Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida registration

Post Thanks / Like

Florida registration

Anyone completed a recent Florida registration? I am assuming I need to fill out the Application for Certificate of Title. Under Brands and Usage there are boxes for Kit Car and Replica. Which one do I choose? I am in Lake County. Any help is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    FD,

Dave Smith just filled out the paperwork to be listed on sunbiz.org. Once listed there, we should be able to title as 1965 Factory Five Replica. He sent it in to FL last Thurs and I am checking a couple of times a day to see when they are listed. I have a car ready to title and will try again once they are listed. If you are impatient, you can go the assembled from parts (ASPT) process which requires a weight slip, inspection, insurance and is typically a time consuming process but it works. If you go that route, it will be titled as the year on your COO with an ASPT type. I did my Coupe that way and sold it to a guy in Missouri who was able to title it as a 2020. I would wait if I were you and I will report back to the forum once the process is fixed.

Some have been lucky going into tag office and getting it titled now, but not many. You can try by acting dumb and bringing in your COO, receipt from FFR and receipts for engine and tranny to show if you paid the taxes or not. If you try this, only use the word replica. Don't use kit car because it raises some flags.

Henry

3. Thanks MB750 thanked for this post
    Likes mburger, maclonchas, theidlemind liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, not in a hurry but like to get familiar with the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 65 Cobra Dude View Post
    FD,

Dave Smith just filled out the paperwork to be listed on sunbiz.org. Once listed there, we should be able to title as 1965 Factory Five Replica. He sent it in to FL last Thurs and I am checking a couple of times a day to see when they are listed. I have a car ready to title and will try again once they are listed. If you are impatient, you can go the assembled from parts (ASPT) process which requires a weight slip, inspection, insurance and is typically a time consuming process but it works. If you go that route, it will be titled as the year on your COO with an ASPT type. I did my Coupe that way and sold it to a guy in Missouri who was able to title it as a 2020. I would wait if I were you and I will report back to the forum once the process is fixed.

Some have been lucky going into tag office and getting it titled now, but not many. You can try by acting dumb and bringing in your COO, receipt from FFR and receipts for engine and tranny to show if you paid the taxes or not. If you try this, only use the word replica. Don't use kit car because it raises some flags.

Henry
    That is some awesome news! Back a few months ago while I was waiting for my kit I did some research in this regard. I found this:

https://vpic.nhtsa.dot.gov/mid/manuf.../details/21481

But they still weren't listed with Sunbiz. Fortunately I'm not going to need registration til sometime in hurricane season.
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the DMV office in Margate, FL (954) 969-4216 and they gave me a package to complete with a checklist. The checklist lets me know which forms are required, what Fees are charged, what order they want the forms in and even what size envelope to put everything into to mail or drop in the box at the office. I would recommend talking to someone at your local DMV, tell them what you're doing and see if they can steer you in the right direction. Please keep in mind that the majority of people that these offices deal with are disgruntled, nobody likes the DMV, but be kind and patient, ask nicely and you can usually get some good info from them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good info Runamuk. I believe that’s the assembled from parts process which works but makes it the year on your COO. It works but many would rather have it titled aa the year it replicates. I’ve gone through the original process which was a 1965 and the ASPT process and prefer the 1965 replica on my title which is where this should end up. I’ve been checking www.sunbiz.org multiple times a day just waiting for Factory Five to show up. I’ll report back when it is done. The other issue with FL is lack of consistency between counties, tag offices and individuals working there. Once the replica process is fixed, it needs to be consistent across the state!

Henry

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good info Runamuk. I believe that’s the assembled from parts process which works but makes it the year on your COO. It works but many would rather have it titled aa the year it replicates. I’ve gone through the original process which was a 1965 and the ASPT process and prefer the 1965 replica on my title which is where this should end up. I’ve been checking www.sunbiz.org multiple times a day just waiting for Factory Five to show up. I’ll report back when it is done. The other issue with FL is lack of consistency between counties, tag offices and individuals working there. Once the replica process is fixed, it needs to be consistent across the state!

