Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What battery fuse do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

What battery fuse do you use?

I would like to install a fuse at the battery just as an extra precaution since battery is in trunk. Thinking this would work.
    Fuse

Is 250A a good size for the 33 with a 302 SBF. I searched around on the forum and did not find any specifics. I am sure this has already been ask.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the fuse size depends on how much load you have in the electrical system, not the engine size. For example, accessories like air conditioning and electrical power steering will draw more current - so you need a bigger fuse. 250 A is probably fine for a basic build. You may want something larger if you have power hungry accessories. I have a 300 A main fuse on my accessory-heavy '33. I also have a supplemental 100 A fuse block for some accessories and a separate 90 A fuse for my audio power amp.

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff33Ford View Post
    I would like to install a fuse at the battery just as an extra precaution since battery is in trunk. Thinking this would work.
    Fuse

Is 250A a good size for the 33 with a 302 SBF. I searched around on the forum and did not find any specifics. I am sure this has already been ask.
    Thanks
    Jeff
    I have that in a duel on my 68 Camaro, one is a 200 amp and the other is a 30 amp. I use the 200 for my starter, then it powers the duel fans which then have 40 amp Maxi fuses for each fan. The 30 for my Holley EFI
    20230318_150712.jpg20230318_150720.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuse

Thanks
    Jeff
    The 250A mega fuse is the same size as is provided for the Coyote controls pack from Ford Performance. Should work fine.
    Like what was done in a previous post, I have a 250A mega fuse to connect to the starter. I have a second run using a 100A mega fuse for the controls pack and the AAW harness. If you are using any kind of EFI, a direct connection to the battery is most likely required.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I was debating using a dual fuse as well. Might as well since it is no big deal to add now since I do have a separate run for the EFI and MSD. Main thing is it looks like 250A should be plenty for starting. By the way I am using the Powermaster 9162 starter and should not draw any more than stock starter with the gear reduction and not a big compression engine. Everything is fused further down the line. This is just a worst case scenario and not burn the car to the ground protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I was debating using a dual fuse as well. Might as well since it is no big deal to add now since I do have a separate run for the EFI and MSD. Main thing is it looks like 250A should be plenty for starting. By the way I am using the Powermaster 9162 starter and should not draw any more than stock starter with the gear reduction and not a big compression engine. Everything is fused further down the line. This is just a worst case scenario and not burn the car to the ground protection.
    Mine is a 200 amp and cranking a big block 10.2:1 comp, 600Hp and no issues so far. I'm sure you're good with the 250