Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  39

Thread: GTM #534 Build Log

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ohmygosuness View Post

As for the hole on the valley cover, would it work if I just fill it up with some metal filler/epoxy?
    I wouldn't risk it. Tap the hole and fill it with a screw in plug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajzride View Post
    I wouldn't risk it. Tap the hole and fill it with a screw in plug.
    THIS.

If you want to make it permanent use epoxy on the threads.

Are you sure you have to remove the sender cast piece? I seem to recall I did this the first time I did a build and flipped the intake around. Then on a second engine I recall just trimming the intake manifold to clear the casting and using a plug in it. Yes you still have to relocate the sensor, but no cutting, tapping/welding of the valley cover is needed...IIRC. I haven't done a flipped intake in a long time though.

There are also available valley covers with the sensor blocked off...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/icb-551646

For $42 it saves a bit of work and looks nice and clean.
    Last edited by crash; 02-14-2023 at 11:15 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    The oil pressure boss on the LS3 is really tall......no way to avoid cutting it off. You can see in the top photo here just how far it holds the flipped intake up off the heads:

http://vraptorspeedworks.com/ls-engi...-modification/

Even with it cut down so it only sticks up an 1/8" or 3/16", you may still need to trim a bit of the plastic webbing from the bottom of the intake to clear it.
    Shane Vacek
    VRaptor SpeedWorks, LLC
    www.vraptorspeedworks.com
    Turn-key GTM, SL-C & Ultima GTR Built to Your Specs!
    Offering a full line of GTM Upgrades and Custom Parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Shane, Ajzride, crash, thanks for the response. After reading your inputs, I believe I'm going with thread tap then plug option. Still waiting for the plug to arrive (hope I ordered the right size).

Shane, I do have some epoxy for exhaust repair, so it is heat resistant. I may end up putting epoxy on the threaded plug like crash suggested, to make it more permanent (if that's what he meant). I'll definitely post pics when it's done.

Question about power steering pump on the engine: do we use it on the gtm? If not, do I need a shorter belt?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I see what you are getting at. You are suggesting using the male flare to bottom on the inside of the MC threaded area. I can't tell from the pictures you sent for sure, but there may be a flared or chamfered area on the hole where the fluid comes out of the MC? You are suggesting seating that -3 straight threaded male flare up against that chamfer and then hoping the 90 degree fitting comes out in a usable position. Then using a single flare hard line with a tube nut in the female side of that 90? I have never seen AN fittings used in this way. I think I would try just using a single flare hard line down in the MC with a proper length tube nut and then that should give you the ability to turn the tube right out of the nut and it should result in a very short setup. If you are going to try a single flare setup, I think this is how I would do it and not with all the AN adapters.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    I think I see what you are getting at. You are suggesting using the male flare to bottom on the inside of the MC threaded area. I can't tell from the pictures you sent for sure, but there may be a flared or chamfered area on the hole where the fluid comes out of the MC? You are suggesting seating that -3 straight threaded male flare up against that chamfer and then hoping the 90 degree fitting comes out in a usable position. Then using a single flare hard line with a tube nut in the female side of that 90? I have never seen AN fittings used in this way. I think I would try just using a single flare hard line down in the MC with a proper length tube nut and then that should give you the ability to turn the tube right out of the nut and it should result in a very short setup. If you are going to try a single flare setup, I think this is how I would do it and not with all the AN adapters.
    I believe I may go with what you suggested about using a tube instead of the AN fitting. But I think the tube end may need to be bubble flare since the threaded area in the MC has an inverted flare/chamfer. I could be wrong, but I think it would be something like this? https://www.force10brakes.com/home/3...-84-p286498003
    Last edited by ohmygosuness; 04-25-2023 at 07:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to send you down a rabbit hole. I'll buy the fittings from you if you like. As you can see, they are what we use.

Now back to the issue. The problem I see with your proposed solution is that I believe the fitting you are using is pipe thread and you have it screwed into straight threads on the MC. I don't believe this will work. I have seen others connect up the proper way so I know it is doable. Too bad none of them have provided any pictures or insight.

Have you spoken with anyone at ANPlumbing.com? One of the reasons I use that vendor is because they have people there that will work with you and get you what you need. Prices are pretty close to Summit and Jegs but their searchability is much better. Maybe a lower profile banjo/bolt will work...maybe not, but it might be worth a phone call to ask what they have available?

Then, of course, there is always frame member modification...if you are willing and able. I seem to remember a small modification was done on the other setups I saw with the tubes coming out the front.
    Last edited by crash; 04-25-2023 at 10:42 AM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crash View Post
    Sorry to send you down a rabbit hole. I'll buy the fittings from you if you like. As you can see, they are what we use.

Now back to the issue. The problem I see with your proposed solution is that I believe the fitting you are using is pipe thread and you have it screwed into straight threads on the MC. I don't believe this will work. I have seen others connect up the proper way so I know it is doable. Too bad none of them have provided any pictures or insight.

Have you spoken with anyone at ANPlumbing.com? One of the reasons I use that vendor is because they have people there that will work with you and get you what you need. Prices are pretty close to Summit and Jegs but their searchability is much better. Maybe a lower profile banjo/bolt will work...maybe not, but it might be worth a phone call to ask what they have available?

Then, of course, there is always frame member modification...if you are willing and able. I seem to remember a small modification was done on the other setups I saw with the tubes coming out the front.
    Crash, I do like the banjo fittings. I could definitely use them for the MC's, you don't have to buy them from me lol.

Here is the link to the elbow fitting I got. It's 3AN female to 3AN male:

Podavelle 3AN Female to 3AN Male Flare 90 Degree Elbow Swivel Fitting Adapter Coupler Aluminum Black https://a.co/d/6IZjW98

Let me know what you think. Also, I'm thinking about getting more banjo fitting for the other MC's. They just seem very reliable.
    Last edited by ohmygosuness; 04-25-2023 at 02:14 PM.