Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: I am finally doing it! 33 HR kit ordered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am finally doing it! 33 HR kit ordered.

Another build begins. After thinking of building a FFR car for almost ten years, I finally placed my order for a 33Hot Rod. I have been into building neat cars since I was in high school (I am now nearing retirement in the next 1-2 years) and have done my share of toys, 23 T Bucket, 1953 F100 Ford, 1986 Jeep CJ7, Camaros, more Jeeps, jet boats, F150's, Miata, you name it, I likely enjoyed owning and fixing them up to a much nicer asset.
    I placed my order on 12/30/22 and have received my order confirmation with a kit completion date of 5/20/23, so I am hoping Stewart Transportation will come down my road sometime in June.
    My kit will be quite basic. 33Hot Rod, full fenders, running boards, hood, and engine side panels. I will be running a 5.3 LS with an automatic. I already located a clean, low mile 8.8 axle and am almost done cleaning and painting it, and switching it to five lug axles and disc brakes. I am hoping to get my engine and transmission soon, so I can go through them and have my entire driveline on pallets in my garage before the kit arrives.
    Options ordered are EFI kit, rear exhaust pipes, chrome tilt column, electric power steering, and no top, but a soft top convertible likely coming later.

I have a few questions to those who are running the LS motor:
    Will I need to change out the oil pan for better ground clearance? The 5.3 is coming out of a 2002 Silverado pickup truck.
    My rear disc brake calipers are mounted to the rear of the axle, however most photos I see have the calipers on the front of the axle. With my disc brake package, (1996 Mustang GT) the parking brake cables would need to bend 180 degrees around. This seems like it would make the cables operate not so well. Let me know if anyone else has their calipers on the rear, and it that interferes with the coil over shocks.
    Has anyone registered their FFR car in Minnesota? Does Minnesota license these as a Street Rod, or a Collector. I have had both and like the benefits of special plates (no annual renewal) and they just look nicer. Please let me know how that process went, and what paperwork was needed to register it.
    Are there many other 33 Hot Rods in Minnesota, North/South Dakota, Wisconsin, or Iowa? It would be fun to get together and check out other builds, as I am always looking for a road trip.

I am trying to get familiar with this forum, so forgive me if I duplicated this thread.

2. Likes TxMike64, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Attempt at adding a photo.img434.jpgJet boat.jpgT Bucket.jpg

4. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the FF family!
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes! Photos uploaded. Here are a few of my vehicles I have done in the past.Image - 2021-09-30T173157.673.jpeg
    DSCN1846.jpgDSCN1846.jpg
    Last edited by DanQ; 01-25-2023 at 07:48 PM.

7. Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! It's always good to know other builds going on at the same time and stage as your own.

Earl
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    LS3 here, I didn’t change the oil pan. You’ll be getting a Gen 2 chassis which have upper and lower holes for the suspension.
    With running boards the edges will be less than 4” from the ground.
    I raised my suspension up so I would be scraping speed bumps and the berm at the ends of driveways.
    The intake on that LS most likely the big tall one, kind of ugly. Look for one from a car 5.7
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the ugly intake. When I look at the car vs. truck engines, the cars all had alternators mounted low and wide, and the trucks had their accessories mounted tall and narrow. I thought it would fit nicer with a truck setup. What is the best year/model GM car would that 5.7 come out of?

Post Thanks / Like
    Unknown. A truck engine will be cheaper even though it's the same engine and easier to find. A "B" engine code on the VIN is an aluminum block 5.3 liter LS1. In would think a Corvette or a GTO would be your only choices from a car. No Camaros were built then and the newer ones are 6.2 liter LS3s. Impala SS or a Pontiac G8 might also be a possibility.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running a 5.3 L83 (Gen V LT) from a 2014 Silverado.
    All the front accessories worked perfect (no power steering or fan on an LT!).
    AC compressor is fairly close (low passenger side).
    Oil pan works perfect, even with electric steering.
    The ugly intake manifold?
    I like it but it's too tall. I opted for a low cowl scoop.
    So far, so good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I am looking forward to this build. I see you are near Toronto. My son is dating a nice girl from Keswick Georgina. That is a nice area, we were there a few years ago (just before covid) If I end up traveling there again, I will be sure to look you up! Enjoy your build. I wonder if our cars are going to be on the same delivery with Stewart Transportation. Are you having yours delivered, or are you picking it up from the factory?IMG_6184.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the party! Lots of us here to ‘help’ as needed!
    - Peterh226 #1134
    '33 Hot Rod 2nd Gen. Blueprint 383 Sniper TKO Delivered 4/14/2019
    Full Fenders, Top, 3-Link, Wilwoods
    YOKOHAMA ADVAN NEOVA AD08 R | Fr 245/45 R17 | Rr 295/30 R18
    AR605 Torq-Thrust M Chrome | Fr 17x8 | Rr 18x10

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
    Yes, I am looking forward to this build. I see you are near Toronto. My son is dating a nice girl from Keswick Georgina. That is a nice area, we were there a few years ago (just before covid) If I end up traveling there again, I will be sure to look you up! Enjoy your build. I wonder if our cars are going to be on the same delivery with Stewart Transportation. Are you having yours delivered, or are you picking it up from the factory?IMG_6184.JPG
    DanQ, was this post directed at me? Keswick is about an hour cross country east of where I am. Any FFR enthusiast is welcome to visit! Stewart doesn't deliver to Canada, their service stops at the border. Driving down and picking up is the preferred option for me. It also gives me the option to connect with and say thanks to the people making my dream possible in person.

Earl
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I really enjoyed our time in Canada. I am still getting the hang of posting replies and photos. We will see if we go there soon for a visit, maybe will need to make a slight detour to visit. Same goes for here, if you are ever near the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul) Minnesota, be sure to let me know.

17. Likes narly1 liked this post