Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power Steering cooler location?

Post Thanks / Like

Power Steering cooler location?

I'm starting to mock up the engine related plumbing and was thinking about mounting the power steering cooler on the back panel of the radiator tunnel. Thoughts?

I think this location will provide the best airflow but it's also hot air....

Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit ordered 11/2021, delivered 7/25/2022....the fun has begun! Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out my current build thread for where I put a fan cooled engine and PS cooler. I think it's a unique solution that will work well.

Post Thanks / Like
    mine is a different design, looks like a finned tube about 2 inch diameter and a foot long, I have it mounted just behind the battery. Where you have it there will be lots of air flow and it should work but it will be warm air.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_Rich View Post
    Check out my current build thread for where I put a fan cooled engine and PS cooler. I think it's a unique solution that will work well.
    I like it, but I have my battery there and that setup is probably way over kill for my build since I will only see occasional autocross/track time. At least that's what I think now.

Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    mine is a different design, looks like a finned tube about 2 inch diameter and a foot long, I have it mounted just behind the battery. Where you have it there will be lots of air flow and it should work but it will be warm air.
    David W
    That's my dilemma, it will get lots of airflow but hot air. I'm just not sure if it's a good trade off.

Thanks, Scott
    Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit ordered 11/2021, delivered 7/25/2022....the fun has begun! Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have any pictures that show it, but I mounted the Derale 13310 in my Coupe on the back side of the rear radiator tunnel piece. Below the Moroso expansion tank. Plumbs easily to the PS rack and KRC pump from that location and for my street driving provides some insurance for PS fluid temp. Not getting hit with much direct airflow at that location. Just what normally circulates from the underside up into the engine compartment. So some would argue not optimal. I get that. But as long as the ambient air is cooler than the fluid, which I suspect it typically is, the cooler is going to offer a level of heat exchange. Nearly 6,000 miles of driving and no PS issues with mine in that location. But again, almost exclusively street driving so no real surprise. I would think the location on the other side of the tunnel piece, as you pictured, would be more efficient than what I did. But for your situation also maybe not necessary. FWIW, lots of street driving builds run successfully without a PS coolers. So my non-scientific opinion is it's a nice to have for a street driven build and some insurance as I already noted. But maybe not completely necessary. Mustangs ran for years without an actual cooler. Instead an added loop of metal line.
    Last edited by edwardb; 01-18-2023 at 04:20 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slarson View Post
    I'm starting to mock up the engine related plumbing and was thinking about mounting the power steering cooler on the back panel of the radiator tunnel. Thoughts?

I think this location will provide the best airflow but it's also hot air....

This is where I have my oil cooler which works well- I'd guess the same for a ps cooler.

Dave
    Gen III #17

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, Dave, thanks for your responses.
    This gives me confidence I'm not committing any crimes against nature, or physics.
    So far I like the look of the cooler there and I think this plate and fin style cooler probably benefits/requires more airflow than the tube and fin style like Paul used.
    Now I just need to verify the plumbing isn't going to be terrible.

Thanks again,
    Scott