I've been planning this build for quite a while now and things are finally starting to get real. Sold my finished previous project car two weeks ago so I have the budget and space freed up for a new one. My 33 Hot Rod build date is just a month away now too. I picked up the rear drive unit I found for the project yesterday which is the first physical part in my possession - so I think I can officially start the build thread!

After months of researching feasibility of what I want to do I've nailed down the high level design of this project. I've done enough internal combustion projects and I wanted a completely new challenge, so this one is gonna be electrified. Here is the high level plan:

Motor:
Tesla Model 3 Performance rear drive unit. This seems like the best option for the 33 after researching and evaluating several options. I was lucky and found a really clean 980 motor (performance version) from a 2018 Model 3 with only 27,400 miles on it at a local dismantler. This has a 265KW (~355Hp) max output with the controller I'm looking at, and of course instant torque. Should be more than enough power to destroy the rear tires on command in what I think will end up being a 2500-2700lb car.

Rear Suspension:
I spent hours and hours working to see if any rear transverse electric motor would fit in with the FFR IRS setup, even with modifications, and it's quite clear that it just won't work. Factory Five took a look at the options I was considering as well and they came to the same conclusion. So I'm on my own for the rear bouncy part that holds the wheels. I considered using the entire Model 3 rear subframe/suspension but the track width is just too wide and it would look like kind of a hack job IMO. So, what I'm going to do is ditch the Tesla subframe and fab up the rear chassis for the Model 3 IRS. I'll 3D scan the complete rear subframe to make accurate CAD files, move the pivot points in to shorten the track width, and then redesign the rear of the chassis to accept the motor and suspension. This is pretty ambitious for me and I've had a few 'what the hell am I doing' moments - but I'm confident I can do it.

Batteries and other stuff:
With great help from Michael Bream at EV West in southern CA, at this point I'm planning on their LG Chem Super Cell battery packs. They will be wired 13 or 14 in series, 2 parallel which will get the required 400V and should provide about a 130ish mile range. That's plenty for a car like this. My top motor controller right now is the EV Controls T-2C. AEM has a really nice setup for the Model S motor but according to them they're not working on support for the Model 3 unfortunately. I'm still undecided on the BMS and charger.

Images and more to follow...