Henry
    Amen to consistent across the state! No 2 reginal DMV's treat titles the same. It is a shame how the DMV are operated. IMO.
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Falcondriver, what are you building? I'm in Sumter county. I've got a 35 extended cab truck on oreder. Supposed to be ready to ship April 8, if everything goes as planned. Currently collecting parts and pieces, can't wait to get started. DonS

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder after FFR is added to the Sunbiz database, if I would be able to re-register as a 1965 replica.
    My Mk1 is an assembled from part’s registration because it was brought into the state already registered as such.
    I’m asking a lot, but once the database is updated, I’m going to ask.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know the answer, but what would it hurt to go to the DMV and try it?

My suggestion, don't ask, just pursue it. Have all the paperwork done on your end like it's a new registration. It might work, you also might get socked with the full tax bill again though.
    Last edited by MB750; 02-20-2023 at 07:22 AM.
    Matt
    My build thread here

12. Thanks mburger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm building a MK4 roadster, 427 Holly Sniper EFI, IRS, Wilwood all around and 17" Halibrand from Factory Five.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    FD, I’m building virtually the same car for a guy in Orlando. Motor is going in this weekend.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing i'm slightly worried about at the DMV is taxes. Most people have to pay taxes on the car itself, and the powertrain. Well, for all intents and purposes I built my powertrain out of pieces I mostly paid the tax on already. I'm not really sure what they're gonna do for me in that regard.
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MB750 View Post
    One thing i'm slightly worried about at the DMV is taxes. Most people have to pay taxes on the car itself, and the powertrain. Well, for all intents and purposes I built my powertrain out of pieces I mostly paid the tax on already. I'm not really sure what they're gonna do for me in that regard.
    I'm doing the same thing. The paperwork says to include receipts for the "major components" (not sure the actual wording, but this is what they are wanting). I am going to give them the invoice from Factory Five and the invoice from Mike Forte for the transmission along with the receipts for the block I bought, heads and rotating assy.

17. Thanks DonS thanked for this post
    Likes MB750 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've titled several hot rods (non-FFR over the years and am responsible for the original "how to register in FL" post on ffcars.com. The ASPT process receipts and serial numbers must be for engine, trans, frame, and body. That's all they care about. You don't need to bring a receipt or show a serial number for your rear end, suspension, etc. The couple of hot rods I did we ended up having tags made at an engraver to install on the engine and trans (crate engines/trans).

Now, as for registering an FFR, it used to be easy with the SEMA replica titling law (mine is titled as a 65 FFR) but then things changed and you had to be a manufacturer in the state. David is in the final steps of getting this done so we can finally go back to "year it represents/replicates" on the title and the manufacturer will be listed as "FFR" or "Factory Five" depending upon how they register and available room on the title line.

HTH!
    Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

19. Likes 65 Cobra Dude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Man View Post
    I've titled several hot rods (non-FFR over the years and am responsible for the original "how to register in FL" post on ffcars.com. The ASPT process receipts and serial numbers must be for engine, trans, frame, and body. That's all they care about. You don't need to bring a receipt or show a serial number for your rear end, suspension, etc. The couple of hot rods I did we ended up having tags made at an engraver to install on the engine and trans (crate engines/trans).

Now, as for registering an FFR, it used to be easy with the SEMA replica titling law (mine is titled as a 65 FFR) but then things changed and you had to be a manufacturer in the state. David is in the final steps of getting this done so we can finally go back to "year it represents/replicates" on the title and the manufacturer will be listed as "FFR" or "Factory Five" depending upon how they register and available room on the title line.

HTH!
    Mark
    Thank you, but quick comment. My engine doesn't have a serial number. Nor does my trans. I've got the trans tag still on it, but it doesn't have a serial number. Am I boned?
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like

HTH!
    Mark
    Henry, 65 Cobra Dude, has been working closely with Dave Smith on getting FFR into the Florida Sunbiz database for a long time now. I know Henry is checking frequently and is going to let us know once FFR has been registered.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    MB750, if you're going to go ASPT route yes, your engine and trans will need something, either a vehicle VIN on it, or some sort of stamping or bolt on tag with an ID number that matches paperwork.
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    MB750, if you're going to go ASPT route yes, your engine and trans will need something, either a vehicle VIN on it, or some sort of stamping or bolt on tag with an ID number that matches paperwork.
    I'm not going ASPT, at least not planning on it anyway. Once Sunbiz is accepted I see no reason I can't register as a replica kit under TL-48.

