Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: My Journey to the Next Project: Sling TSi Build

Post Thanks / Like

My Journey to the Next Project: Sling TSi Build

This is probably going to be more like an autobiography than a forum post. So, dig in for a long read. Or not. Your choice. Here goes. I’ve had a lifelong interest in aviation. Probably started when I was quite young when my dad and uncle built and flew u-control model airplanes. Flying in circles with lines attached to the models and you weren’t allowed to get dizzy. With model names like Smoothie, Nobler, Flight Streak, Flying Fool, and engines like Veco, Fox, and McCoy. If you remember any of this, you’re as old as I am. Later, in high school, I met the woodshop teacher who was also really into model airplanes. I joined an after-school club in his shop that mainly just built model airplanes. None of us had much money. But the teacher would buy balsa logs, sharpen things up, and cut strips and sheets for us to use. We still had to buy it. But sold by the board foot. I remember a fairly large glider I scratch built. The cost was around $2.00 for the balsa. We got into radio control, but again due to the cost, none of us could afford a radio. So, we made quick change trays so that we could quickly swap the teacher’s radio at the flying field and took turns. It was a somewhat new at the time proportional system. Bonner as I recall. Crude, large, and heavy by today’s standards. Later, with my paperboy money, I bought my own radio. It was a single channel setup that I could afford. One button push for right, two for left, and three to change the throttle position if you were really advanced. I started with rubber band powered escapements and later upgraded to battery powered servos. I remember the brand as Controlaire. Flew it a bunch. Carl Golberg and Sig kits. Even had one flyaway that was found months later miles away when a farmer was harvesting his field.

All of this fostered an interest in a career in aviation. Or full-scale as R/C’ers often say. To the humor of real pilots. I had my first lesson on my 16th birthday and later took off for college as an aviation major. Life and priorities changed, and I went in another direction. No regrets because I had a rewarding career in a completely different field. Along the way the radio control airplane hobby made the scene again and I was very active in multiple aspects for many years. Our oldest son joined me, which in turn, also caused his interest in a career in aviation. The difference was he stayed with it. He was specifically interested in mission and humanitarian related aviation. He graduated from Moody Aviation, in Elizabethton, Tennessee at the time, with a technical degree and a whole list of certifications. Later added a master’s degree. He taught A&P and beginning flight at another university while his wife finished her schooling. He joined Mission Aviation Fellowship, now in Nampa, Idaho, and off they went to Ecuador where they stayed for six years. He flew in and out of dozens of airstrips in the rain forest. I had the privilege of joining him a few times. Plus, I saw firsthand where the highest percentage of model airplane balsa wood came from. Then off to Africa for another six years. Less flying as he was the program manager. To finish that story, they’re back in Nampa at MAF headquarters where he’s their international director of safety. One of the reasons they returned was to improve educational opportunities for their kids. Two of which are now in university and the other will start high school next year.

When I bought my first Factory Five kit, a partially built MK3 Roadster, in 2009, that was a bucket list item I’d thought about for many years. I was still deep into R/C at the time. But after a year or two of car building and not touching any of the basement full of models and gear, I sold everything which financed my first engine. I’ve had a blast since then now completing my fifth Factory Five build. But my interest in aviation has never lessoned. Another bucket list item has always been to build an actual airplane. Not to get too dark, but last February, while in the hospital for a couple weeks with some health issues, realized the time to do that might be running out. I spent a lot of time looking at videos and brainstorming how I could do it. I didn’t have all the answers, but as often the case, sometimes you have to start a journey without knowing all the details or even the final destination. I decided to go for it. My wife (and pilot son…) thought I was a little crazy. OK, a lot crazy. But that hasn’t stopped me before.

There are a whole bunch of homebuilt airplane options. But for multiple reasons I kept coming back to the Sling TSi from Sling Aircraft in Johannesburg, South Africa. It’s a mostly all-aluminum airplane built with many of the same techniques and tools used for our car builds. It’s a 4-place low wing with full IFR instrumentation, Garmin glass cockpit, autopilot, FADEC engine, constant speed prop, among many cool features. I won’t spend much time here giving more details, other than to say it’s all pulled rivets (like our car builds) as opposed to solid bucked rivets. This is debated among experimental builders. I was very interested to see that Van’s Aircraft, one the largest and most well-known companies for homebuilts, except for their one LSA model, has long promoted solid and bucked/squeezed rivets. But their latest high wing model, just introduced at Oshkosh, is pulled rivets. Interesting. Anyway, enter “Sling TSi” in the YouTube search window and there are dozens of build and flight videos if you want to see more. I posted a picture at the end of this post.

