Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: $10 minimum wage

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

$10 minimum wage

It was $1.75 when I started working,,,,,,what was it for you?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sf-bec...084124973.html
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to say it was $3.35/hr. It's been awhile.
    I think a gallon of premium was ~$1.75.
    A gallon of milk was $1.80-$2.00.

It wasn't a living wage then, and would venture to say it isn't now either.
    Christopher "BattleWagon" Mann
    From the planet Gallifrey
    #260 B/S 2006 STI

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    $1.35 as a part time minor. Worked at a full service Texaco station as a freshman in high school (1969-1970)
    Premium gas was .35-.38 cents a gallon and when it hit 50-cents people were complaining.

Ray
    Last edited by Ray; 12-13-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was 85 cents but my first boss liked me and I got 1.00 hr pumping gas. that was in 1961 . Gas for my go kart was 22.9cents a gallon. See I had a go kart a long time ago , LOL. Don't remember how much milk was, but Mcdonalds was 15 cents, and there wasn't one on every corner either. I saved up every penny, Paid $695 for my first real car , a 1956 Chev Belair Convt. Wish I still had it. That was 1963. Great time everything was good. Then came 1966 Uncle Sam said "I WANT YOU" ! Grew up real fast ! Can't really complain, life has been good. Have a roof over head, food on table, great family and friends. Better than a lot of people.

Kenny

Post Thanks / Like
    First job $1.37 pr hour( 1960) at Sears Appliance Repair Parts dept. Regular gas was .30 a gal.
    Last edited by cobrajj; 12-13-2011 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added year
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    $1.60..1968, aged 16 and gas here in NE was app 28 cents a gallon..

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not even sure what I was paid at my first job... im 28, so probably somewhere around 6.75/hour or so.... I sometimes wonder if raising the minimum wage helps those working at it though... Won't most companies just raise prices to compensate, thereby canceling out what was intended in the first place? Or am I not seeing something?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just noticed that the price of gas and milk per gallon, seems to be about the same, no matter what decade? Around here, they are both $3.69.
    Last edited by cobrajj; 12-13-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: misspelled around
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrajj View Post
    I just noticed that the price of gas and milk per gallon, seems to be about the same, no matter what decade? Around here, they are both $3.69.
    I remember reading somewhere that the cost of inflation is generally measured by things such as the price of a gallon of milk, loaf of bread, etc... Just a random, possibly true fact for ya. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Be nice if I could make $10 an hour. That would be $80 a day for me but nope guy I work for considers me working part time cause I dont work on saturdays but I get $20 for 8 hours of work on a slow day and $40 on a busy day. If I didnt need the money I would tell him to shove it and go work else where but I am in a sling.

Last time I checked 36 hours is full time and im working 40 hours. 46 hours when I was working monday - saturday.

Inflation is a pain in the *** especially when the cost of everything goes up but you dont get paid more to break even.
    -Owned
    '56 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan, '63 Chevrolet Belair, '78 Mercury Cougar XR-7, '82 F150 Flareside

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_S85 View Post
    Be nice if I could make $10 an hour.
    What are you working as? This isn't a dig towards you or anything, I'm just wondering. I figured Houston would have a high cost of living. I guess $10 seems to be bottom for me, as while I'm finishing up college now, I haven't worked for less than $11/hour for the last 3 years... Is unemployment really high down there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GPZ10 View Post
    What are you working as? This isn't a dig towards you or anything, I'm just wondering. I figured Houston would have a high cost of living. I guess $10 seems to be bottom for me, as while I'm finishing up college now, I haven't worked for less than $11/hour for the last 3 years... Is unemployment really high down there?
    I work at a state inspection shop as a inspector and a service technican. Half a year more and I can offically and legally get my ASE certifications, but my problem is the guy I work for is nice but he tends to be stingy with money mostly because he cuts breaks to everyone that needs work done and then he passes those cuts on to me by paying me less. If I didnt mind about risking the job I would tell him that I want more money since he runs off to go grocery shopping and all those doctor appointments since I am doing way more work on those days than he is. But I am glad I am getting some money and I get to pocket money for labor of repairs. Just wished the people coming to the shop werent cheap *******s. These people scoff at paying $10 for two wiperblades which is including the cost to install.

What sucks is that I was told if I got my license to be a inspector I would get $10 an hour well that was a bald face lie but I cant really complain cause we are kind of slow but even being slow he rakes in the money on inspections compared to me.

Unemployment is high but not as high as other places, its just hard to get work cause people are not spending money. Not to mention 3 of the biggest car dealerships here closed down last year and went out of business so theres not much hiring for technicans like their was when I was being trained at college back in 06 - 08. But if I did work at a dealership if I could get my foot in I could start off at $12 an hour and make up to $18 an hour. But I rather work for myself cause I will make more money cause the dealerships charges $100 an hour labor but they pocket all but $12 - $18 of it to pay you.

