Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: BMW wheels on the GTM

Post Thanks / Like

BMW wheels on the GTM

This was posted on the "other" site too. Might helpful for some that do not visit both sites.

I see that many of the Vette, BMW wheels are interchangeable (slightly different bolt pattern but they fit) since the BMW wheels are much better supported in the aftermarket...IE less expensive, could these be an alternative to the budget builds or open up more choices for GTM options. A quick search of eBay shows hundreds or styles not currently available to us and many are very cost effective (less than $100.00 each). Since we need to run spacers with the donor wheels anyway, with the BMW offsets maybe the spacer will not be needed.

Both the C5 or C6 vette wheel center bore is 70.1mm & most BMW are 72.5mm. The rings need to make Hub centric are less then $10 dollars for a full set of 4. FYI, here are the hub sizes for the most common BMW hence most commonly made BMW aftermarket wheels.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...-offset-t7759/

Most of the lesser expensive wheels on ebay are 8" front and 9" rear. The Ferrari 360 uses small 215/45/18 front tires, 275/40/18 rears. I would say on these larger rims 245 on the front and a 275 on the rear is about the best for these wheel sizes.

Thoughts??
    Last edited by Kalstar; 12-21-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rev2xs (Builder from Poland) is already using BMW wheels. Here was his post on my thread earlier......

My wheels are in fact suited to a late BMW 5 series. What you have to worry about more so is the ET. You have to make absolutely sure that the spokes of the wheel offer enough clearance for the calipers. I have stock brakes so my 18x8s for the front have an ET of 35. I test fitted the wheels a couple of months ago and there was absolutely no clearance issues what soever for me. And the wheel sat perfectly on the car. My rear 19x9.5's have an ET of 32 and it looks like i will have to lose the spacer. But just like the front, there were no issues for me there either.Hub size on the corvette is in fact smaller than that of the BMW's so you will have to buy or machine a collar so that you dont have any clearance there.

Very hard thing to do, finding wheels for a Vette over here in Poland that is. So I bought a set of hub rings to make up the difference and everything is good.

DOTZ Mugello Drk
    Front 18x8 ET35
    Rear 19x9.5 ET32

The ET's being so wide gives the illusion that the wheels are actually wider than they really are. They fit perfectly on the hub and there shouldnt be any tire rubbing issues on the guards.

I didnt go wider than the more or less stock Corvette wheels because the HP in my LS1 doesnt justify it. In my opinion, the car is already considerably lighter than a Vette with the same HP so the width of these wheels should be more than enough.