FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Paint Question (typical)

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Question (typical)

Hi All,

I have not posted in while. Working with a local painter on body prep.

Completed all the fit/alignment while the body was on the frame. Decided to remove before painting with spray poly.

Thinking of returning back to the frame for block sanding prior to final primer and paint.

My painter and I are going back/forth about completing the final paint with the body on (he wants to keep it on, I would like to paint it off).

I know there are a equal numbers in the body on camp vs the body off camp …

Just curious to hear from the body off camp, if there is any concern with paint cracking when flexing the body on the reinstall ?

Is there anything in the in the prep or paint that can help to avoid.

Not a paint guy so any input is appreciated.

Thanks
    B6CE73FC-94B6-46D8-AB71-92289B1638F7.jpegE350BC88-4817-4845-A1C5-B2139FB4D6BB.jpg
    Last edited by mlewis; 03-06-2023 at 07:01 PM.
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I plan to assemble, fit gaps, remove from frame, paint, then reassemble. My last project I completed about a year ago was a Jeep CJ7 body off frame restoration, and that is the process I used. All the taping in the world still does not give you that "perfect" look of a body painted off the chassis. New bolts going through new paint onto a detailed frame is awesome. However, you will need to be extra careful during final assembly to prevent scratching that new paint, but with a little caution, it will all come together nicely. Paint is more flexible that you may think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Body off. Always. No issues with paint damage going on or off…unless you drop it!

Jeff

4. Likes steno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Body off. Always. No issues with paint damage going on or off…unless you drop it!

Jeff
    Jeff is the number 1 expert here IMHO.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems the pros who produce the best results & have done many many cars go with body off.

Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had them done both ways. No question the most common is body off. By a wide margin. As Jeff said, handled with reasonable care there shouldn't be any risk to the paint. The shops that have done mine body on expressed concern that it would go back on in exactly the same place and preserve the gaps, alignment, etc. I haven't found that to be an issue at all. Painting body on also involves a lot more work masking everything off and even then there's likely to be additional overspray, dust, etc. to clean up.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

8. Likes steno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all.

I really appreciate the input from this experienced group.

I will let you know how it turns out
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Be sure your painter makes up some brackets or something so the parts, especially the doors, are painted in the orientation they will be installed in. I have heard several times that metallic paints can look different if one part is sprayed while vertical and another while horizontal.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Be sure your painter makes up some brackets or something so the parts, especially the doors, are painted in the orientation they will be installed in. I have heard several times that metallic paints can look different if one part is sprayed while vertical and another while horizontal.
    Correct!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course your painter wants to keep it on; less work in the long run. Assuming they're on the hook for body removal and installation, of course.

I'm DIY, so I'm painting my body myself and more than likely it'll be installed. Mostly because I don't have tons of space to store everything while I do the work. I plan on doing all the body trimming work before I install it, then after installation the doors/trunk/hood will all be aligned and sanded. While they're all installed I'll do everything (bondo to clear coat).

Will I learn some lessons? More than likely.
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    The Pro's ALWAYS paint with body off. I suspect there is a reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my case, body off. The body was on and off the chassis quite a few times in the process, so I got pretty good at being careful with it. The reason that the inner body is covered is that I did an aluminum paint drybrush effect on the inside to mimic mill-finish aluminum panels.

As for cracking, given that the bodies expand and contract due to temp changes and sunlight, your painter should use an appropriate flex agent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MB750 View Post
    Of course your painter wants to keep it on; less work in the long run...
    You couldn’t be more wrong. If painting with the body on the chassis the doors, hood, trunk lid, sidepipes, windshield, roll bars and bumpers all have to be removed. At that point you’re looking at an additional 5 minutes to lift the body off and set it on a buck (don’t believe me…look up the video I posted of me removing a body solo). That versus HOURS spent covering and masking if the body is left on which in the end impedes access to spray door/hood/trunk jambs, cockpit perimeter and inside wheel wells. But hey, what do I know—-you do you

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I have painted over 750 FFR roadsters "Body Off".....but I will say this,,, If your painter is more comfortable (Body on) then let him do it the way he is most comfortable with. I would be happy to talk to him if you like to help him have his concerns met. I remember the first time I did "Stripes First". Never ,ever had I done a Z-28 , SS Nova,SS Chevelle or AMX with shadow mask first. I would never do them first after what I have learned over the years.... 951-676-0191 Jeff..."Da Bat"....Miller