My whole powertrain has been collected over the last year as parts from various locations, but mostly Craigslist. Technically, no I did not pay tax on any of it. I'd be happy to slap a dollar amount on a piece of paper saying what it's worth, but if they're expecting me to "toe the line" by providing an invoice for my powertrain they're sorely mistaken. I can slap down a couple dozen receipts from building the engine though.

I can't be the first person to try going TL-48 who didn't buy a canned powertrain. FFR's entire philosophy is based on going with a used powertrain. Blueprint (et al.) sourcing is a more recent luxury for people who want their whole kit to be actually "complete".
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    My car is a 2021 Assembled from Parts Roadster it was actually pretty easy and no "real" inspection. However, like everyone else's suggestion I would wait. One of the annoying things about my title is that insurance is almost 2x.
    Michael aka @my_cobra_build on Instagram
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Base MK IV Roadster with several options. Body is Lamborghini Grigio Lynx w/ Audi Vesuvius Gray stripes. 25th Anniversary FFR wheels. Seats and interior by Intatrim.
    Gen1 Coyote w/ Comp Cams & Cobrajet manifold. Tremec TKO 600 w/ a midshift kit. 2015 IRS w/ 3.73 Torsen diff. FFR Headers, Gas N Pipes, Power steering & power brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone been able to find Factory Five on sunbiz yet? I've been looking with no luck. Just wanted to make sure I was searching correctly.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I check multiple times a day too. I spoke to Dave this past Friday. They did their part about 3 weeks ago and it’s in the FL gov’t hands. He said be patient and he is confident this whole thing will be history soon.

Henry

27. Thanks maclonchas thanked for this post
    Likes maclonchas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Factory Five Racing is now on sunbiz.org. Wahooooo! I have an appointment at 1030 tomorrow morning to try out the new process! I’ll report back here soon!

Henry

29. Thanks MB750 thanked for this post
    Likes Mustang Man, capt1black, Chainsaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five Racing is now on sunbiz.org. Wahooooo! I have an appointment at 1030 tomorrow morning to try out the new process! I’ll report back here soon!

Henry
    Awesome! Thanks for being the guinea pig on this.

In case anyone needs the info:

https://search.sunbiz.org/Inquiry/Co...0M210000011170
    Last edited by MB750; 03-08-2023 at 07:44 PM.
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes Thank you and Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ok, so I went today and was denied again. FFR is indeed on Sunbiz.org but the particular director was trying to persuade me to go ASPT. I kept my cool and was there for an hour and she definitely knows I’m looking for a replica title. She saw in the fine print on the MSO that said kitcar which follows the ASPT process. Believe me I tried every angle but she wouldn’t budge. She went as far as to physically highlight kit on my mso which ticked me off!

I’m still fighting but if I was one of the readers here, I would try your local tax collector and maybe you’ll get lucky. Just don’t say the word kitcar and stay with replica. FFR is definitely on sunbiz and NHTSA so they’ve done their part.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but please go try and let us know how you make out.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve said this before on another thread, go to a third party “dmv”. They don’t care, you’ll pay a little more but that’s it. Everyone needs to stop going to official DMVs when you have these types of cars, it’s a pain in the ***.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbl7td View Post
    I’ve said this before on another thread, go to a third party “dmv”. They don’t care, you’ll pay a little more but that’s it. Everyone needs to stop going to official DMVs when you have these types of cars, it’s a pain in the ***.
    PM me if you need to, but what do you mean by third party?
    Serious question.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mburger View Post
    PM me if you need to, but what do you mean by third party?
    Serious question.
    Down in south Florida we have places that will be labeled “tag and title” or something of the sort. They are third party offices that use the same system as the DMV. The difference is they just want the appropriate information and aren’t looking for any reason to deny you. So let’s say you need to bring MSO, insurance, etc. they’ll look to see if you have that information and then plug it into the computer. Whereas the DMV will look at that same information and then scrutinize down to a dotted I or crossed T. I swear I went to 3 different official DMV offices when I registered my SLC before I finally went to a 3rd party place. I was out the door in a few minutes and had plates the same day, title by mail from the state in a couple days. Hell, I had plates and title before I even pulled parts out of boxes or wheels on the car.

Try this place, First Lee Tag Agency
    18990 S Tamiami Trail Suite 5, Fort Myers, FL 33908
    Last edited by Kbl7td; 03-10-2023 at 06:29 AM.

36. Thanks MB750 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a few here in Tampa, but I'm still going to try the DMV route first. Technically there should be no reason to be denied since all the boxes are checked.

