Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florida registration

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh geez... If you read the "flow chart" that is TL-71, that explains why so many FFR's here in Floriduh have ASPT titles.
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    Any closure on this?
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 65 Cobra Dude View Post
    That’s what I’m hoping MB but not sitting idly hoping and waiting.

Thanks KBL, feels like a step in the right direction!

Henry
    Henry, did you ever get your car registered in Florida? It's been a couple months since this all went around.
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No but do have the assembled from parts path that works. I’m just trying to get the replica path to work again. FFR is still working with the state to get this resolved. Needless to say, it’s not happening at lightning speed to no fault of FFR.

Henry

5. Thanks MB750 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any new information on this for Florida? I’m nearing this point and not looking forward to the process. I may just go with a third party from the start.
    Any suggestions or other advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 42Bfast View Post
    Any new information on this for Florida? I’m nearing this point and not looking forward to the process. I may just go with a third party from the start.
    Any suggestions or other advice?
    From what I was told back in May by the DMV, FFR is not pursuing a replica path in FL due to the variance in builds. Not sure how much truth there is to that, but I think it's safe to say that 'Assembled From Parts' is where it's going to land for a while. It's really not hard to register in FL under that type of registration. The inspections are super simple.

The only way I can think to work around this is to tell the DMV that the car came assembled as a roller and one just installed the engine and trans. But then again, if that were the case, one would have registered the car right at purchase just like a new one. Again, this is how the Backdraft and Superformance cars are registered as replicas and not AFP. Might still be possible though as they did ask me that during the inspection, but many of them know FFR at this point and might push back.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update. I appreciate the help.
    I may talk to the third party folks and see what they say.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it also depends on where you go and how knowledgable the staff are.
    I live in Navarre, Florida which is Santa Rosa County.
    Took my info to the DMV and the young lady titled mine as a 1965
    Chris
    MKIV Roadster Complete Kit
    2016 Coyote | MT82 6-SPD | 3-Link 3:55 Rear
    Delivered 7/3/2023 Completed 11/13/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cdurbin328 View Post
    I think it also depends on where you go and how knowledgable the staff are.
    I live in Navarre, Florida which is Santa Rosa County.
    Mine was originally as well...kind of. Funny story as I thought they registered it as a 1965 Factory Five. I was in and out of the DMV in 30 minutes that day. I was like, "this was so easy.". A couple of weeks later I was just happening to check my registration online and come to find out it was registered as a 1965 Factory TRAILER. LOL. I never noticed on the registration as it simply said 1965 FACT. Was a big hassle to get fixed only to find out it had to be registered as Assembled from Parts. Hopefully you had a different experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it titled as "Assembled from Parts" or as a "Factory Five Replica" or "Cobra Replica"?
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MB750 View Post
    Just wanted to share something I noticed in this thread.

Per the FL DMV website there's a number of "TL" documents for registering various things.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/motor-vehicle...cedure-manual/
    Click on Section 1 to open all the "TL" documents.

Specifically, TL-41 and TL-48 seem to apply most closely to our goals. 41 appears to be for Replica cars, 48 is for Kit cars. And if you read these documents there's some clarity that's hard to argue. TL-48 starts off by saying "Replicas are not assembled from kits..." and requires NHTSA and Sunbiz registration. TL-41 goes into MUCH more detail about being for kit cars. Specifically:

"A kit car is a motor vehicle that is assembled from a kit which comes in a box from the kit manufacturer.
    Major components such as engine and transmission are taken from one or more donor vehicles."

Yea, that sounds a lot more like what we bought if you ask me.

I don't know about everyone else here, but my main beef if the year on the title. TL-41 goes into this a little, but there's some confusion:

So based on what this says, even if TL-41 is followed we should still be allowed a 1965 branding as the year on the title.
    I got mine registered before Dave Smith did his work with sunbiz. The "DMV" offices are NOT CONSISTANT. First I went to the tax collectors office and registered/titled my car as a "Replica". I almost got away with it but it was flagged by FLHSMV Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (Tallahassee) and disallowed. I then was sent to the FLHSMV office in Jacksonville and after two visits they called a guy named Mark up from the Ocala office who "knew what to do". He looked at the frame number, went away for 10 minutes then came back with the final result (in July 2020): "1965 ASPT KIT CAR".
    D2D971DA-D32A-4CF5-BBEF-19FA8CFF83B4_1_105_c.jpeg
    But at least I got a (ANTIQUE) plate and title. Don't know what "KIT CAR" will impact me in the future but at least it is a 1965 (year manufactured to resemble).

