BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good character traits/behaviours to have if you're going to take on one of these kits

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I don't know exactly what this says but some of the best built cars that I've had come through here have been done by Doctors. I suspect it's because they have a methodical and well thought out approach and great attention to detail.

Jeff
    Interesting! I'll wager you can probably make the following generalizations:

Doctors - Appearance... the more beautiful the better
    Pilots - Performance... the more power the better
    Engineers - Functionality... the more complex the better
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

2. Likes Chainsaw, Jetfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a great engineer (much better at operations), but I sure seem to be making this more far more complex than it needed to be.
    Jack
    289 Roadster complete kit ordered 8/2/21. Delivered 3/14/2022. Chassis #10306. 17"x9" Halibrands, 3.55 IRS, PS, Wilwood brakes, BPE 306 with EFI and close ratio TKX. First start 7/20/2023. First Movement 9/24/2023. First go-kart 9/25/2023.
    Build thread - https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...rida-289-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post

Doctors - Appearance... the more beautiful the better
    Pilots - Performance... the more power the better
    Engineers - Functionality... the more complex the better

Pilots perspective: Appearance- yeah it's shiny with a few scratches
    Functionality- what do you mean it takes 4 switches flipped on in sequence just to turn a light on?
    Performance- You say it will do 0-60 in the sub 4 second range? YES Let's go try it, and even if it doesn't by the time we get done telling the story at the bar at the end of the day everyone will believe we
    went that fast.

5. Likes Papa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Doctors - Appearance... the more beautiful the better Yes,but with functionality. Both form and function
    Pilots - Performance... the more power the better Absolutely! For proof let me introduce you to my good friend Erik Treves!
    Engineers - Functionality... the more complex the better Only half right on this one. I'll let you guess which half (Here's a hint---I've cussed more on engineer's cars than any others) Thankfully Dave your car didn't fall into that trap!
    Cheers,
    Jeff

7. Likes Papa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to add committed. Having focus, drive, patience etc is great when you are working on the project. But committing time to do it in the first place amongst a busy life can be just as much of a challenge for people on these kits as the other attributes.

Another one is ensuring you adhere to the KISS (Keep it simple Stupid/student) method. If you find your self fabricating some crazy bracket system for a simple problem that a bolt will fix. Step back for a minute and reassess what you are doing. Remind yourself if that crazy complex bracket fails your the one that has to fix it (usually on the side of the road).

Other then that, like others said this is great thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    I'll guess that Engineers use bolts to make everything removable instead of just using rivets.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know exactly what this says but some of the best built cars that I've had come through here have been done by Doctors. I suspect it's because they have a methodical and well thought out approach and great attention to detail.

Jeff
    and the worst...?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll guess that Engineers use bolts to make everything removable instead of just using rivets.
    True story about one that came to me from an engineer...one splash panel had rivnuts and machine screws, another had the self tapping TEK screws that FFR temporarily attaches panels with, the third splash panel had 1/8" rivets and the last had 3/16" rivets. Maybe it was a science experiment to determine which he liked best???

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    and the worst...?
    I.T.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff
    Interestingly enough, my dads oldest friend is a doctor and built over a half dozen airplanes over his life. He is very meticulous, the attention to detail was spectacular. Flew every one of them.

Fun story when I was 10 he had his first plane operational (a front/back 2 seater open air bi plane), he took me up and after a little while let me "steer". It was just the best day
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch

Post Thanks / Like
    True story about one that came to me from an engineer...one splash panel had rivnuts and machine screws, another had the self tapping TEK screws that FFR temporarily attaches panels with, the third splash panel had 1/8" rivets and the last had 3/16" rivets. Maybe it was a science experiment to determine which he liked best???

Jeff
    Well, there are all kinds of engineers. I am guessing he was not a structural or mechanical engineer. Maybe he was a civil engineer?

I.T.

Jeff
    I could see that, but we in the engineering community do not consider I.T. people to be engineers. As a network/electrical engineer it really irritated me when people would comment, "Oh, you work in I.T.".
    Last edited by Skuzzy; 06-01-2023 at 05:09 PM.
    My Type 65 Coupe: Ordered May 27, 2021. Arrived November 19, 2021.
    I would like to treat my gas pedal as a binary operator. It would be nice to get the cooperation of everyone in front of me.

Post Thanks / Like
    My guess (as a degreed engineer) is that it was a "frugal" Mechanical Engineer, using whatever was on hand to avoid ANOTHER McMaster-Carr order. Also, was it possible that the builder was trying to make some of the panels removeable for maintenance / repair access (not familiar with roadsters / coupes myself)?

IMHO a Civil Engineer would have installed the panels with a concrete footing and welded rebar, or at least 1/2" lag bolts into lead anchors.

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    An unlimited budget or at least the ability to spend more than you anticipated when you first planned your dream. Perhaps this falls under flexibility but everyone, especially those of us who are first time builders, undertaking one of these builds should understand that the claims of a sub $30k build are unrealistic unless you're using a cheap donor car and donor parts. Adding everything in for cars like those built and displayed by many on this forum and you're well north of $50k. If you want to buy tools that make the job actually easier, the actual money invested can be double or even more - ask me how I know (my wife keeps a detailed spreadsheet of every penny spent). Every time i read a build thread from some of the incredible builders on this forum, my mind starts spinning and looking for a fix of Summit, Amazon, Ford Performance, Breeze, Forte, Levy and many other suppliers of FFR candy. In the end, it's not what you spend, it's the fun, enjoyment and satisfaction of successfully accomplishing a challenge never thought possible. Priceless!!

David....
    Last edited by DIBaledo; 06-02-2023 at 03:18 AM.
    MK4 Roadster Delivered 11/28/2022
    Ford Racing Aluminator A52XS; T56 Magnum
    IRS; Billet IFS; QA1 Double Adjustable Shocks; Wilwood Big Brakes from Gordon Levy
    Slowly building my dream

Post Thanks / Like
    I.T.

Jeff
    I can see that. Most of my friends in IT just buy their "toys".

"bought, not built"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DIBaledo View Post
    An unlimited budget
    I'm not sure if being wealthy is a character trait, more likely a character flaw, LOL.

No matter one's financial situation I think the appropriate character trait that applies is pragmaticism and being realistic about what you can afford and how long its going to take you to afford it.

Earl
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a character trait, I'll add to "Know what you don't know." Basically, accept that you don't know everything and then get "educated" on things. Read, research, ask questions, learn, etc..
    FFR MKIV ordered 12 July 2019. IRS, Wilwood Brakes, 18" Wheels w/MT tires, power steering, EFI, Heat. 347 Dart w/TKO-600 by Mike Forte, Holley FI, MSD coil and CD box. All new, no donor build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RBachman View Post
    As a character trait, I'll add to "Know what you don't know." Basically, accept that you don't know everything and then get "educated" on things. Read, research, ask questions, learn, etc..
    Agreed! Covered in the first post under self-awareness & humiity...

Earl
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Perseverance!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12