BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What is your yearly Coupe maintenance routine?

Post Thanks / Like

What is your yearly Coupe maintenance routine?

Pretty much says it in the title— curious what folks here deem to be required yearly maintenance (besides obvious things like oil changes).
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    Having done it a few times, aside from the obvious (as you said) oil change and chassis lube, mostly inspections. Check and clean the air filter as needed. Check all the radiator clamps. I take all four tire/wheels off. Check the brakes for pad wear, rotor condition, etc. Check the tires for any obvious issues. Check the IRS axle nuts which used to be an issue with the older version. But not so much with the newer. But I have witness marks and watch closely. Then look over all the suspension underneath and typically check the bolts. I haven't had any loosen but still keep an eye out. Next year, which will be after four seasons, I'll probably be thinking about other fluids, e.g. coolant, transmission, diff, brakes, for flush and re-fill. Haven't decided exactly yet. I typically do all the work before putting the Coupe into hibernation for the Michigan winter. Additionally just overall clean/detail, STABIL-360 in the gas, and run the battery checker every month or so. Basically so it's ready to go when the weather allows. For this season, hoping that's next week.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks as always Paul! I do have a question on the chassis lube— one issue I noticed early on was that when my nuts and bolts were torqued to spec that it would not allow for the lube to flow through and out the suspension bushings. In fact I almost blew out a bushing one time as I noticed it bulging because of the pressure buildup. Have you had any similar issues? Do you find you have to loosen and replace the nuts in order to get lube to flow through the bushings?
    Cheers,

--jim

Build 1: Gen III Type 65 Coupe, Gen II Coyote

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphamacaroon View Post
    Thanks as always Paul! I do have a question on the chassis lube— one issue I noticed early on was that when my nuts and bolts were torqued to spec that it would not allow for the lube to flow through and out the suspension bushings. In fact I almost blew out a bushing one time as I noticed it bulging because of the pressure buildup. Have you had any similar issues? Do you find you have to loosen and replace the nuts in order to get lube to flow through the bushings?
    No, I don't loosen the bolts. I also don't keep pumping until something bulges or whatever. I make sure I have a good connection to the zerk, make several pumps, then call it good. They were fully packed when I built the car (I lube them and make sure before assembling them into the chassis) and the grease isn't going anywhere. Some score the outer faces of the poly bushings to help grease flow. I've tried that and doesn't seem to make a big difference. I can typically see a little grease around the edges of the poly bushings where they contact the frame tabs. That should be good.

Now, having said the above, the upper front UCA's are the exception. Those I pump grease until it comes out around the edges. They're relatively small, so typically doesn't take a lot. But you want those to be wet with grease at all times. Multiple instances of guys letting those go dry and then the worst happens.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Flavor of model makes no difference. Here's some reading for you.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ic-Maintenance
    Frank