Post Thanks / Like
    You couldn’t be more wrong. If painting with the body on the chassis the doors, hood, trunk lid, sidepipes, windshield, roll bars and bumpers all have to be removed. At that point you’re looking at an additional 5 minutes to lift the body off and set it on a buck (don’t believe me…look up the video I posted of me removing a body solo). That versus HOURS spent covering and masking if the body is left on which in the end impedes access to spray door/hood/trunk jambs, cockpit perimeter and inside wheel wells. But hey, what do I know—-you do you

Jeff
    Perhaps then I should reconsider. My logic behind my thoughts was that I'll be driving my car in gelcoat for a few months. I can do a lot of the body work during that time. But when I start the whole paint process I'll need somewhere to store both the car and the body for however long it takes me to do all the work. I certainly can't swap out locations of each since the body is strapped to the ceiling of my garage right now.

Initially I wasn't planning on making it all fit in a weekend either, and I'm not interested in leaving my Cobra outside overnight for any length of time, especially without the body on it. If the counterpoint to that is masking off a bunch of the car, to me that's worth it. I'm only working with a 2-car garage here and during the paint I'll convert it to a paint booth (the best I can anyway).

The hood, doors, and trunk will be removed, of course. I'll build some trees to hold them vertical for spraying.
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    …I'll be driving my car in gelcoat for a few months. I can do a lot of the body work during that time…
    Just as a warning, once you crack through the gelcoat or start adding filler you should take the car off the road. Open fiberglass and filler are permeable and and road grime or contaminates that get into the surface can come back to haunt you later.

As for orientation here’s how I do them; doors vertical, hood, scoop and trunk horizontal just like they get installed.

Hit us up with questions and we’ll try to help!

Jeff

19. Thanks MB750, Mark Eaton thanked for this post
    Likes Nigel Allen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just as a warning, once you crack through the gelcoat or start adding filler you should take the car off the road. Open fiberglass and filler are permeable and and road grime or contaminates that get into the surface can come back to haunt you later.

As for orientation here’s how I do them; doors vertical, hood, scoop and trunk horizontal just like they get installed.

Hit us up with questions and we’ll try to help!

Jeff
    This is my favorite way to learn a lesson; directly from someone else's experience. Thanks Jeff! Multiple things there I had not considered. Might have to kick my wife's car to the curb (literally) while I paint the Cobra.
    Matt
    My build thread here

21. Likes Nigel Allen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All, as usual, a very productive and helpful input.

I have painted over 750 FFR roadsters "Body Off".....but I will say this,,, If your painter is more comfortable (Body on) then let him do it the way he is most comfortable with. I would be happy to talk to him if you like to help him have his concerns met. I remember the first time I did "Stripes First". Never ,ever had I done a Z-28 , SS Nova,SS Chevelle or AMX with shadow mask first. I would never do them first after what I have learned over the years.... 951-676-0191 Jeff..."Da Bat"....Miller
    Thanks for your generous offer Jeff. I will let him know and urge him to reach out with his questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Related question (sort of). What color are people painting the insides of the doors, hood, and trunk?
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    Related question (sort of). What color are people painting the insides of the doors, hood, and trunk?
    usually same as the body color.

Post Thanks / Like
    The underside of my hood and trunk areHood.jpg matte black. Inside of doors is body color.
    MK4 Complete kit FFR9939. Gen 1 Coyote, Tremec 3650, IRS 3.31 ratio, Breeze radiator stuff, Breeze cubby and battery mount, North Race Cars heat and A/C, RT drop trunk kit, Replica Parts radiator aluminum and brake booster spacer, FFR soft top.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ones I do are always body color, sometimes even with matching stripes…but that’s a whole other conversation

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, looks like dealer's choice. I'll have a gallon, I'm figuring that's enough for the whole car but on the chance it's not I was just going to go satin black on the insides of doors/trunk/hood.
    Matt
    My build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, looks like dealer's choice. I'll have a gallon, I'm figuring that's enough for the whole car but on the chance it's not I was just going to go satin black on the insides of doors/trunk/hood.
    If you’re doing stripes you need 1 quart of stripe color plus 1 gallon of body color. This will be enough for underside of hood & trunk and inside doors. If you’re not doing stripes add another quart of body color.

Jeff

29. Thanks MB750 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can't say its universal but most of the guys in my group have the whole car,except for the underside, in body color.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I've seen hundreds of these builds and can't remember more than a couple that weren't body color everywhere.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Body off definitely unless you want to spend hours of masking off everything including all the way to the floor. Overspray gets everywhere including on the frame, wheel wells, radiator etc...