Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: JDs Canadian Build

Post Thanks / Like

JDs Canadian Build

After travelling almost 8 hours to FFR and back home again I have to say its been a great start to this build. I also prearranged the purchase of lots of goodies from Mark Reynolds(Breeze Automotive), Mike Everson(Replicaparts w/great shop dog), and Mike Forte(Fortesparts). Taking the time to chat with these guys in person was a great experience that I highly recommend for anyone purchasing other items when travelling to pick up a kit.

I'm creating this thread to get help from the community as I go and I want to make it clear that all tips are welcome here.

My build is going to be a bit of comfort with a vintage look... pwr steer, pwr brakes, heater, heated seats, 331 carb, T5, 8.8, 3 link sitting on 15s. I don't have the 15s yet, I'll be keeping an eye on the classified in case anyone has decided to move up to 17s or bigger.

IMG_5515.jpgIMG_5550.jpgIMG_6055.jpg
    Last edited by Jonathan D; 10-17-2023 at 04:45 PM.

2. Likes zarnold liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    All the panels are drilled and drop trunk is almost done! Getting my wife and one of the boys involved in the drilling...I think they enjoyed it more than I did.

IMG_6396.JPGIMG_6503.jpgIMG_6516.jpg
    Last edited by Jonathan D; 07-18-2023 at 06:28 AM.

4. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm doing the standard brakes because of my 15 inch wheel preference so I decided to do power brakes. Hats off to Mike Everson...his booster spacer works perfect, and he offered a great tip to use it as a guide for opening up the front of the footbox opening to accept the booster. The restored pedal assembly he sells looks much better than the unpainted version that came from Ford in the mustangs.

IMG_6305.jpgIMG_6306.jpgIMG_6310.jpgIMG_6276.jpg
    Last edited by Jonathan D; 07-18-2023 at 06:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where I live, defrost and wipers are required by law, and I prefer the look of the vintage dash and competition layout WITH a glovebox. Lucky for me this community has offered several great solutions to make a custom glovebox that fits with the heater. Just before trying my hand at building my own glovebox I stumbled into Yama-Bros build thread. He designed and 3d printed the perfect little glovebox for this configuration. I can't even guess how many hours he put into this design, but he shared his file and I had a local startup company print it for me after adding a couple of reinforcing items that I doubt were even needed. Big shoutout to Frank for designing and sharing his glovebox, supper happy with how it turned out!

IMG_6561.JPGIMG_6560.JPGIMG_6562.JPG
    Last edited by Jonathan D; 07-19-2023 at 05:25 PM.

7. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started prepping the rear this winter. Removed the quad shock brackets, installed fox length axles, 3.55 gears. I prepped and painted with por15 but didn't like the gloss so I top coated with the eastwood paint below and I'm very happy with how well it matches the frame.

2.jpg3.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a helper with the trunk aluminum. Drop trunk is in, tank is in, started with some of the basic aluminum panels so I could continue on with the build.

IMG_6613.jpgIMG_6624.jpgIMG_6627.JPGIMG_6591.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jonathan, I was wondering where you live, I am in Dundas Ontario and your comment about the defroster caught my attention. I have a 4.6l 3v engine and T3560 transmission that I am planning for the Roadster. Expect to order my kit once I have the rear axle so still a few weeks away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! There are a bunch of us Canadian builders here. Great to see more.
    Complete novice who doesn't know what he's doing.
    MKIV with BPE 347 & TKX. IRS. A crap ton of mods.
    Build thread

12. Likes Jonathan D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol'earl View Post
    Hi Jonathan, I was wondering where you live, I am in Dundas Ontario and your comment about the defroster caught my attention. I have a 4.6l 3v engine and T3560 transmission that I am planning for the Roadster. Expect to order my kit once I have the rear axle so still a few weeks away.
    I'm on the east cost, New Brunswick. I believe regulations are different in Ontario but lots of guys here can assist with that. Ryan Valin may be a good place to start as you will likely be working with him to get the parts deleted from the Canadian kit anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a WhatsApp group of some Canadian builders. It's not to replace the forum, it's just for us to stay connected and ask each other questions that are sometimes too specific to where we live. Feel free to join us.
    Complete novice who doesn't know what he's doing.
    MKIV with BPE 347 & TKX. IRS. A crap ton of mods.
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zee View Post
    We have a WhatsApp group of some Canadian builders. It's not to replace the forum, it's just for us to stay connected and ask each other questions that are sometimes too specific to where we live. Feel free to join us.
    Sounds great please send me the details to join in!

Post Thanks / Like
    More progress. Since the rear rotors came with painted hats I decided to pull the rear calipers and paint them with VHT to match along with the front rotors and calipers.

IMG_6838.jpgIMG_6844.jpgIMG_6845.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Brake booster and pedal box is installed...had to clearance the booster a little to make room for the bearing to mount on the inside of the footbox. Front is assembled, still need to center the rack and install the tie rods.

IMG_6866.jpgIMG_6869.jpgIMG_6840.jpgIMG_6865.jpg
    Last edited by Jonathan D; 08-15-2023 at 06:00 AM.

18. Likes Geoff H liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brake lines are done and bled...fuel line complete! I deliberated about a flairing tool and ended up purchasing the K Tool version(KTI-70081) of the Eastwood bench flair tool from amazon. It looks just like the eastwood and either way you go I highly recommend, flairs came out nice every time and no leaks yet.
    IMG_7433.jpgIMG_7452.jpgIMG_7409.jpgIMG_7454.jpg
    Last edited by Jonathan D; 10-17-2023 at 08:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    After looking at what Jeff Kleiner assembled for a fuel vapor canister I decided to craft my own version from 2" abs. One end is fixed and the other screws off if I ever need to replace the charcoal aquarium filter.
    IMG_7486.jpgIMG_7488.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Been awhile but progress continues

IMG_8368.jpgIMG_8461.jpgIMG_8629.jpgIMG_8642.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Sound mat took much longer than I imagined

IMG_8599.jpgIMG_8600.jpg