Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: gauge visor too wide - wrong piece provided?

Post Thanks / Like

gauge visor too wide - wrong piece provided?

Anyone else have this problem? It looks like the aluminum gauge visor provided by FFR is the wrong size - easily 2" too wide. could they have provided the visor for another kit model?

Gauge visor too wide.jpg

Gauge visor with measurement.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks just like the one that came with my Coupe kit a few years ago. I didn't use it and don't have it around any more. But took some pictures when I was mocking things up and deciding how I was going to configure my instrument panel. Keep in mind the FF instructions don't have the HVAC duct on the front of the panel. They have them pointing down underneath. Which was one of several reasons why I didn't use it.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

3. Thanks BigShooter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My visor was also wider than the cutout so I just made my own from aluminum. I made the new one so it re-uses the same holes as the cluster so I only will have 1 set of rivets

5. Thanks BigShooter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,
    Have you noticed any glare issues with your gauges while driving without the visor piece? Are they still readable in bright sunlight? I like your idea of leaving it off since I'm doing my AC vents the way you did.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigShooter View Post
    Paul,
    Have you noticed any glare issues with your gauges while driving without the visor piece? Are they still readable in bright sunlight? I like your idea of leaving it off since I'm doing my AC vents the way you did.
    Thanks,
    Craig
    I was going to mention that in my post but didn't. In three year of driving, I've never regretted not having the visor. There's never been a time where glare was an issue without the visor. The angle of the dash, the roof overhead, etc. make glare a non-issue in my experience. My opinion is the visor piece is mainly cosmetic and somewhat like the originals. No downside to not having it other than appearance IMO.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

8. Thanks BigShooter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Initially I thought the space between steering wheel and the visor was too tight for my hands so i did not install it. Then I put the adaptor in to make the wheel removable and there is more clearance but I still don't see any reason to install the visor.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

10. Thanks BigShooter thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I too had issues with the depth of the visor, and needed to install the NRG quick release for an extra ~ 1" of clearance for my knuckles.

To the post topic, that visor is the wrong visor - obviously too wide.

I have some glare issues. Not with the gauges (which enjoy the benefit of the kit visor), but with the Holley Terminator X handheld that is mounted on the top of the tranny tunnel, and on my Alpine deck, which is mounted on the dash about dead center. I originally prototyped a smaller but proportionally equivalent visor to place over the head unit. I made a decision way back to upholster the dash with foam and leather. Wrapping the visor is a bit of a challenge. Wrapping an even smaller visor for the deck is a total non-starter (for me anyway), so I dropped the idea of that second visor. Oh well. If I were to do this again, I would build my own dash. FWIW