Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  176

Thread: # 1115 resurrection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's like my fuel tank, the check valve is there to stop leaks when the tank is upside down - like after a collision. As long as the valve is upright the ball is away from the seat allowing air to flow in either direction.

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post
    If it's like my fuel tank, the check valve is there to stop leaks when the tank is upside down - like after a collision. As long as the valve is upright the ball is away from the seat allowing air to flow in either direction.

Keith HR #894
    Exactly as Keith says, Thanks Keith, you beat me to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by progmgr1 View Post

Keith HR #894
    My understanding is a bit different.

I believe the ball is free to move up and down between 2 seats, not 1. In the normal (rubber on the road) attitude, the mass of the ball has it resting on the lower seat. If there is pressure build-up in the tank it lifts (forces?) the ball away from the seat and allows it to vent. Otherwise the ball keeps the tank closed off to atmosphere and thus minimizes the stink/evaporation of fuel. Note that the valve has to be above the fuel level for it to work in this manner.

In rollover attitude the mass of the liquid fuel presses the ball against the top seat thus preventing any fuel from dribbling out.

The vapour cannister uses activated charcoal to "scrub" any hydrocarbons (and thus stink) out of the pressurized vapour escaping the tank, and also serves the purpose of preventing dirt from getting into the tank.

Earl
    Last edited by narly1; 02-14-2023 at 07:38 AM.
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.