FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: 289 pipes. LOUD! What can be done?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was just like you with my 331 with high compression heads. I used Car Chemistry 2 disk inserts in the end of the side pipes. They sell them at Summitt. The are pressed in (or hit in with a rubber mallet) and then held in with a single stainless steel rivet. I did not weld the optional end cap on. It helped a lot. At normal driving, the drone is gone and I can now have conversations in the car without yelling. I had bought steel wool packing to put between the inserts disk but wanted to hear it first without it. I wish I had placed the steel wool in now as now it will not be as easy to do it. I am very happy with the results. IMG_0398.jpg
    Last edited by brewha; 06-24-2023 at 08:47 AM.
    Mark4 - 331 Stroker - Fitech 600 -TKO600 - Moser 3.55

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brewha View Post
    I was just like you with my 331 with high compression heads. I used Car Chemistry 2 disk inserts in the end of the side pipes. They sell them at Summitt. The are pressed in (or hit in with a rubber mallet) and then held in with a single stainless steel rivet. I did not weld the optional end cap on. It helped a lot. At normal driving, the drone is gone and I can now have conversations in the car without yelling. I had bought steel wool packing to put between the inserts disk but wanted to hear it first without it. I wish I had placed the steel wool in now as now it will not be as easy to do it. I am very happy with the results. IMG_0398.jpg
    Thanks brewha. I was just looking at these. They have an option to attach to the header flange which would give me another 1/4 inch of clearance. I was going to need a spacer anyway. I think I'll give them a try.

scratch that, the flange is 3 bolt. Will go with the pressed in option.
    Last edited by OttawaFFRer; 06-24-2023 at 10:35 AM.
    10 years after my roadster build....
    289 FIA (pickup 28/08/20 if covid permits)
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.