Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Rear Tire to Fender Clearance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rear Tire to Fender Clearance

Is there a recommended clearance between the tire and the rear fender? If I set the rear at the recommended ride height the tire rubs on the underside of the fender on turns. So far I just keep raising the rear ride height until the rub stops. I know on the front fenders the recommendation is to allow enough clearance between the tire and fender so your hand can fit between but that doesn't seem quite enough on the rear.

Can you get the rear frame ride height too high so other problems pop up?

If you raise the rear ride height do you need to raise the front ride height to maintain the same ratio?

Opinions?

Thanks

2. Thanks Jeff33Ford thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    WHat size rear wheels and tires? What is the Wheel offset?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennC View Post
    Is there a recommended clearance between the tire and the rear fender? If I set the rear at the recommended ride height the tire rubs on the underside of the fender on turns. So far I just keep raising the rear ride height until the rub stops. I know on the front fenders the recommendation is to allow enough clearance between the tire and fender so your hand can fit between but that doesn't seem quite enough on the rear.

Can you get the rear frame ride height too high so other problems pop up?

If you raise the rear ride height do you need to raise the front ride height to maintain the same ratio?

Opinions?

Thanks
    Make sure once you set the ride height and you are satisfied, that you also road test it with an adult passengers in the vehicle. Also make sure you test drive it on the roads you know are bumpy / dippy. When I did mine I had to do it a couple times cause I'd get it where it didn't rub with me driving around alone so I'd think I got it, but then I'd take a passenger and it would rub. frustrating.

In the end I wasn't happy with the adjustability of the Koni shocks (almost had the spring collar up to the top of the threads on the shock, so I switched to a dual adjustable QA1 promstar shocks. I also switched to a 10" spring verses the 8" that came the the Koni and I think I also bumped up the spring rate a little. This not only gives you more adjustability to raise the rear some with the collar (and have plenty of threads left if more adjusting is needed) but then you can adjust the rebound and compression separately with the dials on the shock for a firmer or softer ride. Can't do that with the Koni's.

The other thing I added was a 2nd bump stop to the QA1 shock so no matter if I compressed the shocks all the way going over a huge bump / pot hole the fenders no longer rub since the additional bump stop prevents it.

just some things to think about. Even once you're done you'll be playing / tweaking on it. it's part of the fun.

Jim
    Last edited by 33fromSD; 06-14-2023 at 01:49 PM.
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

5. Thanks Jeff33Ford thanked for this post
    Likes JimLev liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All good what 33fromSD says, I would just add if you raise the ride height too much you could get in a situation where the driveshaft might rub on the end of the floor area on rebound.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

7. Likes 33fromSD liked this post