FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: insurance (pretty much) not available for non-replica kit cars in Ontario

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to conclude this, for now anyways. McDonagh Insurance got back to me with questions now and then, then gave up. So insurance for "kit cars" is not available from them. Facility insurance is the only option in Ontario. If anyone finds insurance for a new build, please let me and others know here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRWRX View Post
    Just to conclude this, for now anyways. McDonagh Insurance got back to me with questions now and then, then gave up. So insurance for "kit cars" is not available from them. Facility insurance is the only option in Ontario. If anyone finds insurance for a new build, please let me and others know here.
    I'm just researching this before making a purchase as insurance is definitely a stumbling block to ownership of an 818.

Just wondering how much of a car is required to be original. Could this not be a modified Subaru Impreza, with the VIN and ownership carried over from the donor or is that likely to be considered fraud?

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinh View Post
    I'm just researching this before making a purchase as insurance is definitely a stumbling block to ownership of an 818.

Just wondering how much of a car is required to be original. Could this not be a modified Subaru Impreza, with the VIN and ownership carried over from the donor or is that likely to be considered fraud?

Kevin
    I know with my regular insurance company (and I assume with most/all others) they ask if the vehicle has been modified. And soon as you say yes, they want to know all the details. Can't see this working at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRWRX View Post
    I know with my regular insurance company (and I assume with most/all others) they ask if the vehicle has been modified. And soon as you say yes, they want to know all the details. Can't see this working at all.
    I've done a little homework. Doesn't matter how much of the original car is utilized if the frame isn't original - VIN belongs to the chassis.

For anyone else looking here's who won't insure it:

Hagerty
    Co-operators
    Intact
    Vintage Auto Insurance

I'll update if I have any success.

Kevin