FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR front spindle install question.

Post Thanks / Like

FFR front spindle install question.

After 7 months I finally received my front spindles for my coupe kit and I am having trouble with the install. When I attempt to screw on the castle nut for the upper ball joint, the ball joint just spins with the nut and it doesn't go any further up the threads. The manual say to torque to 75 ft-lbs. I have no idea how will get to that torque spec when the ball joint spins so freely just trying to get the nut on. I am using the Howe racing ball joints instead of the FFR provided ones. Is there a set screw or something that is supposed to be used to hold the ball joint in place while torqueing to spec?

Thanks in advance.

V/R

Shakey
    Shakey. Coupe Base kit ordered Dec 2021. Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Daytona-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you put loctite on the BJ threads and torque it down tightly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you may be describing the tapered ball joint stud is turning in the spindle? (If not, ignore the rest of my post...) The Howe ball joints are relatively free-turning compared to OE style ball joints. It's necessary to get the spindle tightly wedged onto the ball joint stud to keep the stud from turning. But I personally haven't found that to be difficult. The castle nut should turn on the threads easy enough. Once it starts tightening, the stud is wedged in enough that it doesn't turn. Is it possible you're running out of threads before the stud is tight in the spindle? I found it necessary to add a hardened washer under the castle nut. Seen in this picture. These are the Howe ball joints.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to get the tapered ball joint stud to seat or wedge into the tapered hole in the spindle so that it resists spinning. Easiest way to do this is with a whack from above.

Jeff

EDIT TO PAUL: Once again we’re typing at the same time

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    You need to get the tapered ball joint stud to seat or wedge into the tapered hole in the spindle so that it resists spinning. Easiest way to do this is with a whack from above.

Jeff

EDIT TO PAUL: Once again we’re typing at the same time
    I left out the whack part, but agree sometimes that's needed too.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for the comments. Got it solved. Looks like to upper ball joint was not fully seated in the spindle. That plus the grease I added made it really easy for the ball joint stud to just spin. I cleaned off the grease and made sure the tapered studd was fully seated with a little force and the nut went on just fine. I did use the washer with the castle nut that came with the Howe ball joint.

Thanks again,

V/r

Shakey
    Shakey. Coupe Base kit ordered Dec 2021. Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Daytona-Build