Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Future of the 818

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are philosophizing whether FFR should continue to pursue the demographic they set out for with the 818, others are a talking about what they need to change to reach that demographic. Those are two separate questions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    You guys are philosophizing whether FFR should continue to pursue the demographic they set out for with the 818, others are a talking about what they need to change to reach that demographic. Those are two separate questions.
    There is wisdom in your comment. Do they pursue is the first order of business, how is academic if the first answer is no.
    The best business model is a monopoly. Obviously that is not these legacy products.
    The 818/GTM could have been monopolies, but there are similar products and only so many of that demographic to go around. If either product was not acknowledged with adequate buyers, is the niche worth pursuing with product development?
    If either product had poor ROI for internal reasons, is it worth fixing?
    Most companies would prefer a product with uni-demographic appeal. The more focused the product, the less likely that is to happen.
    Ambition is risky.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    Yes and no.

If you assume that a kit targeted at a demographic that wants a 'more modern' car has to be updated with some regularity in order to continue to appeal to that demographic (very similar to the example of OEM's that do mid-model refreshes to remain relevant), then that naturally brings on the question of whether or not such an offering is financially viable. In contrast, Dave Smith has said that the Mk4 is the last real redesign of the roadster. That car is a cash cow for FFR (relatively speaking).
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jbs72697 View Post
    I just thought of something. If the 818 is probably going away, would FFR hang on to the molds? If one of us destroys a body panel somehow would we be able to order a replacement from them?
    Did anyone get an answer to this question? I'm going to be racing my 818R and body damage is somewhat inevitable.
    818R Build date 10/31/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielsDM View Post
    Did anyone get an answer to this question? I'm going to be racing my 818R and body damage is somewhat inevitable.
    I've contacted Dave for earlier bodies and panels due to crash damage. They have the molds for Mk3 roadsters as well as for the Gen 1&2 Coupes so I would think that the 818 molds will get mothballed as well and be available if necessary.

Jeff

6. Likes driveslikejehu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I posted about this on the 818 Owners Facebook page, a guy said Tech-Autos, the UK FFR distributor, is taking over 818 tooling etc. Didn't say much more than that... Don't know how real it is; if so, it might suck shipping body parts from the UK.
    It would be great if somebody like VCP took it over and sold replacement parts
    You listening Wayne?
    Last edited by driveslikejehu; 03-19-2023 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been worried about replacement body panels as well since this news broke. Really hoping FFR will continue to support as required or at a minimum a US vendor. People are going to need replacement panels from mishaps driving and racing....would really suck for FFR to leave us high and dry.

9. Likes driveslikejehu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was a question that I asked Dan Golub before buying into the madness, and he assured me that body panels would be available for quite a while. But they also said the car could be built in 250 hrs, and that a paint job was optional. I’m feeling like I’ve been lied to, or at the very least, the kits were over promised as to the quality.
    Kit #361, arrived 10/2015, still in progress
    818C highly modified, corvette suspension
    Estimated completion summer 2023!
    1989 turbo Supra 5 sp
    2017 Tundra

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    This was a question that I asked Dan Golub before buying into the madness, and he assured me that body panels would be available for quite a while. But they also said the car could be built in 250 hrs, and that a paint job was optional. I’m feeling like I’ve been lied to, or at the very least, the kits were over promised as to the quality.
    Mendacity aside, the panels are small and somewhat two dimensional. Compared to other bodies they should be easy to repair. Bonding panels together adds complexity. In event of a crash the space frame is not easily repaired either.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J R Jones View Post
    Mendacity aside, the panels are small and somewhat two dimensional. Compared to other bodies they should be easy to repair. Bonding panels together adds complexity. In event of a crash the space frame is not easily repaired either.
    jim
    I learnt a new word today. I am sure I wasn't alone.
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

13. Likes J R Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the build school isn't running 818 classes anymore. Probably a good thing, since it really kind of sucked going last April and discovering the kits were no longer available to order. That was news to most of the people in the class. Only one family group had a kit on order already. Several of us already had donors. It was still a good time, though, and I'm glad I did it. Just wish I could have followed it up with, you know, actually building one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Allen View Post
    I learnt a new word today. I am sure I wasn't alone.
    It is unfortunate that in these times, in this hemisphere, an abundance of appropriate synonyms are required.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12