Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Add Drop Trunk

Post Thanks / Like

Add Drop Trunk

Guys,
    I am thinking of adding the drop trunk to my 25th Anniversary MK4. Any pros and cons of adding this to a “finished build”?

Kmcallahan

Post Thanks / Like
    None, other than having to redo carpet. There is just wasted space under what you have now.
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

3. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post
    Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd cut out the supports as well and make the drop trunk as big as possible, I believe the trunk supports are primarily there to keep the frame square during construction on the jig

this would really simplify the buildout as well IMHO
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

5. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post
    Likes Kmcallahan, Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    I'd cut out the supports as well and make the drop trunk as big as possible, I believe the trunk supports are primarily there to keep the frame square during construction on the jig

this would really simplify the buildout as well IMHO
    1+ on what toadster said.... I also cut the supports and even added more to the drop trunk with a battery spot over the IRS. Make it big as you can!

7. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by toadster View Post
    ..........and you'd be wrong. Those diagonal braces act as a crumple zone in the case of a rear end collision. We work around them in every drop trunk box we build. The 3/4" tubes at the front of the car serve the same purpose.

9. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmcallahan View Post
    Guys,
    I am thinking of adding the drop trunk to my 25th Anniversary MK4. Any pros and cons of adding this to a “finished build”?

Kmcallahan
    Honestly, I don't think we have ever not added one to one of our builds. Can't think of any cons other than the hassle of removing the tank to add it after. We have done a couple of videos on how to measure and make your own drop trunk box on our channel. You may want to go there and check them out. Drop trunk is really popular with Mrs. i.e.427. You'd be amazed at how she can pack the trunk when we do week long cruises with the local groups.

Frank

11. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    Honestly, I don't think we have ever not added one to one of our builds. Can't think of any cons other than the hassle of removing the tank to add it after. We have done a couple of videos on how to measure and make your own drop trunk box on our channel. You may want to go there and check them out. Drop trunk is really popular with Mrs. i.e.427. You'd be amazed at how she can pack the trunk when we do week long cruises with the local groups.

Frank
    At first I was going to add a larger tank. But after taking multiple week+ road trips the storage space is more important. As well as frequent stops for restroom and stretching breaks every 2-3 hrs. At those times I top off with fuel.

I really didn’t want to drop the tank but after looking at what needs to be done removing the tank to modify the trunk would be best. Also I really enjoy your build videos.

Kmcallahan

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed one in an older MkIII over the winter for all of the same reasons. I needed to drop the tank but it was not too much work and really helped with access.
    Mk III 4880: 3:55 - 3 link, T-5, 347, Holley Sniper/dual sync distributor, Comp Cams XE274HR, Edelbrock RPM Heads

14. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post