Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Exhaust wedges

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust wedges

I am in the process of installing side-pipes on a Daytona Coupe and I am looking for what (breeze wedges) did others use. I am using the FFR supplied ball headers with Gas-N side pipes and the engine is a gen 3 Coyote. Also, looking for how close the side-pipes should be to the body. On my passenger side, I need at least (2) 1/4 in. wedges to get pipes away from the body. On the driver side, the FFR ball headers can not be adjusted enough to close the gap between the GAS-N side pipes and the header. Not sure how to attack this problem without cutting out more fiberglass around the header opening to be able to lower the side-pipes. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Mark III 347/435 hp TKO 3.55 axle
    Gen 3 Daytona Coyote Gen 3 T56 3.73 diff. (In build)
    Superlite SLC LS3 480 hp Graziano Transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont see how you could use wedges on the Daytona side pipes. Its just a ball and socket connection unless you have the really old side pipes.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    The side pipes are new from Gas-N and the exhaust headers were new with the kit a couple of years ago. The passenger side would be touching the body w/o the wedges just outside of the body cutout. The driver side is worse, header angle to the side pipe exceeds the the ball to socket capture angle. Another way of saying it, there a opening around the ball to the socket of the header with the side pipes are installed with the body on. The FFR headers seems to be angled down too far. I did not notice the issues when I mounted the side pipes to just the chassis (without body) to start the engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok but the wedges are a 4 bolt unit with four ports like the Cobra side pipes. Wedges wont help you on the daytona.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point!

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve had to use wedges to correct the GasN sidepipe misalignment on Coupes. The header and sidepipe flanges as well as the wedges are all the same size and shape even though the Coupe exhaust has that funky and restrictive kidney shaped merge where the 2 pipes split off from the flange.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,
    FFR doesn't make them anymore. the side exhaust had a female ball to mate to the headers.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Jeff,
    FFR doesn't make them anymore. the side exhaust had a female ball to mate to the headers.
    Mike
    Thanks for that Mike. I haven’t seen one that recent.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    The new headers may work with the Factory Five side pipes but they are not fitting with the Gas-N side pipes. I have previously stated what I am experiencing. Georgie, from Gas-N said they would work (they do bolt up). PS-too close to the body cut-out without 1/2 in worth of wedges. DS- angle exceeds ball and socket adjustment. I don’t have my FFR side pipes to check their compatible with the FFR headers. I would assume they would work. Left a message with George from Gas-N.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had to do a combination of things to get my Gas-N pipes to fit. Wedges, double wedges on one side, enlarge the body cutouts, loosening the transmission mount and moving the transmission over a little bit. They're now parallel and level with the body. About an 1-1/2 away.