BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: fia 289 dash question

Post Thanks / Like

fia 289 dash question

I ordered the mk4 kit for various reasons, but I kinda like the fia 289 dash. I was planning on just ordering a blank dash and then cutting the holes for a 427 competition dash. I might now cut the holes for the 289 fia dash, but realize the gauges are different sizes. Is the fia kit dash aluminum and does it come with the holes already cut? I wonder if Factory Five would allow me to substitute the mk4 gauges with the fia ones
    Mk4 complete kit ordered in Dec 2022, arrived August 8th 2023. The car will be used for street use only with the goal of being a straight forward, simple build, and authentic (within reason) to an original 427 competition cobra. 15" pin drives wheels, competition dash, no glove box, single roll bar, quick jacks

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm building a 289 roadster and can confirm that the 289 dash is aluminum and precut for the gauges just like the pictures show on the FFR website. The 289 gauges are different sizes. I've heard that you can substitute a blank dash and gauges if you request it. I'm not sure if the gauge pricing is different.
    Lars
    Novice Build: 289 USRRC Complete Kit #10524, 3rd Gen Coyote, TKX, IRS, 17" Halibrands, Wilwood Brakes, Power Steering

3. Thanks jrohrig thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Lars said, you should be able to substitute. Give them a call and confirm. BTW, if you go the FIA dash route, expect to use your phone as a speedometer. Pretty tough to read the gauge on the other side of the car.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

5. Likes jrohrig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the 289 and 427 dash is a different size. Engineering at FFR informed me when I ordered my 289.

You can buy a blank 427 dash and cut your own holes.
    10 years after my roadster build....
    289 FIA (pickup 28/08/20 if covid permits)
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rather than using your phone as your speedo, you can swap the tach and speedo. I find it much more driver friendly to have the speedo directly in view along with high beam/turn signal indicators. You quickly adjust to recognizing RPM at a glance to the right. All other gauges are easily visible. Probably not the best set up for a true race car, but works great for the street. It will work with the pre-cut dash since the tach and speedo are the same size.

8. Thanks jrohrig thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something to keep in mind, if you're installing the FFR heater option the 289 FIA speedometer or tach gauge won't fit in the passenger location with the standard firewall. I am at the point where I am fitting the dash and realized this. Between this and the RT turn signal I will order a blank dash and map out and drill new holes. The speedo will end up a little further to the right and lower unless as suggested above I may swap out for the tach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John289 View Post
    Something to keep in mind, if you're installing the FFR heater option the 289 FIA speedometer or tach gauge won't fit in the passenger location with the standard firewall. I am at the point where I am fitting the dash and realized this. Between this and the RT turn signal I will order a blank dash and map out and drill new holes. The speedo will end up a little further to the right and lower unless as suggested above I may swap out for the tach.
    John289 has a good point. I went with the FF Metals firewall forward kit to accommodate my heater with the traditional FIA dash layout. It won't hurt to have a little more space behind the dash as well.
    Lars
    Novice Build: 289 USRRC Complete Kit #10524, 3rd Gen Coyote, TKX, IRS, 17" Halibrands, Wilwood Brakes, Power Steering