Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Heat shrink hose clamps

Post Thanks / Like

Heat shrink hose clamps

Heat shrink hose clamps? Five stars in my book. For those of you looking for something a little different in the hose clamp universe. You may want to take a look at heat shrink hose clamps. They're fantastic! I've used at least a dozen of them for over 5k miles. Both large and small, no issues. At first I thought they were gimmicky or just "trick". However after some research, you could make a good argument they're actually better than conventional hose clamps. Both the worm drive and the constant tension type clamps. The manufacturer Gates has a video showing a performance comparison between the three. The test was done on a thermal cycling load test rig. Heat shrink came out on top.
    Being convinced, I took the dive last season and outfitted 90% of my hoses with the heat shrink clamps. 5k miles later I'm a true believer. I won't use anything else. They look good, work good and make a good conversation starter. If you ever have the opportunity, give them a whirl. I'm confident you'll be pleasantly surprised.

2. Likes Chopper, Alan_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for taking the time to do the write up Lee. I have been considering these for a while now and will pull the pin on them based on your findings. Being Australia, they are bound to have a gold plated price tag... we will see.

Cheers,

Nigel
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used the Gates PowerGrip SB Clamps for all my cooling and heater line connections on my Coupe and truck builds. Never had a leak. In fact on the truck build fixed my lower radiator hose connection that no other clamps (or clamps) would prevent from slightly leaking. Plus they look clean. Not especially cheap and they are one-time use. So I don't install them until I'm positive everything is finalized. There are multiple sizes depending on the outer dimension of the connection. This link shows them: https://www.jegs.com/p/Gates/Gates-P...43359/10002/-1. I shrink them with a regular heat gun. Pretty straightforward. There is a dedicated tool to cut them off (also shown in the referenced link) but it doesn't get good reviews. I've had to cut a few off and carefully used a utility knife. They're available through multiple channels and I've found the prices and availability to be all over the place. So expect to shop around. I'll also add that Edelbrock sells a similar product. May even be the same thing from Gates just with their packaging. When I was finishing up the truck, couldn't find a couple sizes I needed and used the Edelbrock version. No difference from what I could tell.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-26-2022 at 05:09 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Thanks Nigel Allen thanked for this post
    Likes Chopper, Alan_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not unlike the Uponor PEX fittings, although they don't use heat (you need to expand it and then the fitting shrinks to its original size). They're all I use now.

uponor.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    +another on the Gates PowerGrip clamps. I used them on my roadster build and love them. They're very clean-looking, easy to use and really seal well. The other nice thing about them is that they are self-retightening with every heat cycle so they will never come loose. As opposed to worm-drive clamps that will eventually work themselves loose with enough heat cycles.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    About to install engine, got mine ordered today.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    These look awesome. Just ordered an assortment of 2 of each size from Speedway for $51.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Gates...0aAiAREALw_wcB
    <><><><><><><><><><>
    Mk4 Roadster complete kit Chassis F5R1010480RD
    Ordered Dec 2021, Delivered Sept 2022, First start Mar 2023
    Completed October 2023
    IRS, Wilwood, 17" wheels, Forte 427W/TKX/EdelbrockEFI