BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Hydraulic Reservoir options

Post Thanks / Like

Hydraulic Reservoir options

Like others here, I've decided I want separate reservoirs for front/rear brakes and clutch master cylinders. There are numerous options out there. My question is, how much does the capacity matter, if at all. Some are as little as 1oz per reservoir, others are more in the 3-8oz range. For example, on a track day when the brakes are getting used hard, does a larger reservoir do anything to help keep lower fluid temps?

Post Thanks / Like
    The brake fluid doesn't circulate so reservoir size shouldn't matter except, with disc brakes, you need the capacity of the reservoirs to be enough to be able to fill the space of the caliper piston bores as the pistons move out as the brake pads wear. I have 2, about 6 ounce ones, for the brakes and a 3 ounce one for my hydraulic clutch.
    Last edited by Mastertech5; 05-06-2023 at 06:47 PM.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tilton has a nice 3 reservoir unit.
    Kit #361, arrived 10/2015, still in progress
    818C highly modified, corvette suspension
    Estimated completion summer 2023!
    1989 turbo Supra 5 sp
    2017 Tundra

4. Likes GoDadGo liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lance corsi View Post
    Tilton has a nice 3 reservoir unit.
    Ditto & I'm running this unit on my MK-4.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/til-72-576

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be surprised if the larger reservoirs had any effect on fluid temperature under heavy use. As for choices, I would go with a Tilton. Whatever skill is required to make the Wilwood units not leak, I don't have it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just my opinion.

These cars are not daily drivers going a year without checking all fluids. Unless endurance racing, high reservoir capacity only serves to give longer service intervals and do nothing to improve performance. If wanting some redundancy with front and rear systems then separate reservoirs provide that, but adding a third for the clutch serves no purpose beyond driving up cost and more importantly weight.

My route? Front is served by one reservoir while rear + clutch are served by a second. If I had it to do over, I would buy a nice (CNC) single, take off the top, weld in a 1" tall divider, and convert to a two outlet design. This would provide the redundancy without the need for a second reservoir.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the goals is redundancy. I just feel like running the entire brake system on a single reservoir is the greatest idea in terms of safety. I hadn't considered running a dual though, and utilizing one for clutch/rear brakes. The Tilton is a nice unit and reasonably priced, but it just looks too modern/plastic for the rest of what is under hood. The FFR billet units are nice, but I can't mount three of them where I want to, the clamps take up too much space. The Wilwood billet units/clamps are a bit excessive in terms of price.

I like the looks and finish options of these units from Scotts Hotrod's on Summit, and the cost is only slightly more than the Tilton. They are offered in single, double, and triple configurations, three finishes, and two capacities. I like the compact one I linked to, but I originally thought it was 3oz per reservoir, but they are 3.3 oz total, 1.1 per. They do offer an XL size though, which is 3oz per reservoir. The only thing I don't like as much is that the outlets are 1/8 NPT instead of an ORB, as I'm thinking of plumbing with AN line. But that isn't a deal breaker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that pretty much every OE application uses a single reservoir to feed both sides of the master. The 1" tall divider in-between front and back half in effect makes it a dual reservoir.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    FFR #4402 MKII Supercharged 308 445 RWHP Sterling Grey W/ Black Sapphire Stripes, Purchase 8/22/2008 Sold 12/04/2018
    FFR #8249 MK IV "Milano" Kit purchased 10/5/2018 - In-Process with 3.27 IRS, Multiport, Fuel Injected Supercharged 347 Big bore with Coil On Plug running Holley HP engine management, 576 RWHP, 510 Torque
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?29980 Milano thread

Post Thanks / Like
    x3 for Tilton here.
    FFR Roadster Delivered 9/16/21
    Forte 427 Fuel Injected with TKX Transmission
    Forte's Axle