Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Detroit Autorama 2023 Gen 3 Coupe #59

Post Thanks / Like

Detroit Autorama 2023 Gen 3 Coupe #59

It’s Monday morning after a long and tiring weekend attending and showing the Coupe at the 2023 Detroit Autorama at Huntington Place (formerly Cobo Hall) in downtown Detroit, Michigan. As of late last night, the Coupe is safely back in our home garage. Cut to the chase – managed to score another first-place award in the 1400.0 Handbuilt Sports class. That’s twice for the Coupe. The first time was three years ago just after it was finished and not driven or legal. Fun to show it again as a driver, although pretty sure its Autorama days are over. But it was a good run. Here’s a recap and observations from the experience.

Late last year I began to think about doing Autorama for the fifth time and possibly taking the new truck build. The cut-off for the application was the end of January. The truck paint wasn’t complete and since the application includes sending a number of pictures that just wasn’t going to happen. So I decided to take the Coupe again and submitted the application. In hindsight, although now almost fully painted, the truck wouldn’t have been ready in time. Several weeks later, received notification the Coupe was accepted. Our move-in was Wednesday night before the weekend of the show. It was a cold, icy, and snowy day (like much of the country) but we got in relatively quickly, found our assigned spot, and got back out in just over the hour time limit. Friday morning I arrived early, finished the setup, and settled in for three days. I was given a great spot this year. Near show center and toward the front. Just steps away from the crazy high-end builds including the eight finalists for the Riddler award. You can see the winner, announced late Sunday, here https://www.motortrend.com/events/19...troit-autorama. Move-out was somewhat crazy as usual. Not choreographed like move-in. But we waited our turn and got home by around 10:00 PM.

I don’t have any insight regarding actual attendance numbers and how they compared to previous years. But seemed very busy to me. Especially through most of the day on Saturday when the aisles were pretty much clogged with attendees. There were often people 4-5 deep in front of the Coupe waiting for their turn to get closer. Lots of questions, discussions, and pictures. Of course, the usual “Is it real?” and the occasional less than complimentary “It’s just a kit car…” And the “experts” who guessed it was a Ferrari, Jaguar, Cheetah, etc. Even a couple who asked if it was an Opel. Um, no. I made a point of having my “What is it?” sign displayed along with my diecast of what the original looked like. But for most a verbal explanation worked better when needed. Overall, the reception was incredibly positive. I would frequently watch people approaching the Coupe with a smile. Even though obviously not the original blue and white, everyone loved the candy red color. The Coyote power also received a lot of attention and compliments. I showed it with the driver door open so people could see inside. Which led to the usual "Will I fit?" and "How do you get in and out?" Dozens of people said this was on their bucket list to build. Overwhelming positive comments about Factory Five in general. (Still waiting by the mailbox for my commission check…) So overall a very positive and enjoyable experience.

Now that it’s over, I’ve found myself considering how my humble little homebuilt kit Coupe belonged in the same show as the huge number of automotive art masterpieces. They really are incredible. How could attendees walk through those displays and then come to mine and be so complimentary and impressed? I’ve concluded that it’s probably mostly a matter of accessibility. While it’s amazing to see those high end builds, for most it’s never going to be something they can personally own or experience. For sure including me. But they see a Factory Five build as something they could possibly attain so have a more invested interest. I had a number of people comment that they had never seen a Coupe, or a Factory Five for that matter, in person. And were impressed. Which led to several discussions about cost. My build cost is my business. But I would always explain the general kit costs, options, etc.

Enough babble. Here are pictures from the show. I’m not a huge fan of pictures of myself. Usually avoid them. But included a picture with the award at the Coupe right before the show closed. Also included a picture of the award next to a small poster I made of the time I met Peter Brock several months ago. What an honor that was.

