Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Don's 35 Extended Build, Inventory and Issues

Post Thanks / Like

Don's 35 Extended Build, Inventory and Issues

I wanted to share my experience with the Inventory process on my 35 Extended Cab build / Inventory. It has been a challenge!

We got our kit delivered Feb 8, which had a Jan 21 pickup date.

From Jan 21 until Feb 7 some of the back ordered parts were being filled and they wind up in "extra" boxes. In our case these were boxes 47, 48 and 49.

The normal inventory process is to compare the contents of every box against your "Kit Pack List". What you are looking for are

• Incorrect quantities, such as got 4 needed 5
    • Totally missing, checked off as in the box but not there

Back ordered parts will be listed as ZERO quantity on the Kit Pack List and then will appear on the POL list you are given.

Back orders that were filled will be marked as in one of the extra boxes. In my case, I grabbed them from the "extra" box and moved them to the box where they belong.

The next part of my inventory process is comparing my Sales Order against boxes received. For instance my order included small block Ford drive train and the drive shaft was listed on the Sales Order but was not shipped nor was it on the POL list. This might be because it was never assigned to a box, I don't know.

The third part of the Inventory analysis is the most difficult, and here are two examples.

• I got the two rear coil over shocks but did not have the hardware to mount the shocks to the frame or the lower control arms. These missing parts appear no where, they are not on the Pack List nor the POL list. Which means they are missing in the Bill of Material system. But you don't realize this until you try to install the shocks.
    • I ordered the Full Fender Kit, I got all the fiberglass parts, fenders and running boards, but received none of the hardware for attaching the fenders nor the shorter rear fender mount brackets.

This last issue is the most difficult because you don't know what you are missing until you try to do the assembly or you actually compare every single step of the build manual against the Pack List. And I think that's impossible.

It's my understanding that most of the above issues are the result of a change last Fall in the bill of material system that restructured the 35 Truck.

So that's my heads up on the inventory process. I have my kit 2.5 weeks and I'm still finding issues, and I expect that this will continue for a while.

Other than the above I'm enjoying the build. But dealing with Bill of Material issues is a real downer.

Don

2. Thanks Grandpas Garage thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Don.... sorry to hear about your inventory issues.... I suspect I'll be in your shoes soon. I ordered my '35 extended cab truck on July 25, 2022 with a pickup date of Apr 1 23.

For clarification what was your order date, initial pickup date and actual pickup date? And, if you can, what were the represented type of missing parts, systems, etc?

Thanks Mark
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...35-Truck-Build
    Brevard, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark,

Original order date was August 16, 2022 for the Extended Cab (full fender and hood). Pickup date was Jan 21. However, it did not get picked up by Stewart until Feb 7, delivery on the 8th.

You'll get a POL list which is the Factory Five list of backordered parts. Ours had 40 items on it but 14 back orders had already been filled and were in the extra boxes.

Unfortunately we have rear suspension and steering parts on the POL list. So I had to hop around in the build to stay working.

By far the bulk of the "smaller' missing parts are hardware but there are some bigger items.

• Radiator hose adapter kit
    • Radiator fan
    • hardware for mounting fuel tank straps
    • all the rear coil over mounting hardware for frame and lower control arms
    • rear fender mount brackets
    • all the fender mount hardware
    • hardware and brackets for running boards
    • Button heads for attaching firewall to body

Although they want you to report all missing items within 45 days, I understand that they are being flexible because of the restructuring of the 35 Truck BOM.

Sounds like yours will be ready soon,

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Don.
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Brevard, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Don,
    I am having similar issues with the delivery of the POL list, and the items completely missed, like the running board supports and fasteners. I have come to a complete stop as no matter which item I try to proceed with, I am finding missing parts that are critical to the particular item.
    frustrating to say the least.
    Thanks,
    Grandpa

Post Thanks / Like
    Grandpa,

I assembled my fuel tank because I had all the parts for that. But I was missing all the hardware to fasten the tank straps to the frame. I also own a 1990 Mustang and have lots of left over parts from working on that car. So I had an extra set of hardware for the straps and used that.

I'm coming to the conclusion that if I want to keep this project moving forward I'm going to have to continually round up my own hardware.

But some of the other stuff (like the running board brackets) is going to have to come from Factory 5.

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    A very small box arrived from F5 this week. Inside were 8 bolts, nuts and spacers.

No paperwork, but I figured out that these were the missing bolts & nuts & spacers for the rear shocks. And the rest of the hardware was for the gas tank straps.

It's a start...

Post Thanks / Like
    Don, I also have the fact that I have a Canadian kit, which excludes most of the fuel system, brakes, and front suspension and fire wall. Those items are in a separate Canadian Completion kit which you have to order from a different (Canadian)supplier, (Canadian Transport Regulations) which I ordered back in early August. I was just informed that it was ready to be shipped in the next few days, so we will continue to wait and see. It also comes fromFF5 but thru a third party.
    On the bright side, what I have so far seems to go together fairly well, so no complaint about the quality of the items received.