All in, it took me 3 months.

Hope it gets easier for you guys.
    I hope that after all the dust settles with the Replica biz that I can re-title it as a Replica. But for now it's OK.
    Last edited by Jeff's First FFR; 09-04-2023 at 10:43 AM.
    Mk4 Complete kit with IRS, IRS brakes, Power Steering, 302 mounts, 302 headers, TKO, 2 Rollbars, Leather seats,
    vintage gauges, polished stainless sidepipes, front and rear sway bars, all cutouts.
    Blueprint Engines 347 stroker; Tremec TKO 600; 3.55 IRS, 17" Bullitt wheels: 9" front 10.5" rear.
    Delivered Nov. 6, 2018. First start Aug. 11, 2019. First Go-Cart Feb. 21, 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    I plan on moving to florida in a few years. Mine is currently titled as a 1965 factory five roadster (NC). Do most states honor the existing title or will I be starting over?
    MK4 Complete Kit #10315 / Coyote G3 / TKX / 427 HardTop
    Build Thread Production Date: 2/26/22, Registered 5/19/22, Graduated 3/1/2023

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffP View Post
    I plan on moving to florida in a few years. Mine is currently titled as a 1965 factory five roadster (NC). Do most states honor the existing title or will I be starting over?
    FL should accept it no problem, IMO>
    16+ FFR kits and counting!

15. Likes JeffP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffP View Post
    Moved from IL in 2021 and the IL title was 1965 FFR Cobra Replica. Florida accepted the 1965 but did not recognize FFR so they did it as Assembled From Parts. Building a second Roadster and hope by the time I'm ready to title FFR has done their magic and can go the FFR Cobra Replica route.
    2nd MK4 #10639 received 3-19-23. Wife's version. Street Snake - IRS, Willwoods, no roll bars, no hood scoop, no stripes, Blue Print EFI 306 with AOD trans, and under car exhaust. Ford Eruption Green with saddle leather interior.
    1st build - Mk4 Roadster #9319, received 4-10-18. IL registration 8/6/19. Moser 8.8. 3 Link. Wilwood brakes. Blue Print 427, Holley 750, TKO 600, 0.64 OD. Paint Dec 2020. Ruby Red with Carbon Flash Black metallic stripes.

17. Likes JeffP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never understood the “Assembled From Parts” thing. ALL cars are assembled from parts!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

19. Likes Joel Hauser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mburger View Post
    Never understood the “Assembled From Parts” thing. ALL cars are assembled from parts!
    True, but apparently when a manufacturer is registered with the state there's a certain level of increased credibility (someone paid someone else) and the title is granted a different status.
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MB750 View Post
    True, but apparently when a manufacturer is registered with the state there's a certain level of increased credibility (someone paid someone else) and the title is granted a different status.
    Yep, that’s pretty much what it boils down to. I’m not sure what that ‘fee’ is for FL, but doesn’t seem that FFR wants to pay it and the state needs more than Sunbiz’org apparently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff's First FFR View Post
    I got mine registered before Dave Smith did his work with sunbiz. The "DMV" offices are NOT CONSISTANT. First I went to the tax collectors office and registered/titled my car as a "Replica". I almost got away with it but it was flagged by FLHSMV Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (Tallahassee) and disallowed. I then was sent to the FLHSMV office in Jacksonville and after two visits they called a guy named Mark up from the Ocala office who "knew what to do". He looked at the frame number, went away for 10 minutes then came back with the final result (in July 2020): "1965 ASPT KIT CAR".
    D2D971DA-D32A-4CF5-BBEF-19FA8CFF83B4_1_105_c.jpeg
    But at least I got a (ANTIQUE) plate and title. Don't know what "KIT CAR" will impact me in the future but at least it is a 1965 (year manufactured to resemble).

All in, it took me 3 months.

Hope it gets easier for you guys.
    I hope that after all the dust settles with the Replica biz that I can re-title it as a Replica. But for now it's OK.
    Jeff's First FFR - did you get a phone number for Mark in Ocala or any DMV that understood the process? I talked to the sr. compliance inspector at the Palm Beach Regional office and he told me "FFR are not allowed to drive on Florida roads" and getting a title was "not going to happen" so ...not helpful.

He gave me the Tallahassee customer DISservice number and after waiting on hold for 30+ min first call and 1hr+ second call, the call was dropped.

So trying to get a contact for someone at a DMV office that I could talk to and help educate my local office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to your local DMV office, not the tax collector. I live in Fort Lauderdale and for me I had to go to Margate, FL. They gave me a packet with instructions outlining what's required as well as all of the forms I need to complete, it's a nice little checklist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by runamuk View Post
    Go to your local DMV office, not the tax collector. I live in Fort Lauderdale and for me I had to go to Margate, FL. They gave me a packet with instructions outlining what's required as well as all of the forms I need to complete, it's a nice little checklist.
    Maybe I'll give the Margate office a try. Every local office Palm Beach to Indian River County are tax collectors and the guy I spoke to was at the Regional DMV office.

Did you use the TL-41 packet for "assembled from a kit"?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll repeat this again.

Get this form filled out. https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82040.pdf

Bring proof of insurance and MSO.

Go to a third party tag and title place. Do not go to an official DMV. If you local to the area I suggest this place or one similar.
    https://maps.apple.com/?address=6651...0Insurance&t=m

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnzo84 View Post
    Maybe I'll give the Margate office a try. Every local office Palm Beach to Indian River County are tax collectors and the guy I spoke to was at the Regional DMV office.

Did you use the TL-41 packet for "assembled from a kit"?
    I have TL-48 instructions and several different for numbers. send me your Email address and I'll scan this packet and send you a copy. My email is [email protected].

I like what Kbl7td says, you pay extra for their services but they do moost of the leg work and paperwork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbl7td View Post
    I’ll repeat this again.

Get this form filled out. https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82040.pdf

Bring proof of insurance and MSO.

Go to a third party tag and title place. Do not go to an official DMV. If you local to the area I suggest this place or one similar.
    https://maps.apple.com/?address=6651...0Insurance&t=m
    Who inspected your car before the title was issued?

Post Thanks / Like
    Who inspected your car before the title was issued?
    For me a notary friend. But I assume you have your car finished? Just drive to a UPS store with a notary or something like that. Via that form all they have to do is confirm that the chassis number, MSO and number you put in the form all match.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to my local DMV office in Santa Rosa County. They didn't have a clue what they were doing but it went really smooth and they titled the car as a 1965.
    Sounds like it varies from county to county in Florida.
    Chris
    MKIV Roadster Complete Kit
    2016 Coyote | MT82 6-SPD | 3-Link 3:55 Rear
    Delivered 7/3/2023 Completed 11/13/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Any recommendations for the Tampa Bay Area, specifically Pinellas County?
    818 "S"pyder delivered 11/27/20, using 2007 Impreza 2.5l NA donor. Work mostly being done by my son Liam...body work and paint being done by dad (that's me)
    MK3.1 #6583RD, built from 2008-2019, sold 11/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cdurbin328, titled as a 1965 what? Can you share the make and model with us?

Thx?