Interestingly, Sling has been working on a high wing version of the TSi. Production kits already have a long backlog and I’m not interested in waiting. But to introduce them, three flew from Johannesburg, South Africa to Oshkosh this past summer and landed during the annual EAA show to great fanfare. Pretty crazy. Multiple YouTube’s on that too if you’re interested.

There are several options for the Sling TSi kit. The ”flat” version has all the parts loose except for the wing spars and a couple other parts and you do everything. There’s a “quick build” version that has the wings and part of the fuse pre-built. Just enough to stay within the 51% owner-built rule for experimental. There are also build assist centers where you can complete an entire build in about six months. One of which is less than an hour from me and I’ve had a chance to visit, get to know them, and see multiple kits underway. Quick build and build assist add significant cost and this isn’t a cheap exercise. I’m going with the “flat” version because that’s what I want to do plus avoiding the added cost. I ordered the empennage and wing kit in June of last year with a quoted lead time of 8 months. I received them on April 4. I’ll order more as lead time and my build speed dictates. I’m expecting this will be at least a 3-year project. I can do the subassemblies here in my basement and garage shop. But final assembly and beyond will have to be in a hangar. Will cross that bridge when it comes. Documentation is key for an experimental build. I’ll be taking a lot of pictures, marking the assembly manual as I go, and also recording my time. I have an app on my phone I can use for that. So far, I’ve logged just over 100 hours. I’ll share the link for pictures at the end of this post.

Maybe you’ve noticed by now I never said I’m a pilot. A few hours of training including a logbook with my son listed as the CFI which I’m very proud of. But I never completed anything and don’t expect I will. So, what am I going to do with this thing when it’s done? Again, I don’t have the final answer. I’m doing it because I’ve always wanted to and I love the build process. That’s enough for now. I would love to keep it in the family. But I haven’t gotten a clear signal from my son that he’s going to fly in it. A career in certified airplanes and now a professional safety manager, he has some reservations about experimental. Even though the Sling TSi, by all accounts is a robust and very safe airplane. Plus, it will be very carefully built. But I understand. It definitely would be sellable, so that’s an option. So is possibly donating. We’ll see when the time comes.

<< continued in the next post >>
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-28-2023 at 06:18 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

2. Likes RBachman, 2FAST4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Journey to the Next Project: Sling TSi Build (continued)

Several more random thoughts. Yes, it’s expensive. I have to laugh about this when I think about it. Back in my former radio control days, I’d get comments from others like “Man is that an expensive hobby.” I’d agree when I’d drop multiple hundred dollars on the latest kit, radio, servos, whatever. Or when my latest build crashed. Fast forward to the car building days, and those costs were a simple order for almost anything. Pretty much add a zero to all my R/C purchases. Let alone the cost of a complete build. When I go to car shows, sometimes people comment “Man is that an expensive hobby.” Now the cost of an airplane makes my car builds look like a bargain. General aviation is not for the faint of heart. And my costs will be for experimental. Certified parts, service, etc. are often twice as much and have many more restrictions. It’s all relative, right? I can make similar comparisons about our first house versus our current one, our first car versus our current one, and so on. I’m thankful to be in a position to do this and I will enjoy it.

I mentioned this build uses a lot of similar tools and techniques as our car builds. I’ve had to buy a few specialty tools, like the dimpler I showed in my truck build thread. And a whole bunch more Clecos. But for the most part, I have the tools I need. At least to get started. Interestingly, I’ve also noticed multiple other similarities. Lead times, supply chain issues, backordered parts, missing parts, complaints about errors/omissions in the documentation, complaints about support, multiple references to “upgrades” or “improvements” to the kits, builders asking questions that make you wonder if they read the manual or even should be attempting this (no comments please…), the company is only focused on new products (the high wing already mentioned), and so on. Have seen this in multiple homebuilt brands. Not just this one. For me, I intend to keep this a “by the book” build. The instructions and documentation so far are excellent. For the most part, missing or substitute parts are not available at your local hardware or big box store. Even the pulled rivets are special (from Gesipa, a German company) and not your standard variety. This build obviously brings gravity into play, unlike our car builds. So, I’m going to color inside the lines. My first two kits were delivered with zero backordered parts and one parts error. I received two right hand pieces of a wing component when there should have been a right and left. Has been corrected with the missing left hand piece received. Very impressive. We'll see if that carries over to the next wave of kits.

