Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: SF Bay Area peeps- who did your B&L inspection?

Post Thanks / Like

SF Bay Area peeps- who did your B&L inspection?

I've called and/or visited a dozen shops listed on the state bureau of automotive repair website as being licensed to do brake and lamp inspections. 80% of them lost or didn't renew their license during the pandemic. The rest have all told me that they only do B&L inspections on mass-produced cars, not kit cars. I'm left scratching my head as to where to go to do a B&L inspection. If anyone has done one recently in the SF Bay Area (preferably South Bay but beggars can't be choosers) I'd love to know where you went.

Thanks!

-John

Edit: All good! Daniel (facultyofmusic) came through with a solid recommendation.
    Last edited by JohnK; 05-09-2023 at 12:59 PM.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    If your recommendation doesn’t work out, the place I went to a long time ago was called J Speed Autoworks on Basset St in Santa Clara off of Lafayette, between 101 and Montague. It’s a very small place and eary to miss, but he was open Saturday and that worked for me. I’m pretty sure the shop is still open, but you would have to check to see if he is still doing B&L inspections. Cost was $75 at the time.
    If this is for registration, you will need to have a VIN assigned to the Roadster. So I hope you went to CHP first. I’m mentioning this because I had been told I needed a B&L before visiting CHP, and that’s not the case.
    Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Daniel's recommendation worked out well. I went over there first thing this morning and was in and out in 45 minutes. For those coming across this thread down the road looking for a place in the South Bay, The place I went to was:

Precision Tune Auto Care
    1805 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95050, United States

You're correct - VIN verification at the CHP needs to happen first, then B&L, then back to the DMV to get a sequence number (and wait for the certificate to arrive in the mail) then smog check at a referee station, then back to the DMV for plates.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.