Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Electric Power Assisted Steering

Post Thanks / Like

Electric Power Assisted Steering

Has anyone used the Flaming River Microsteer Electric Power Assisted Steering Kit? I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any opinions on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Reading further and Talked to Flaming River, you can add a speed sensor and "make the system speed sensitive by connecting a wheel speed signal to the tuning box. A mode selection switch on the box allows you to choose your preferred method—manual or wheel speed"

Post Thanks / Like
    I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Flaming River FR40200KT with the speed sensor. Schematics show the dimensions slightly smaller than the Unisteer unit with 11/16-36 shafts.

5. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was planning on using electric, how far along before you road test it. My kit is scheduled for june, so I have time to look into that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, that could be excellent. I talked with Unisteer about the unit that they were supplying to FFR back in 2018 when I got my kit. It was a lower power unit that was no longer offered by them but unlike their other products you couldn't add speed sensitivity to it. Look forward to hearing updates

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by F500guy View Post
    I was planning on using electric, how far along before you road test it. My kit is scheduled for june, so I have time to look into that.
    Electric is the only choice for the '33, there just isn't room for other options
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

Post Thanks / Like
    The other low cost option is to modify the EPAS unit out of a Prius or Saturn Vue.

Earl
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

10. Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by F500guy View Post
    it'll be spring before I can road test it but i'll garage test it in the next month or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Cool, that could be excellent. I talked with Unisteer about the unit that they were supplying to FFR back in 2018 when I got my kit. It was a lower power unit that was no longer offered by them but unlike their other products you couldn't add speed sensitivity to it. Look forward to hearing updates

Steve
    It'll be spring before I can get out on the road but i'll definitely update the install in my build thread.

13. Likes FF33rod liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    The other low cost option is to modify the EPAS unit out of a Prius or Saturn Vue.

Earl
    Loads of prepared/modified folks at Autox use the prius setup because (they say) it's very compact, self-contained, and easy to install.

I've only looked at one of those installs, but they attached it under the dash, not by the engine, no idea why.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I retrofitted my Mk4 with a kit from EPAS, which I think was Saturn Vue?

I mounted the potentiometer under the dash, within easy reach. After a little experimentation, I set it at ~1/8th turn, this was just the right amount of assistance. Seems to be right at all road speeds, so have never touched it since.
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

16. Likes texrrs liked this post