Post Thanks / Like

Fenders

Quote Originally Posted by DonImbimbo View Post
    Grandpa,

I assembled my fuel tank because I had all the parts for that. But I was missing all the hardware to fasten the tank straps to the frame. I also own a 1990 Mustang and have lots of left over parts from working on that car. So I had an extra set of hardware for the straps and used that.

I'm coming to the conclusion that if I want to keep this project moving forward I'm going to have to continually round up my own hardware.

But some of the other stuff (like the running board brackets) is going to have to come from Factory 5.

Don
    Don,
    I also assembled my fuel tank, head lights, taillights and everything else I can think off that I have all the parts for.
    I just mocked up my fenders and find that the running boards seem to be about 3-4" too short. Mine are 65" in length.
    You might want to measure yours. I think I got the fenders from the standard cab, not the extended cab. Still waiting for the supports and hardware pack.
    Also check your rear lower support arms. Mine have RH thread for the adjustable end but they sent me LH thread. Apparently this is one of the changes to the extended cab package. Also the bolts for the back end are 14mm but the arm holes are for 12mm. I expect some of our problems are a result of the changes made to the extended cab version.

Grandpa

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandpas Garage View Post
    Don,
    I also assembled my fuel tank, head lights, taillights and everything else I can think off that I have all the parts for.
    I just mocked up my fenders and find that the running boards seem to be about 3-4" too short. Mine are 65" in length.
    You might want to measure yours. I think I got the fenders from the standard cab, not the extended cab. Still waiting for the supports and hardware pack.
    Also check your rear lower support arms. Mine have RH thread for the adjustable end but they sent me LH thread. Apparently this is one of the changes to the extended cab package. Also the bolts for the back end are 14mm but the arm holes are for 12mm. I expect some of our problems are a result of the changes made to the extended cab version.

Grandpa
    Grandpa.... the only two things on the body that changed for the extended cab (as I understand it) is a longer cab and running boards.... all other body parts are the same.

Mark
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Brevard, NC

Post Thanks / Like
    Grandpa,

I expected problems with running brds so I mocked up mine last week. I had the grill attached and then laid out the front fender, running brd and rear fender on the floor of the garage. It looked like the rear fender just about lined up with the rear of the frame.

Here are the dimensions that I have:
    • Running Board = 65 inches
    • Front Fender, diagonal from corner at grill chin to longest point = 58 inches
    • Rear fender approx. = 49 inches

I would think only the running board changed by 4 inches.

My really rough measurement of the truck from rear frame, around cab then to grill chin is about 168 inches where the total of the body parts is 172 inches. But that 168 is short because it really needs to be on the outside of the fenders (which I don't have lying next to the truck right now).

I'm expecting 6 boxes today or tomorrow from F5 totaling 90 pounds. I don't know what they shipped they never say. If the rear lower control arms are in there I'll check the bolt sizes.

Don
    1990 Mustang 5.0 5sp, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 1935 Extended Cab Build, 347 & 4R70W

Post Thanks / Like
    Grandpa,

Rear Lower Control arm arrived today. Surprise ! They're powder coated. Surprise ! The rear mount bushings seem to be setup for 0.480 inch or 12mm, just like you said.

That's not going to work and I do not know (yet) if there is enough room to bore this out to 14mm.

Best solution would be to press out the existing bushing and install the proper bushing for 14mm.

The rear upper control arm also arrived and it looks like the rear mount is 14mm. That's correct.

I have to pull some other parts out of my inventory area to check the thread orientation on all three pieces.

Don
    1990 Mustang 5.0 5sp, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 1935 Extended Cab Build, 347 & 4R70W

Post Thanks / Like
    Grandpa,

All the upper control arm components are correct. This one uses a left hand thread on the EYE bolt. All the hardware is correct to mount it to the rear, M14 bolt.

On the lower control arms, both arms use a right hand thread EYE bolt and the hardware seems correct to mount it to the frame.

On the REAR end mounting there are two issues: The bushing looks like it might be M12 and needs to be M14. Second issue is the hardware included is M16 x 110mm and needs to be M14 x 110mm.

I'll report these errors tomorrow.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Fenders

Don,
    I think you will find them too short. My rear fenders were about 3" from the back of the truck bed, according to the manual they should be to the back or even a little bit past. I have a gap of about 1/4" between the cab and the front of the box. The back of the bed extends a little beyond the frame, didn't measure it though.
    Grandpa

Grandpa,

I expected problems with running brds so I mocked up mine last week. I had the grill attached and then laid out the front fender, running brd and rear fender on the floor of the garage. It looked like the rear fender just about lined up with the rear of the frame.

Here are the dimensions that I have:
    • Running Board = 65 inches
    • Front Fender, diagonal from corner at grill chin to longest point = 58 inches
    • Rear fender approx. = 49 inches

I would think only the running board changed by 4 inches.

My really rough measurement of the truck from rear frame, around cab then to grill chin is about 168 inches where the total of the body parts is 172 inches. But that 168 is short because it really needs to be on the outside of the fenders (which I don't have lying next to the truck right now).

