Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 818 purchase and build data

Post Thanks / Like

818 purchase and build data

Has anyone tabulated the data from the Registry? Does FFR give the sales volume?
    It would be interesting to know how many of each 818 type were sold; how are many are built; how many in progress/limbo?
    Curious as to how big the "club" is. How many are actively building?
    DLJ

Post Thanks / Like
    The only input I have is that in July of this year, I asked an 818 builder on Snapchat what his build number was because I had similar questions and they said they had #656. I have #554 which was delivered in Dec 2018. So that's 102 kits in 43 months. Assuming the same production schedule, they should be up to ~#670. As far as I know, the serial number should be a direct correlation to how many they've produced.

I've been driving my car since this Feb but it's not "done". I've started partial disassembly to install the side windows, work on body fitment a bit, move the drivers seat forward ~1", install a Baer bumpsteer kit and possibly start bodywork to vinyl wrap.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve asked before about how many coupes vs roadsters. No clue. It’s almost like they don’t care.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am the third owner/builder of 2014 #291. A lot of the original configuration is unused/gone. In terms of open, coupe or R, many had "coupe" added after initial purchase.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J R Jones View Post
    I am the third owner/builder of 2014 #291. A lot of the original configuration is unused/gone. In terms of open, coupe or R, many had "coupe" added after initial purchase.
    jim
    Jim, I'm curious what you mean by "A lot of the original configuration is unused/gone." You mean early kits? I don't know what changed from early to later kits.
    Mine is 2019, #585. And like a few others, I'm the 2nd owner/builder.
    DLJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by driveslikejehu View Post
    Jim, I'm curious what you mean by "A lot of the original configuration is unused/gone." You mean early kits? I don't know what changed from early to later kits.
    Mine is 2019, #585. And like a few others, I'm the 2nd owner/builder.
    DLJ
    My avatar is my Ferrari Dino replica body on a reconfigured 818 chassis. The original 2002 Subaru 2.0 and transaxle are being replaced with an Acura J series V6 and six speed, normally aspirated.
    The previous running gear is available.
    jim

dino qtr mod6.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, got it... I thought you were advancing the kit types and development info

Post Thanks / Like
    DLJ, actually that is my interpretation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fwiw, my car is #361 and supposedly the first production 818 coupe. Purchased on 10/2015.

Post Thanks / Like
    I realize now there are only 23 or so entries in the registry on this forum. Long way from comprehensive data on 600+ kits.
    Might be good to post some kind of query on all known FFR 818 social media; Facebook, Forums, etc.
    Sounds like a good crowd sourced activity; which is outside of my skill set, lol.
    I have a contact with some experience in setting up that kind of thing for market research. Since I paid for her college, she might be willing to help...

11. Likes Al_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J R Jones View Post
    My avatar is my Ferrari Dino replica body on a reconfigured 818 chassis. The original 2002 Subaru 2.0 and transaxle are being replaced with an Acura J series V6 and six speed, normally aspirated.
    The previous running gear is available.
    jim

dino qtr mod6.JPG
    Super cool. Where did you get that body?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drewr View Post
    Super cool. Where did you get that body?
    I originally found a Karma body in WI mounted on a very rusty VW pan with a new (tech school) Harley Davidson metalflake gold paint job. The Karma styling details are illegitimate but it was hand laid cloth with good internal structure to supplement the VW pan. The guy wanted too much money. I found another in GA with a somewhat better pan and bought it for what I felt was fair. I sold-off the VW stuff and reworked the illegitimate styling. I realized that the body has exaggerated width that gives it a race-aggressive stance. I never envisioned a Dino imposter to fool people with. I have a racing background and decided I would create the look of a race car, repurposed for the street. I also found some stuff like vents do not aero properly and are not pleasing to me. I substituted details from the 275 Ferrari and the P4. It will have flush glass and a one piece rear compartment cover.
    BTW I am not a roundel/numbers/stripes/sponsor decal guy. Metallic paint would be wrong too. Actions and shapes speak louder than decals.
    Karma was sued by Ferrari and sold the tooling in Great Britain. It may be part of the JHC Dino on a Toyota MR2 chassis.
    jim
    Last edited by J R Jones; 12-16-2022 at 05:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    First Post... we took delivery of our 818C in July of this year. It's number 652. It's been a chore dealing with backordered parts, but we finally have almost everything. Missing headlight covers still!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! I've had mine about a year, though I'm the 2nd owner/builder. You'll find this forum to be a great resource...

Post Thanks / Like
    It already has been. Tons of information