Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Build Requirements In California

Post Thanks / Like

Build Requirements In California

Does anyone know where I can get information on what is required on our roadsters to make them street legal in California? Specifically, I'm looking to see if the defroster is required as well as wipers. If anyone's been down this road before I'd really appreciate your input if you know the answer. Thank you.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    While the vehicle code calls for wipers, there is no inspection specific to wipers within the SPCNS registration process. My car has a heater with no defrosters and no wipers. It is currently registered in CA.

Post Thanks / Like
    X2 what Frank said.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Frank and thank you Rick. I didn't like the defroster parts in my kit, too much plastic. Glad to hear I dont need to install it. I appreciate you guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    I registered my car in 2020. No wipers, no heater, no defroster. Light inspection they checked headlight, brake light, blinkers and hi/low beam functions. Smog the only requirement was pcv. You need hose that has pcv written on it. One hose from valve cover to air cleaner and one hose with pcv valve to pcv port on carb/fi. I had quick jacks for bumpers. You also need a vehicle I’d tag assigned and attached to your car by the Chp. Chp is the only one that can do this. Ask me how I know that.

Ken
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    Ken, I got the CHP to use the stamped frame number for the VIN. They didn't have to attach anything.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kobra01 View Post
    You also need a vehicle I’d tag assigned and attached to your car by the Chp. Chp is the only one that can do this. Ask me how I know that.

Ken
    I think this varies from place to place, or has evolved over time. I just went to the DMV this week to start the CA SB100 process. After submitting all my forms and receipts and paying my fees I was given a receipt for the fees and a temporary operating permit. I was instructed to attach the metal FFR S/N tag to the car and come back to the DMV for VIN verification. This was the first time I'd heard of this so I asked the manager to confirm that I didn't need to go to the CHP and she told me that I could take care of it at the DMV. The receipt that I was given for the fees also states: "VERIFICATION OF VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER BY A PEACE OFFICER, AN AUTHORIZED EMPLOYEE OF THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES OR A LICENSED VEHICLE VERIFIER." I haven't been back yet to do this next step so can't definitely confirm that this is the case, but I would definitely ask at your DMV when you go to begin the SB100 process.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ken,
    Thanks for the heads up on the inspection requirements. I feel more comfortable now that everyone has provided some input. Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I think this varies from place to place, or has evolved over time. I just went to the DMV this week to start the CA SB100 process. After submitting all my forms and receipts and paying my fees I was given a receipt for the fees and a temporary operating permit. I was instructed to attach the metal FFR S/N tag to the car and come back to the DMV for VIN verification. This was the first time I'd heard of this so I asked the manager to confirm that I didn't need to go to the CHP and she told me that I could take care of it at the DMV. The receipt that I was given for the fees also states: "VERIFICATION OF VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER BY A PEACE OFFICER, AN AUTHORIZED EMPLOYEE OF THE DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES OR A LICENSED VEHICLE VERIFIER." I haven't been back yet to do this next step so can't definitely confirm that this is the case, but I would definitely ask at your DMV when you go to begin the SB100 process.
    This is because the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. If you point out to the person behind the counter that the serial number is laser etched into the chassis the "faux tag" F5R give you becomes irrelevant. Also keep in mind that each DMV seems to have different "requirements". Some ask for a brake and light inspection and others don't. Sure would be nice if they could all get on the same page. Mine had a VIN tag that was assigned and installed by CHP. They would not allow the chassis number to be the assigned VIN #.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's worse than that. Each employee at the DMV has a different understanding of the process. Daniel (facultyofmusic) went to the same DMV I did a few weeks before me, and there was no mention of being able to do VIN verification at the DMV vs. the CHP.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    As with the SB100 process, knowledge is your best friend. Read, learn and understand the process as best you can from posts here in advance. If you do you have a chance to make recommendations to the DMV agents and to point out to the CHP you have the FFR assigned ID on the frame. I dogged both a misinformed DMV agent and after a discussion with the CHP officer, having the FFR chassis number assigned as my VIN. Although I registered my car in 2014, I would suspect not much has changed with those behind the counter.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    It makes no sense for them not to put a publication out to send to each DMV office outlining the process so that it is performed the same way at each office. Since there are only a maximum of 500 throughout the state each year there's no way the counter people are going to have a clue.
    Rick