FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What's the best color/sheen match for the powder coated Roadster frame?

Post Thanks / Like

What's the best color/sheen match for the powder coated Roadster frame?

I hope you can help answer my question below:

After inspecting my Roadster frame (that was optioned with powder coating from FFR), I noticed some scratches/scuffs and I'd like to make them disappear (or at least minimize their appearance).

What's the best way you've found to do that? Is it a rattle-can touch-up or brush-on using the small kits at the auto parts outlet?

What is the color/sheen that is the best match? "Satin" Black? "Chassis" black?

Thanks ahead for your recommendations

Craig C

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using Hot Rod Black or chassis black. Either one blends in unless you know where to look it matches very well.

3. Thanks cc2Arider thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is your chassis the newer (past three or so years) satin finish or the gloss finish on the older chassis? For the latter, chassis black rattle can or POR-15 work well. I can't help with the satin finish.
    Last edited by Papa; 06-28-2023 at 02:16 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

5. Thanks cc2Arider thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Per the recommendation of others on the forum (maybe edwardb?) I've been using Rustoleum Matte Custom Shop Black - P/N 263422 - good match for the powder coat FFR frame circa 2019. I'm not sure if the FFR powder coat color/sheen has changed since then but that's what I have. I found it readily available at Home Depot, Lowes, and I think also AutoZone. Not perfect but nobody will be able to tell. I've used it all over the place to hide scratches, frame mods, etc.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

7. Thanks cc2Arider thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses! Much appreciated

Yes, my chassis is new (only got delivered earlier this month), so is likely the "satin" finish everyone's heard about...

I'll try the recommendation from Darryl, since I should be able to get that quite easily.

Thanks again,
    Craig C