To be honest with the way how things been I have seriouslly thought about skimming alittle off the topic when he runs off to go run errands for home instead of being at work to compensate myself but I keep myself from doing that cause I cant bring myself to do that even though I am effectively getting screwed. Im sure I could report him for paying below min wage but I am not listed as a fulltime worker even though I work 9 - 5 monday - friday which qualifies me as full time. This is the big reason that has me so picky with money and thinking the cost for one of these kits is on the high side, if I was making more money I wouldnt be bothered so much by it cause I am having to do so much work just to make a fair pay.
    -Owned
    '56 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan, '63 Chevrolet Belair, '78 Mercury Cougar XR-7, '82 F150 Flareside

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    One fast comment: Minimum wage applies to you my friend no matter what the boss says.
    My understanding is that whether part time or full time your covered by that law.
    My suggestion to you is to make a call to the states labor office and ask them plainly if you are covered or not.
    Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    One fast comment: Minimum wage applies to you my friend no matter what the boss says.
    My understanding is that whether part time or full time your covered by that law.
    My suggestion to you is to make a call to the states labor office and ask them plainly if you are covered or not.
    Good Luck!
    +1, I'm pretty sure everyone gets minimum wage no matter what... I did even at my first job at Burger King when I was 14 years old... Start calling man, get what you deserve. And yes, good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Luck!
    I am pretty sure I am covered reguardless, I just havent been rocking the boat cause he might deside to let me go instead of paying me the requirement but then again I guess I could always then take him to court for paying me the difference for those days he didnt pay me min wage. But if he keeps pushing me coming in on saturdays again and pushing me to do more work while he chats with the customers I will bring it up that Id like more money other wise I am walking which will result in him losing money cause he has to go to doctor check ups once every 2 weeks and he will have to close down on those days.

Quote Originally Posted by GPZ10 View Post
    +1, I'm pretty sure everyone gets minimum wage no matter what... I did even at my first job at Burger King when I was 14 years old... Start calling man, get what you deserve. And yes, good luck.
    Yep I would need it, I just need to check into if I have any rights pertaining to being fired when demanding the min wage level of pay. Not sure if I am protected under that or not. I also need to check to see if any money I make from labor for doing repair jobs if that is considered part of my hourly labor rate or if that is straight forward off the record and I still get paid for the hours ive been at work. There have been days where Ive brought in $80 in 8 hours but thats cause I made $40 for a repair job (belt replacement) and then made another $40 for the day from the boss. If I could get paid $7.25 an hour in that case and make $58 in the day then tack on the $40 ontop of that from the job I did then that would be real nice. Will be motivation for me to push the customers for letting me do the repairs reguardless of their perceived high cost from me.

I do know even on the little I get paid I have put away a good amount of money in under a year. Since I been working for him Ive put away $1300 in savings and If I wouldnt have been blowing my money on collectible firearms I would have been closer to $12,000 by now in savings. I have one more collectible on my list after that I am going to start putting all my spare spending money into savings and put that towards buying one of these kits down the road. I know my boss wouldnt like that, he keeps telling me money is burning a hole in my pocket I think he is jealous cause I spend my money on what I want and I manage my money in such a way I have a large chunk of change put away just incase I need some emergency funds.
    Last edited by Rusty_S85; 12-18-2011 at 04:19 PM.
    -Owned

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Rusty:
    You always have to separate the job from the laws.
    As I see it he HAS to pay you $7.25/hour for your time period.
    ALL the other issues, his attitude towards you, calling you in on Saturdays are totally separate from this and just clouds the issue.
    He can ask you to come in anytime and you have the employees option to say yes or no.

Always keep the legal and personal separate.
    Good Luck and make that call to the labor board of the state to make 100% sure your covered.
    It's a game my friend and if you play it by the rules you win.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rusty:
    You always have to separate the job from the laws.
    As I see it he HAS to pay you $7.25/hour for your time period.
    ALL the other issues, his attitude towards you, calling you in on Saturdays are totally separate from this and just clouds the issue.
    He can ask you to come in anytime and you have the employees option to say yes or no.

Always keep the legal and personal separate.
    Good Luck and make that call to the labor board of the state to make 100% sure your covered.
    It's a game my friend and if you play it by the rules you win.
    Thanks, I will look into it. I dont mind playing the game long as I dont get burned in the end. I will ask him tomorrow when I go in how he feels about paying me $7.25 an hour. I know he asks me all the time if $40 is ok for the day or $20 is ok and Ive been saying it is just to avoid any issues but next time I wont for sure since I see now that theres more chances for me to make it a pain for him than he could do for me.

As far as working on saturdays I dont mind coming in long as I get paid what I think is fair, and honestly I feel I should get paid alittle more considering I am giving up a day and working Monday - Saturday but I dont think thats how things work, so all I can do is check with the labor board and see what my options are.
    -Owned

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Rusty,
    Are you actually employed "on the books" with withholding for taxes, FICA, etc. or does he just slip you a twenty or two at the end of the day or week? Sounds like the latter. If that's the case and he's not showing you as a legal employee he can do whatever he wants and you have no rights or recourse (oh, BTW, you will also not have unemployment or workers comp coverage so if you get injured you're screwed).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the dollar adjusted value of minimum wage

from 1947 though 2006:

6-20-06mw-f2.jpg

As you can see, the constant dollar value of the minimum wage is going down and it currently stands at a 51 year low.