I am not thinking of. Help me to get as much done in 1 batch as possible.

2 - I am using the Vintage air heater, and the FFMetal forward firewall. The hole locations on the vintage air template are at 2" above the stock firewall bottom, which translates to just above the 2" tube, thus right at the bottom 90 degree bend of the FFMetal firewall. Can/should I raise the template an inch to get away from that bend in the aluminum without creating any future issues?
    Last edited by Alec; 10-06-2022 at 09:50 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><>
    Mk4 Roadster complete kit Chassis F5R1010480RD
    Ordered Dec 2021, Delivered Sept 2022, First start Mar 2023
    Completed October 2023
    IRS, Wilwood, 17" wheels, Forte 427W/TKX/EdelbrockEFI

Post Thanks / Like
    The whole "what do I powder coat" decision is based upon what you want. Some say "only what you can see" but that depends on your definition. If you mean with it sitting on the wheels with the hood open and the cockpit and trunk carpeted, your list sounds about right. Others may chime in with more detail. If your definition of only what you can see also means the underside, then there's literally only a couple pieces in the entire build that get completely buried. I personally do the latter and if you plan accordingly, e.g. take all the parts in one batch, the cost difference isn't that much. But there's also a lot of variation in costs between powder coaters and even regional areas. So you have some homework there if you haven't already. I personally don't powder coat the e-brake parts. Decent chassis black works for me. Bolts, nuts, and washers? No.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Thanks Alec thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The place I brought my stuff to for powder coating charged me an hourly rate. I did all the panels, and anything that was shiny. Wasn't sure what bits I was going to send, and there was no deal with them to do as a big batch. I'm picking up the third bunch of stuff I sent to them tomorrow, and the plan is for that to be the last of it, but I have a felling I'll find something else as I go. I think all in all it was just under 2K, and that includes some after market items. Doing all the panels was just over a grand. I think the batch I'm picking up tomorrow has the windshield, gas cap, and a bunch of little bits. As mentioned, it's totally up to you what you have done.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's popular to coat anything that is bare steel as well, door/trunk hinges, etc.
    Last edited by Chopper; 10-06-2022 at 12:58 PM.
    FFR MKIV 8309, FMS 306 Crate w/Edelbrock EFI, T5, 3.55 Three Link, Wilwood Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of good suggestions on what to coat, depending on your personal preferences. My only additional advice is to not get too hung up on getting "everything" into one batch. That's pretty unlikely. You'll fab some stuff that will need coating, you'll change your mind on some stuff and want to coat it later, and you'll find a few things you forgot or didn't realize needed coating. One way or another, you're very likely to have to do a second batch somewhere down the road. Put together a big batch now, but know that you'll likely be doing another batch later on.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

7. Likes Alec liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My 2nd question above was purely due to the build manual saying that locating and cutting holes, cutouts in the firewall is easier prior to install. I'm thinking I should ignore that advice and figure out where things (like heater and wiper motor) go at a much later stage when possible clearance issues will be obvious. Right?
    <><><><><><><><><><>
    Mk4 Roadster complete kit Chassis F5R1010480RD
    Ordered Dec 2021, Delivered Sept 2022, First start Mar 2023
    Completed October 2023
    IRS, Wilwood, 17" wheels, Forte 427W/TKX/EdelbrockEFI

Post Thanks / Like
    With the heater, check the template against the actual heater. My template was off of the actual heater, and I have seen posts from others who say the same thing.

The exact heater location can be a little fluid, you just have to consider the following:

- Do you have room for a wiper motor (if you have wipers)
    - Do the exit holes interfere with the engine location
    - Is the heat top below the top of the firewall?
    -The default location for the heater places it under one of the defrost vents. It can be pretty tricky to fit the vent due to this placement. Make sure you have room for the vent if you plan on installing them.

If you use the FFR suggested location, wipers will fit no problem...but you will need to contend with the last bullet point. It is solvable.
    FFR MKIV 8309, FMS 306 Crate w/Edelbrock EFI, T5, 3.55 Three Link, Wilwood Brakes

Post Thanks / Like
    In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, I would strongly suggest that you fit, drill and cleco all your panels in place prior to having any of them powder coated. This avoids the heartache of accidentally scratching your coated panels as you're trying to drill them, and it gives you a chance to sort out all the stuff you're talking about - heater location, wipers, whatnot... and drill all those holes before coating the panels.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

11. Likes Chopper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, +1 on John K. You end up taking the car apart and putting it together a few times.

Post Thanks / Like
    I painted everything. And am very happy with the result. I used that Rust-Oleum fisheye silver on the visible aluminum panels and really like it. 3M undercoat on the non visible.

Wait... Did I say I was happy with it all? Uh.. yeah.. I also painted the frame and regret it. I should have powder coated it.. no question.

Not quite what you were asking. You're interested in the panel pieces... But... POWDER COAT THE FRAME... PLEASE!!

My 02c

Post Thanks / Like
    +2 on John K. I powder coated all alum panels, knowing some wouldn't see the light of day much less admirers. And too, door hinges, trunk and hood brackets. I had it all done in black texture by Georgia Powder Coating in Gainsville, GA. I had to go back a second time because some parts were either back ordered or I didn't think I needed them PC'd. My paint scheme will be some kind of black with stripes the same color as the Halibrand wheels, thus the black PC all around. Stuff in the engine bay is mostly black with a few chrome pieces to accent (like the billet alum radiator overflow, the Sniper EMF shield, GAS-N polished chrome headers).
    Last edited by Theshandman; 10-06-2022 at 08:42 PM.
    Art Shand, Big Canoe GA
    BPE 347 FI, Hydraulic Tremec TKX, Wilwood front & rear, GAS-N Headers/Touring Pipes, many functional upgrades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out my build post on the firewall forward and heater here for some things to keep in mind: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post503606
    Mk4 Complete Kit, Blueprint 427w EFI Stage 1, IRS, 15", Gordon Levi Wilwood brakes, FFR Power steering (Build Thread)

Notes and additions to the official build manual (PM me if you would like access to contribute)
    Inventory tracking spreadsheet