Another aspect, that I’m still learning about, is the whole documentation, inspection, and licensing process. Unlike our car builds, where there are variations between states and localities, some not so hard, some much more difficult, this is through the FAA and country wide. There are multiple steps and apparently can be challenging. I’ve already reserved my N number. Something recommended to get at the very beginning. Interestingly though, only one actual physical inspection and that’s at the end of the build.

I’m not planning a build thread with a lot of verbiage (no comments…) like with my car builds. I will however be taking a lot of pictures. They will be posted on the EAA Builder’s Log Site. It’s available for public access using this link: https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=PaulTSi. Follow along if you’re interested.

For grins, this is a slideshow of some of the R/C planes I’ve had over the years. Most are built from kits. The whole ready-to-fly movement that’s nearly taken over the hobby was just getting going when I stopped. https://www.photobucket.com/u/edward...b1e9/slideshow

Finally this is the Sling TSi. This particular one was built at the build center near me in Saginaw and was able to see in person last October. Impressive airplane and impressive build. Go to the EAA website to see how mine is doing.

Last edited by edwardb; 04-29-2023 at 11:06 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

4. Likes RBachman, David Williamson, 2FAST4U liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just curious Paul how man hours of flying do you need to log in order to start flying your Sling once completed? (if you had interest in flying it). I have always had interest in the Carbon Cub, apparently you only need 20 hours of flying time to legally start flying those planes. Assuming once you're done you will definitely want to fly it! Congratulations, what a cool project!
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, congratulations on your next endeavor
    I’ll recommend purchasing this book if you already don’t have it
    FAA AC 43-13-1b , acceptable methods techniques and practices. Aircraft inspection repairs and alteration.

Jet…
    Last edited by Jetfuel; 04-29-2023 at 07:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    Just curious Paul how man hours of flying do you need to log in order to start flying your Sling once completed? (if you had interest in flying it). I have always had interest in the Carbon Cub, apparently you only need 20 hours of flying time to legally start flying those planes. Assuming once you're done you will definitely want to fly it! Congratulations, what a cool project!
    I really don't know and am not qualified to say or even guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuel View Post
    Paul, congratulations on your next endeavor
    I’ll recommend purchasing this book if you already don’t have it
    FAA AC 43-13-1b , acceptable methods techniques and practices. Aircraft inspection repairs and alteration.

Jet…
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, everything needed to built your gravity defying machine is in that book, when the time comes and the FAA inspector comes to look at it you can show him that this or that was put together in “accordance” with chapter/section/subsection/paragraph of AC 43-13….and he will know that you know your stuff and he will have no problem issuing what makes every airplane fly….an Airworthiness Certificate…

Post Thanks / Like
    Talk about taking your building to the next level! What a great project and I cannot wait to follow you progress.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    Talk about taking your building to the next level! What a great project and I cannot wait to follow you progress.
    Thanks for your post. I've been making good progress. Lots of pictures in the EAA Builder’s Log Site at https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=PaulTSi. Wrapping up the order right now for the next kits, which includes everything except firewall forward (basically the engine and prop) and avionics. Should be here around year end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Paul on this next step. I got my private certificate when I was 20 and my brother, sister in law, and father all also pilots so lots of Aviation in the family. My bucket list has always been to build a 4-place Van's once the kids are out of the house and building my MK4 was my test run. I haven't heard of the Sling and will definitely be looking into this - it looks like a great alternative. Knowing the quality of work you put into all your builds, maybe even a potential buyer when you're finished! Best of luck and can't wait to follow your journey.
    MK4 Complete Kit #10315 / Coyote G3 / TKX / 427 HardTop
    Build Thread Production Date: 2/26/22, Registered 5/19/22, Graduated 3/1/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    To be completely certified private pilot its 40 hours, but most take closer to 50. Depending on the complexity of the aircraft additional endorsements may be required (tailwheel 5-10 hours).. Complex (retractable gear, constant speed prop, high performance... 5-10hours). Insurance is a whole other animal especially when you get into complex aircraft. Other than the 40 hour PP requirement, the rest is all subjective as its not an actual time based requirement by the FAA but rather proficiency. So in theory if you did all your training for your PP in a complex tail wheel, you could have all these completed in as little as 40 hours.
    MK4 Complete Kit #10315 / Coyote G3 / TKX / 427 HardTop
    Build Thread Production Date: 2/26/22, Registered 5/19/22, Graduated 3/1/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffP View Post
    Congrats Paul on this next step. I got my private certificate when I was 20 and my brother, sister in law, and father all also pilots so lots of Aviation in the family. My bucket list has always been to build a 4-place Van's once the kids are out of the house and building my MK4 was my test run. I haven't heard of the Sling and will definitely be looking into this - it looks like a great alternative. Knowing the quality of work you put into all your builds, maybe even a potential buyer when you're finished! Best of luck and can't wait to follow your journey.
    Thanks for the encouragement. Really enjoying the build so far. The precision of the parts, the organization, instructions, how everything fits, all top notch. Many similarities to a Factory Five build. But of course lots of differences too. A fun learning experience which I enjoy. I'm basically done with the empennage parts and have the RH wing underway. Lots of pictures in the linked EAA website. Today I'm finalizing the next order for the fuselage, undercarriage, and interior. Basically everything except engine/prop and avionics. Promised lead time six months. Definitely check the Sling TSi. It's roughly similar to a Vans RV10 although considered an easier build. Some differences though (Rotax power, pulled rivets) that make for some interesting discussions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just stumbled upon your post.
    I currently have an RV-12 and had started anRV10 empennage.
    Looking at going with a TSI for ease of build and the Rotax engine. Spent a ton of time at their booth at Oshkosh.
    Have you already started your build?
    Brad
    FFR 2573 Roadster
    FFR 3265CP Coupe
    1967 GTA Mustang
    1967 Mustang 5.0 EFI AOD
    1969 Mustang Fastback