And if that wasn’t enough, I did a six minute walkaround video before the show started on Friday. I did a similar video three years ago which probably some of you have seen. But the audio was terrible so tried again. Still not very professional. But this one is better. https://youtu.be/wlfgw0vDo-8

Final comments, in conclusion, about the Handbuilt Sports class. In past shows I’ve attended, there were always several Cobras, an occasional Coupe, even a GT40 one year. I didn’t see any of those this year. Other than mine of course. I didn’t see every car in the class. But the ones I did see were homemade versions of other cars, like a couple of MG’s. There was one completely original ground up homemade build that on first sight I decided was going to knock me out of contention. Talked to the older (I can say that, right?) gentleman that built it. It was a multiyear project that he’d been driving unpainted for 10 years. After getting it painted, he decided to show it at least once. Something he’d never done. He said he was just happy to be there and didn’t care whether it won any awards. That’s good because it didn’t place. I was surprised but didn’t look too closely. Apparently the judges did. But still an interesting build so here’s a picture. My props to anyone who can accomplish this.

That’s it. Back to finish the truck build and then on to the next project.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-28-2023 at 06:24 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Paul!! Looks stunning.

3. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    congratulations on the award!! very well deserved. I always love getting a chance seeing your car. It was also nice to talk to you as well again. As an FYI this year was much busier than last year. Last year I could leisurely walk through the aisles and see what I wanted. This year like you described above I had in some cases wait in line to get near something I wanted to see.

But once again congratulations on the award and can't wait until next year to see if your truck will do the same. From what I have seen it has got a good shot.

5. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,
    Congrats, you and the coupe deserve the awards. It is an exceptional build.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

7. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on the award! Great photos, too! It cracks me up (not sure why, but it does) that they put you between two Chevys. I'm sure this was an exhausting weekend, but it sounds like it well worth it!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

9. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    Congratulations on the award! Great photos, too! It cracks me up (not sure why, but it does) that they put you between two Chevys. I'm sure this was an exhausting weekend, but it sounds like it well worth it!
    Thanks. To you and others. I don't think there's any effort by the organizers to combine brands or keep one from associating with another. We were just talking last night about how complicated it must be to lay out the show floor. But to your point -- that teal car next to mine is actually a Pontiac. Yup. One of a kind. The builder used the passenger seats forward portion of a second generation Bonneville (1959-1960) and built a Ranchero/El Camino style pickup bed from various other parts including a station wagon. He had all the parts listed on his signs. I don't remember them all. It was flawless. Looked exactly like it came out of the factory that way. I thought at first it was a concept car since I didn't remember an original like that from Pontiac, which it turns out there wasn't.
    Last edited by edwardb; 02-27-2023 at 04:57 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    The car looks gorgeous. Of course they always look even better with a First Place Trophy!

Congrats, very cool.
    "You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have."

FFR #7430 - MK4 Roadster - 302 w/ T5 Five speed - 17" FFR wheels.

12. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How did you get that candy red to look THAT GOOD? For a moment I thought it was Mazda Soul Red Crystal!
    Mk4 Roadster: Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, T56 Magnum. Build thread here.

14. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Looks beautiful, well deserved.

16. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your build continues to inspire. Congratulations on the well deserved victory

18. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    congrats paul. can't wait to see the truck in it's finished form.

20. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was a great show and LOTS of cars to see. So to take home an award is no small feat. It was great to talk with you and can't wait to see that truck in person as well.

22. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Breath takingly beautiful. You deserved the award!
    FFR 9883 MKIV ,427 Windsor engine
    TKX 5 speed, Three Link 3.55 gears
    Power Steering, Leather Seats
    18" Wheels and Tires, Drop Trunk
    Fun Package

24. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go, Paul! Love your gorgeous coupe!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

26. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, have followed your builds over the years. I think you built three while I was completing my first! Your attention to detail is always top notch. The coupe is definitely stunning, and as others have mentioned, can't wait to see the completed truck. Just wish I could see them in person. I almost forgot to congratulate you on the win!
    Last edited by EZ$; 03-01-2023 at 04:36 PM. Reason: additional info
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

28. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For being a driver now she still is very beautiful. Love that red. Great show. Thanks for sharing.

30. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was great meeting you Paul. The coupe was stunning, and though the pictures are great, they still don't fully do it justice like viewing in person does. Congrats on the award, very much deserved in my opinion. Looking forward to the finished truck build.

32. Thanks edwardb thanked for this post