Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: E-Brake cable routing

Post Thanks / Like

E-Brake cable routing

I am working on installing the E-Brake cables and can't figure out how they are supposed to connect with the handle. I have them connected at the brakes and run to the 2 holes in the frame but the cables are not long enough to reach the E-Brake handle.[/ATTACH]20221115_120927.jpg20221115_120950.jpg20221115_121034.jpg
    Am I missing something, have the wrong cables or just routed wrong?
    Any help would be appreciated.

Corey
    2nd gen 33 hotrod, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    From your pictures the cables are to short. I used SN95 Mustang cables and they are plenty long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if you've seen this but some (many?) of us have swapped the calipers side-to-side and to the front of the wheel. Damned if I remember why, it was years ago, but I *think* it made the handbrake cable and flex hoses easier.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Wilwood brakes on the 2015 IRS in my Gen 1 Hot Rod. I found (and later confirmed with FFR) that the manual was incorrect - the cables need to be routed under the center section, not over. Once I made that change the cables were exactly the right length to install the handle in the stock location.

HTH Keith HR #894

5. Thanks CoreyB thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like I'll have to contact Factory Five as these are the cables they supplied
    Thanks Dgc333

Post Thanks / Like
    progmgr1
    Where would the cable outer casing attach? Right now they fit into the two holes on the frame at the back of the interior. Is there another point they should attach to?

Post Thanks / Like
    RoadRacer
    I'll have to go back thru some build threads and look into this idea.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
    RoadRacer
    I'll have to go back thru some build threads and look into this idea.
    Thanks
    I can take a pic if needed but very simple thing to do.. and plenty of rear shots on my build thread
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyB View Post
    progmgr1
    Where would the cable outer casing attach? Right now they fit into the two holes on the frame at the back of the interior. Is there another point they should attach to?
    Nope, the outer sheaths still get anchored in that plate. The cables inside are longer and they reach up to the clevis mounted on the E-brake linkage. There are some good photos / illustrations in the manual, but the page number locations seems to change with the edition. Just go through the "E-brake Handle" and "Cable" sections and continue looking into the "Adjustment" section. The only problem is that all the shots are close-ups - there isn't a wide angle shot showing the complete installed system.

Keith HR #894