I'm expecting 6 boxes today or tomorrow from F5 totaling 90 pounds. I don't know what they shipped they never say. If the rear lower control arms are in there I'll check the bolt sizes.

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Grandpas Garage,

So what do you expect will be the solution for:

• The LCAs? I expect that I'm going to have to re-build the ones I have with different bushings and sleeves. And I still don't have an answer if the LCAs will attach with 14mm or 16mm hardware.
    • The Running Board / Fender size. Do you believe the problem is the rear fender?

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Fenders

Grandpas Garage,

So what do you expect will be the solution for:

• The LCAs? I expect that I'm going to have to re-build the ones I have with different bushings and sleeves. And I still don't have an answer if the LCAs will attach with 14mm or 16mm hardware.
    • The Running Board / Fender size. Do you believe the problem is the rear fender?

Don
    Don,
    I am still waiting for an answer on the lower control arm differential end mounting bolts from Tech services. They are sending me new right hand thread ends for the chassis attachment end.
    As for the fenders I believe they are sending out the right ones. I mocked up what I had with clamps directly to the motor side shields and the truck bed, If you use the 65" fenders the rear tires look off centered and the tail of the back fender is short by at least 3". does not look right. I believe the running boards need to be about 69" in order for it to look anything like the old non extended truck.
    Grandpa

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the replacement sleeves or bushings for the LCAs, correct OD and ID (14mm). However, the lengths were incorrect. I had to trim both for 2.40 inch. It was not too difficult to remove the old sleeves and press in the new ones.

No new bolts came with the sleeves. I ordered those from another source, 14mm DIN grade 10.9, 100mm.

This should allow me to wrap up the installation of the rear (finally).

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked up my Speedstar kit August 6, 2022. I had all the same issues described here. The bulk of my missing parts were ones that did not appear on any lists. Some I was able to identify during the inventory process others not until I was working on something and realized I didn't have parts. I have also wound up with duplicates parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also found that the Panard mounting bolt to the rear was too short at 3 inches. The threads did not engage with the nylon lock portion of the nut. I bought a 4 incher locally and trimmed to 3.5 inches, perfect fit (5/8-11 x 3.5, grade 8).

Post Thanks / Like

Final solution for running boards?

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpas Garage View Post
    As for the fenders I believe they are sending out the right ones. I mocked up what I had with clamps directly to the motor side shields and the truck bed, If you use the 65" fenders the rear tires look off centered and the tail of the back fender is short by at least 3". does not look right. I believe the running boards need to be about 69" in order for it to look anything like the old non extended truck.
    Grandpa
    So what was the final solution for the running boards? I checked again by laying out the front fender, running board and rear fender on the floor and the 65 inch running board still looks OK to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    So what was the final solution for the running boards? I checked again by laying out the front fender, running board and rear fender on the floor and the 65 inch running board still looks OK to me.
    Don, just got back from a holiday so it took a while to get the fenders/running boards mounted.
    I ended up with a 1 1/2" space between the running board and the back fender in order to have the fenders look centered on the wheel. The set back from the back of the cab to the rear fender is at 12", not the 13" mentioned in the manual. I plan to build up the running boards with fiber glass to fill in the space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to butt in but I had a quick question..... How long did it take you guys to get a rear end from Moser after your kit completion date?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KippRacing View Post
    Sorry to butt in but I had a quick question..... How long did it take you guys to get a rear end from Moser after your kit completion date?
    A little bit dated information, but my truck kit had a completion date of 12/05/2020. Was delivered by Stewart on 01/05/2021. Winter weather and the Christmas holiday took a toll. My Moser rear axle was drop shipped from Moser and arrived 12/15/2020. Factory Five placed the order to Moser (and Wilwood) right after I made the final payment.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

25. Thanks KippRacing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Moser took about ~6 to 7 weeks once ordered by FFR and dropped shipped from Moser..... That was Late 2022.

Mark
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Brevard, NC

27. Thanks KippRacing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just received my truck sunday and per your post I went to work inventorying everything. missing one whole box, which was known, then they forgot a whole bag of parts in one box. Missing misc. nuts, bolts and wires too. All stuff that was marked as being in the inventory.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just received my truck sunday and per your post I went to work inventorying everything. missing one whole box, which was known, then they forgot a whole bag of parts in one box. Missing misc. nuts, bolts and wires too. All stuff that was marked as being in the inventory.
    It happens... but FFR will make it right!

Mark
    Mark
    '35 Truck
    Brevard, NC

30. Likes KippRacing liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    KippRacing

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the hard part sometimes is KNOWING what is missing. The last batch of missing parts that I received was all the hardware for mounting the fenders and running boards. These parts are listed no where, they are just supposed to come with the "full fender" option. Yet I had all the fiberglass parts for that option.

Good luck with your build!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm following along with mkassab's build thread along with others. Glad to see there are a bunch of people here to answer questions if they should arise. I see the manual was revised in dec of 2022. It'll be interesting to see if I got the right bolts for the front suspension since everyone seems to be getting the wrong size for the bushings.