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradford Drummond View Post
    Just stumbled upon your post.
    I currently have an RV-12 and had started anRV10 empennage.
    Looking at going with a TSI for ease of build and the Rotax engine. Spent a ton of time at their booth at Oshkosh.
    Have you already started your build?
    I looked at Van's planes. Have known about them for years and they're top notch. Although going through some pains right now with the laser cut issue... But they're a lot more work. Plus I'm pretty much a one man operation. Having to have help to buck rivets just wasn't in the cards. Came across Sling and the TSi looked like an interesting choice. Researched for a long time before deciding to go that way. Absolutely no regrets. Amazing airplane, great looking, and the kit is impressive. I talked about progress in previous posts in this thread. I have the wings and empennage kits. Nearly done. Wrapping up the fuel tanks now. I have the fuse and related kits on order. Due by the end of the year. At that point, I'll have everything except engine, prop, and wiring/avionics. Midwest Panel Builders, one of the leaders for wiring and avionics for Sling aircraft, is less then 30 minutes from where I live. Small world. Already have used some of their harnesses in what I've built to date. Lots of pictures and verbiage in my EAA Builder’s Log Site at https://eaabuilderslog.org/?s=PaulTSi referenced previously.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-28-2023 at 05:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Filling and sanding rivets...Interesting!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck on this build Paul. Hard for me to imagine building a plane without the need to actually fly it! It would have to be the thrill and excitement of your first cobra drive tenfold. It is good to have a passion for something and even more so to have life’s circumstances to pursue it. I too have been interested in flying my entire life. I wanted to fly for the Air Force but medical kept me out of the service. I then took private lessons at my local county airport but I had a terrible instructor and major life changes forced me to set that dream aside.

The town where your son lives caught my eye. I just bought a 1978 F250 (waiting on title and delivery) from a restoration shop in none other than Nampa Idaho! During the purchase process I did a bit of traveling in Nampa via Google Street view. There certainly isn’t a lot there and it would be difficult to find this truck further away from Punta Gorda Florida within the contagious States. :-)

Happy building!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing work as always. As a big NCIS fan, one has to ask, how do you get the plane out of the basement?
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan_C View Post
    Amazing work as always. As a big NCIS fan, one has to ask, how do you get the plane out of the basement?
    Not to worry. The way my basement steps lead to the garage door is a straight shot and enough height to carry the wings out. We've checked and confirmed multiple times. Just need enough help. A little over 100 lbs each. So not particularly heavy. But awkward. For the fuselage (kits received yesterday!!) I'll be doing some of the subassembly work in the basement. Saves heating the garage shop now that Michigan cold seems to have officially arrived. But overall assembly has to be in the garage shop. No other options. This video shows a mostly finished fuselage of this kit that was assembled in a garage. Hopefully will be able to show something similar next year. https://youtu.be/-M-1WsppQwA

Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome! There are a couple of Slings at my home airport in Carson City, NV. They look like fun. I'm still doing a lot of cross-country flying so it wouldn't work for me right now, but "hats off" on this adventure.