Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 4 Link chassis with a panhard mount

Post Thanks / Like

4 Link chassis with a panhard mount

I’ve got a Speedstar with a 4 link rear suspension. To fit the lower control arms (bolt hole size) I had to use the forward bolt holes on the front mount. This appears to have the axle too far forward.
    There are smaller bolt holes that I can drill out on those mounts that will move the axle back but then the spring on the driver side will hit the panhard bar mount that I’m not using.
    Can I just cut that off? Why do I have a panhard bar mount hanging down all ugly?
    I’ve seen other cars that are using the rear holes for the LCA, were they drilled drilled out by the builder? Or do I have something weird going on?
    In addition, the UCA don’t seem to line up with the axle mounts. Moving the axle back looks like it will fix that.
    This might be enough to fix my too long driveshaft issue.
    2014 LT 5.3 engine
    Tremec TKX transmission

Post Thanks / Like
    The frame for my Speedstar has four holes in the the lower control arm frame tabs. The furthest forward pair are also much higher and much larger in diameter than the bolt that fits the control arm. I assumed they were there for mounting the IRS suspension or for jigging.

The manual shows the control arm mounted in the rear holes and only talks to whether to use the upper or lower rear hole for traction. I mounted mine in the lower hole and did not need to drill them out. The coil over mount on the axle also does not hit the panhard bar mount. It is close but there is about 3/16" of minimum clearance through the travel of the axle between the panhard bar mount and axle.

FWIW, I ordered my kit with the three link suspension and it came with forged aluminum lower control arms. The manual shows fabricated steel control arms. Not sure if all solid axle kits come with the aluminum control arms or not or if they all come with the panhard bar mount. Also, my frame has the tabs for the four link and three Link upper control arms.

3. Thanks theidlemind thanked for this post
    Likes theidlemind liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    THIS! This is the information I needed.
    The rearmost holes were too small so I used the forward holes (1/2") and that set up a whole chain of wrong.
    I even sent pictures to FF and they didn't catch it.
    I'll drill out the rear holes and move everything back.
    That will let my UCA work and hopefully the driveshaft too.
    Thank You so much!