Also, per the NHTSA website:

Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Kbl, I have a 10:00 appointment with them tomorrow,

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbl7td View Post
    Down in south Florida we have places that will be labeled “tag and title” or something of the sort. They are third party offices that use the same system as the DMV. The difference is they just want the appropriate information and aren’t looking for any reason to deny you. So let’s say you need to bring MSO, insurance, etc. they’ll look to see if you have that information and then plug it into the computer. Whereas the DMV will look at that same information and then scrutinize down to a dotted I or crossed T. I swear I went to 3 different official DMV offices when I registered my SLC before I finally went to a 3rd party place. I was out the door in a few minutes and had plates the same day, title by mail from the state in a couple days. Hell, I had plates and title before I even pulled parts out of boxes or wheels on the car.

Try this place, First Lee Tag Agency
    18990 S Tamiami Trail Suite 5, Fort Myers, FL 33908
    Great information. Thank you!!
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so I went today and was denied again. FFR is indeed on Sunbiz.org but the particular director was trying to persuade me to go ASPT. I kept my cool and was there for an hour and she definitely knows I’m looking for a replica title. She saw in the fine print on the MSO that said kitcar which follows the ASPT process. Believe me I tried every angle but she wouldn’t budge. She went as far as to physically highlight kit on my mso which ticked me off!

I’m still fighting but if I was one of the readers here, I would try your local tax collector and maybe you’ll get lucky. Just don’t say the word kitcar and stay with replica. FFR is definitely on sunbiz and NHTSA so they’ve done their part.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but please go try and let us know how you make out.

Henry
    Henry, what is the MSO? I have a Certificate of Origin from Factory Five that states 1965 Replica.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Same thing FD! Multiple names for the certificate of origin. Tomorrows a big day as I’m going tomorrow at 1000 to hopefully get it titled. I’ll report back.

Henry

42. Thanks MB750 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Finger's crossed for you Henry. Good luck!
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Failed again at the 3rd party DMV. They were much more helpful than the DMV and we gained an advocate versus the adversary at the DMV. Turns out FFR is not listed in the FL vehicle database and she is going to call Tallahassee on Monday to see how we can add FFR. I assumed once they were on Sunbiz (and was led to believe that) everything would be cool. Maybe it will in time but it's not there yet. I have the 3rd partie's business card and she will call me on Monday once she talks to HQ. More to come!!!

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Geez, what a saga. Thanks for spearheading this Henry.

I suppose it's possible that vehicle manufacturer database hasn't been updated with new Sunbiz info yet?
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    Failed again at the 3rd party DMV. They were much more helpful than the DMV and we gained an advocate versus the adversary at the DMV. Turns out FFR is not listed in the FL vehicle database and she is going to call Tallahassee on Monday to see how we can add FFR. I assumed once they were on Sunbiz (and was led to believe that) everything would be cool. Maybe it will in time but it's not there yet. I have the 3rd partie's business card and she will call me on Monday once she talks to HQ. More to come!!!

Henry
    Glad you had a hint of success. I’m sure they will resolve it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That’s what I’m hoping MB but not sitting idly hoping and waiting.

Thanks KBL, feels like a step in the right direction!

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to share something I noticed in this thread.

Per the FL DMV website there's a number of "TL" documents for registering various things.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicle...cedure-manual/
    Click on Section 1 to open all the "TL" documents.

Specifically, TL-41 and TL-48 seem to apply most closely to our goals. 41 appears to be for Replica cars, 48 is for Kit cars. And if you read these documents there's some clarity that's hard to argue. TL-48 starts off by saying "Replicas are not assembled from kits..." and requires NHTSA and Sunbiz registration. TL-41 goes into MUCH more detail about being for kit cars. Specifically:

"A kit car is a motor vehicle that is assembled from a kit which comes in a box from the kit manufacturer.
    Major components such as engine and transmission are taken from one or more donor vehicles."

Yea, that sounds a lot more like what we bought if you ask me.

I don't know about everyone else here, but my main beef if the year on the title. TL-41 goes into this a little, but there's some confusion:

So based on what this says, even if TL-41 is followed we should still be allowed a 1965 branding as the year on the title.
    Matt
    My build thread here

49. Thanks runamuk thanked for this post
    Likes runamuk liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast