Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Brake Balance bar always favors the rear

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Balance bar always favors the rear

Totally stock FFR brakes

I took my dash out while trying to figure out my recently poor brakes.. and noticed that when I push brakes the rear gets almost all the leverage - the rear goes "to the floor" like there's a massive air pocket in the rear lines. The fronts get very little of the pedal. I've wound the balance bar side to side, but even at extremes I can't get the front to move.. does this sound to you like air in the rear lines? What else? I've bled the rears for a few hours, flushed the system, but cannot improve it.

So I'm thinking it's either

- air in rear MC, do a reverse bleed to push air out that way
    - what does a 'bad' MC feel/act like? I have a spare but no idea what can go wrong with them

Other ideas?

I took for a drive, and couldn't get the wheels to lock up. After the drive the temps were 80deg front, 140deg rear, so they're both working to _some_ extent. What confuses me is that if air in rear, would they get hot?

Making my head spin
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, confirmed.. bad MC. Replaced and now the brakes are suddenly MUCH better! Shocking I know
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

3. Thanks Just 1 More thanked for this post
    Likes Just 1 More, FF33rod liked this post