BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Help for very tall guy who wants a gen 3 type 65 coupe

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another option could be the drop seat mod that used to be done in the previous generations of coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narkosys View Post
    Another option could be the drop seat mod that used to be done in the previous generations of coupe.
    Don't think that's practical. The cockpit floor sits directly on the main chassis frame that at ride height (at least on mine) is only a few inches off the ground.

To the OP, seats are where it's at. I'd be cautious about drawing much of a conclusion from other builds unless they have the same seats you would use. It makes a huge difference. The prototype, which I saw in person in Wareham when it was introduced, had Kirkey racing seats mounted directly on the floor and all the way back against the back wall. With no padding. Pretty sure that's the one they still have in the showroom and maybe it's still set up the same way. When I sat it in, I was directly looking through the steering wheel and barely over the dash. Granted, I'm only 5'9", but it has a lot of space. Don't know if your height is going to work, but not set up any differently than that. There's a little bit of wiggle room to adjust the Wilwood pedal box and lower the pedals. And I've heard of some who have raised the steering column at the dash. At the very least you'd want a quick release steering wheel. Which I have and even at my height helps. Gurney bubble? Now there's an interesting thought.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-07-2023 at 04:05 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Don't think that's practical. The cockpit floor sits directly on the main chassis frame that at ride height (at least on mine) is only a few inches off the ground.

To the OP, seats are where it's at. I'd be cautious about drawing much of a conclusion from other builds unless they have the same seats you would use. It makes a huge difference. The prototype, which I saw in person in Wareham when it was introduced, had Kirkey racing seats mounted directly on the floor and all the way back against the back wall. With no padding. Pretty sure that's the one they still have in the showroom and maybe it's still set up the same way. When I sat it in, I was directly looking through the steering wheel and barely over the dash. Granted, I'm only 5'9", but it has a lot of space. Don't know if your height is going to work, but not set up any differently than that. There's a little bit of wiggle room to adjust the Wilwood pedal box and lower the pedals. And I've heard of some who have raised the steering column at the dash. At the very least you'd want a quick release steering wheel. Which I have and even at my height helps. Gurney bubble? Now there's and interesting thought.
    Thanks for the great information! Sounds like I will eventually need to make a trip to see it in the showroom if still present and to start working out a compound solution.