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to my local DMV office in Santa Rosa County. They didn't have a clue what they were doing but it went really smooth and they titled the car as a 1965.
    Sounds like it varies from county to county in Florida.
    Might want to check what that is. Mine was listed as a 1965 Factory TRAILER! Hope your experience was different.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in Lake County and it is very easy. Call the Division Of Motorist Services Field Office Region 2 in Ocala 352 512-6782. They will e mail you the instructions.
    Check ASPT which is assembled from parts. Take all paperwork mentioned in the instructions including photos to their office and they will check personally that all is OK. At that time they will assign you an inspection date and time. You must appear at that time with the car. You can get a 10 day temp tag to drive it there as I did or trailer it. It must also be weighed. I got that done at the truckstop in Wildwood. The inspection is to verify that the factory five number stamped on the frame corresponds with your paperwork. They will issue the title as a 1965 vehicle. The people at Division 2 are very nice and helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcondriver View Post
    I am in Lake County and it is very easy. Call the Division Of Motorist Services Field Office Region 2 in Ocala 352 512-6782. They will e mail you the instructions.
    Check ASPT which is assembled from parts. Take all paperwork mentioned in the instructions including photos to their office and they will check personally that all is OK. At that time they will assign you an inspection date and time. You must appear at that time with the car. You can get a 10 day temp tag to drive it there as I did or trailer it. It must also be weighed. I got that done at the truckstop in Wildwood. The inspection is to verify that the factory five number stamped on the frame corresponds with your paperwork. They will issue the title as a 1965 vehicle. The people at Division 2 are very nice and helpful.
    I've heard that Ocala does a great job with FFRs in the past. Unfortunately, you have to go to a DMV that is in your county of residence. You made a good note as well in regard to the FFR tag. Make sure that it is on the vehicle as if not, that will definitely place you in the ASPT column.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 65 Cobra Dude View Post
    FD,

Dave Smith just filled out the paperwork to be listed on sunbiz.org. Once listed there, we should be able to title as 1965 Factory Five Replica. He sent it in to FL last Thurs and I am checking a couple of times a day to see when they are listed. I have a car ready to title and will try again once they are listed. If you are impatient, you can go the assembled from parts (ASPT) process which requires a weight slip, inspection, insurance and is typically a time consuming process but it works. If you go that route, it will be titled as the year on your COO with an ASPT type. I did my Coupe that way and sold it to a guy in Missouri who was able to title it as a 2020. I would wait if I were you and I will report back to the forum once the process is fixed.

Some have been lucky going into tag office and getting it titled now, but not many. You can try by acting dumb and bringing in your COO, receipt from FFR and receipts for engine and tranny to show if you paid the taxes or not. If you try this, only use the word replica. Don't use kit car because it raises some flags.

Henry
    Henry, will this work for my Truck?

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update. Went to Region 9 office in West Palm Beach for the inspection. It seemed like it was the first time the inspector went through the process but got through it after several weeks of calls and waiting. One question I wish I asked the inspector before I trailered the car to his office was if they'd come to my house. He said he covers from Boca to Vero so could have come by for an inspection when he was in the area.

I submitted the TL41 application for "kit car" but the inspector changed it to assembled from parts title with kit car brand. My year is 2024 and he wouldnt change it to 1965 but I figured I'd get the title done and see if I can get it changed later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys what in the world are you inspecting. There’s no inspections in Florida. It’s a simple VIN verification to make sure the number stamped on the car matches the MSO, that’s it. You can have anyone do this that’s an official, a cop, a notary etc. I just hate to see everyone doing stuff that’s way more complicated than it should be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbl7td View Post
    Guys what in the world are you inspecting. There’s no inspections in Florida. It’s a simple VIN verification to make sure the number stamped on the car matches the MSO, that’s it. You can have anyone do this that’s an official, a cop, a notary etc. I just hate to see everyone doing stuff that’s way more complicated than it should be.
    The "inspection" was nothing. He didn't even look at the serial number for me. Just looked at the car, had me email him 4 pictures, and watched as I placed a VIN sticker on the frame. YMMV but I called a couple local 3rd party title offices and they said they don't do assembled from parts or kit car titles. Also talked to Kyle who said he supervises title for the south half of the state and he told me for kit car title I have to go to the regional office. So I wasn't as lucky having someone else inspect it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure, but I think the key word to use when talking to these people is "replica". It has to do with the wording in their procedures.

40. Likes MB750 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure, but I think the key word to use when talking to these people is "replica". It has to do with the wording in their procedures.
    I tried that first. Submitted "replica" application first at the local tax collector and that's when Factory Five not being registered as a manufacturer w/ the State became an issue for me. When the lady selected "replica" she said she had to pick a make from the registered manufacturers because the definition of replica is purchasing a complete operable car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12