I thought quite a bit about writing a build thread since my build will be quite slow and intermittent. I live in Aledo, Texas, which is where I will be building my Roadster, only part time - about half of the year. At least for the next couple of years, my build will take place on weekends during the time we're in Texas; other times. I'll just dream about what I'd rather be doing. However, I plan on including a few different modifications to the "typical" Roadster - some may question them, but I'm all in on it. With this , I decided to share my adventure. There may be gaps of a few months every now and then, but in the end, I hope to share my progress for suggestions, questions and comments... and maybe a few oohs and ahs.

Basically, I ordered my complete kit last February and it arrived last week after a long 9 month wait. While I have some basic knowledge and experience, I still consider myself a complete novice, but, in fact, I feel like I have already "built" at least 20 FFR Roadsters simply by reading and re-reading and then re-reading again, the many remarkable build threads that experts and novices alike have generously taken the time to share.

My plan is not to build a full on race car, but a car that stands out on the street, but if some foolish thought enters my head, I can take to a track and let 'er go. (probably not)

My order included a Complete MK4 Kit with most of the standard options. I did include the Kirkey lowback racing seats which give me the ability to customize both their size and looks when finally installed in the cockpit.I went with 18' Halibrand Replicas. Carbon dash, rear cubby, EFI in-tank fuel system (Pro-M hanger), power steering, FFR stainless steel exhausts, IRS and heater/defroster..

Some of the different options I included were the result of speaking with many of you and countless discussions with Mike Forte and Gordon Levy. It all started with my decision to go with a Ford Racing Aluminator 52XS Cobra Jet Racing Engine. I coupled that with a Tremac T56 Magnum with a Forte hydraulic clutch. With that combination, I should be able to fly this beast with the addition of a couple of small wings. On the other hand, it will teach me to be light on the throttle and respect what lurks beneath the hood. To that drivetrain, I added Gordon Levy's front billet suspension with QA-1 double adjustable shocks with Eibach springs. In order to stop as quickly as this will accelerate, Gordon hooked me up with a set of Wilwood Big Brake discs all around.

Even though this is going to take me about 3 years to complete, I'm hoping to have a lot of fun building and learning about what goes into these cars. In fact, building it and adding my own touches may be the most satisfying part of this adventure.

David...