Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Forward trans tunnel panel, Removable? or no.....

Post Thanks / Like

Forward trans tunnel panel, Removable? or no.....

So I keep going back and forth with this. Did you make this panel removable? Or rivet it in place?

I'm planning on that panel being upholstered (either by itself, or a cover)

I've seen it both ways (removeable and not), but I'd love to hear some other peoples thought process on this?

This panel (for reference)2023-01-11 14.15.29-1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I made mine removable so that I could get to electrical connections if needed. Easier to pull the panel to repair than trying to reach up around the tranny from underneath. Used nutserts. I also cut that panel so that I could pull the lower piece without having to pull the dash to pull the full panel.
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

3. Likes maclonchas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a bunch of components, wiring, and an added switch panel on mine. So it's removeable too. Just in case. Like Scott's (Namrups). I also modified it (actually made a new one...) so that it can be loosened/removed without taking off the rear transmission cover. Which I also made removeable. The stock setup has the rear transmission cover holding down the front cover. I reversed that. If you're leaving it plain, you could rivet it place. But no downside, IMO, to having the front one or both removable.

Before covering everything up:

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

5. Likes maclonchas, Honeybadger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys - I've always really intended to DO it that way, but the rivnut install is a ***** with that frame member at an angle behind it..... I have been considering making a panel with longer "sides" to it in order to make that better. Kind of nerve racking too since my rear brake line is run in that area, and I'd REALLY like to not hit it..... lol

RR

7. Likes maclonchas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to have mine removeable but am a bit worried about heat intrusion into the cockpit especially given the difficulty securing this piece. As mentioned above I did take steps to "de-couple" this panel from the center trans tunnel top. I simply attached an angled piece of aluminum that I can fasten to. So even If I rivet this piece removal will not be dependent on further disassembly.

I like both Paul and Scott's options presented above. I am also considering maybe a piano hinge at the top (limited benefit, but some access) and also building a slot that the top bit could slide into as this would help secure the top portion.

I'll post something once I'm settled on a direction!

Upper Trans Tunnel.jpg

9. Likes maclonchas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what I ended up doing for the forward trans tunnel cover. I ended up making a new one with longer sides (as suggested above) and added a piano hinge to the top front bit. Just need to clean up the edges a bit.

While it may not afford me a lot of room at least I have some access to that area if ever needed.

Forward Hinged Trans Tunnel Cover 2.jpgForward Hinged Trans Tunnel Cover.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I have a bunch of components, wiring, and an added switch panel on mine. So it's removeable too. Just in case. Like Scott's (Namrups). I also modified it (actually made a new one...) so that it can be loosened/removed without taking off the rear transmission cover. Which I also made removeable. The stock setup has the rear transmission cover holding down the front cover. I reversed that. If you're leaving it plain, you could rivet it place. But no downside, IMO, to having the front one or both removable.

Before covering everything up:

Just want to say damn - that's a nice clean install!

12. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post