Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mystery Aluminum Panel Identification

Post Thanks / Like

Mystery Aluminum Panel Identification

So, I bought a virtually unstarted coupe kit, and I've been going through inventory on it. The front firewall was already completed by the seller (setup for Wilwood pedal box), and all the panels that come mounted on the chassis from Factory Five have already been removed. I'm to the point in the inventory where 90% of what's left are mystery aluminum panels. I'm hoping to get assistance identifying panels (though, after writing this whole post, I'm wondering if I should just email the images to Factory Five).

I've figured out most of them so far, but these two have me stumped. The diagram in the back of the manual isn't particularly helpful with these. I flipped through a few of the aluminum heavy sections (front firewall, rear firewall, and some of the tunnel parts), but haven't had any luck yet.

This one looks like it might be a variant of 80448 - Right Side Cockpit Front, but it is flat. Despite the perspective in the photo, all corners are 90's. I thought this might be a panel that has variants for cable throttle vs DBW throttle (donor is an '06 DBW) and that this is an unused variant.

PXL_20230402_223111591.MP.jpg

This is a thicker piece. Possibly steel? It doesn't really look like steel, but it feels too heavy to be aluminum. Definitely looks like a mounting bracket or backing plate. I was going to guess Wilwood pedal box related, but didn't see it in the instructions at all. It could also potentially be a Kirkey seat piece, but I haven't looked in the box for the second seat yet for a set of assembly instructions.
    PXL_20230402_223039715.MP.jpg

Any assistance is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have an 818s that I’m in the early stages of building even though I’ve had it since 2021 (lots of life gets in the way)
    But I have read the assembly manual maybe ten times over he years and unless I’m missing or forgetting something I don’t recognize those pieces. Maybe they’re specific to the coupe kit?
    Sorry I couldn’t be of more help

Post Thanks / Like
    The larger one looks like the center-left front firewall panel. PN 80488 which is called Right Side Cockpit Front. In my manual, it looks like they have the nonmenclature wrong on this part and 80123 and 80124. Left side is driver side, correct?

I also bought a slightly started kit. I didn't inventory as thoroughly as I should have. When I found missing parts, the previous owner helped me get one from FFR, but others, FFR blew it off as it had been too long since purchase. Expect some omissions
    Last edited by driveslikejehu; 04-03-2023 at 07:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to both of you. I agree it looks like 80488 (regardless of terminology). I think that part may have been revised over the years, or is donor/pedal box dependent. I fired off an email to Factory Five, so we'll see what they say. Otherwise I'll mark them as mystery panels and set them aside until needed. I'm mostly worried if it is an 80488, is the correct one on the car?

E: in terms of inventory, the seller gave me a list of parts that were not included in the kit that were to be shipped later. I think most of the list is accounted for, but there are still a few missing that are owed. The kit was originally delivered last August. The one that has me most concerned are the headlight covers. Though, I haven't located the coupe hatch, yet.
    Last edited by rjp; 04-03-2023 at 08:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave Lindsey from FF got back to me. The larger panel is indeed part of the cockpit front wall of using the Wilwood pedals. It isn't shown in the pedalbox instructions at all. I'll need to check the inventory sheet for the pedalbox to see if I missed it. Unfortunately, this may mean I've got to drill out some rivets, but that would allow me to paint the aluminum panels.

The second part is a double reservoir mount for the pedalbox. Also not sure where that fits in, as it too is not mentioned in the pedalbox instructions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately you will notice besides the main aluminum panels there is not much info in the manual for the smaller panels. It ends up being a bit of a guessing game and forum hunting for pictures of them installed.