Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gathering Parts for Mk 4 build. Hamilton Ontario

Post Thanks / Like

Gathering Parts for Mk 4 build. Hamilton Ontario

My son and I are planning on this build and we are at the stage of initially getting the main parts, namely engine, transmission and rear axle. After much discussion and consideration we have bought 4.6l 3V with 5 speed out of a 2007 mustang GT that had clocked 115k kms.
    We did get a complete wiring harness, ECU etc with it but no key or ignition switch, hope this is not a big mistake. We also got the fly by wire gas pedal, rad and fan, power steering rack and front hubs and brakes which it appears we can not use on the Mk 4.
    I realize this is a big challenge for us but nothing ventured nothing gained. We have perused the forums and realize there is a wealth of info in this community and hope we can tap into for help that we will definitely need.
    Once we have settled on a rear axle we will order the kit. we are leaning toward IRS at the moment.
    I know the 4.6 3V motors have issues with fitting in, headers etc. but we hope to be able to work around these as others on the forum appear to have done.
    Errol and Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never heard of someone using the factory Mustang ignition switch, so can't see that being an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    I've never heard of someone using the factory Mustang ignition switch, so can't see that being an issue.
    Thanks that's encouraging. I am searching for the best Mustang wiring diagram and info to get a better understanding of dieting the harness and also I would need to have the ECU modified to get rid of/work around the PATS and other functions such as traction control etc. This is what I understand from the forums if I have understood correctly. Then I can use a traditional key and starter button.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what your plans are, but Holley has a few options that replace the factory wiring with a much cleaner, simplified engine management setup. Maybe something to look into.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...od_motor_kits/
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness!! Ryan Valin is the guy to talk to to order any parts from FF that don't come in the Canadian kit. [email protected] Also look up foroum member 'zee' he is up around you and has some parts that he ordered and isnt going to use. Watch the parts for sale section as well, use to be a great resource for parts but lately not so much. Also remember that after you order there is at least a 6 month lead time for a kit. Then about a month to wait for your tranport Canada letter. Might be better to put your deposit in now at Factory Five.
    Higgy
    MK4 #11012 picked up 04/16/24
    351W, 3 link, single roll bar
    MK4 #10616 picked up 4/10/23
    302w, 4 link, 17's, dual roll bar SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol'earl View Post
    Thanks that's encouraging. I am searching for the best Mustang wiring diagram and info to get a better understanding of dieting the harness and also I would need to have the ECU modified to get rid of/work around the PATS and other functions such as traction control etc. This is what I understand from the forums if I have understood correctly. Then I can use a traditional key and starter button.
    Earl, Errol, I say tomato, you say tomateau, LOL. Welcome to the project of a lifetime!

There's an active Ontario FFR owners/builders page on Facebook worth checking out for the local scene.

Take a look on the WWW for forums relating to an "open-ish" source program called FORSCAN, you might find what you need to know there.

Earl
    Last edited by narly1; 07-02-2023 at 07:59 PM.
    1st Speedstar in Canada 31 March 2023.
    Built by me 302 engine, AOD trans, 3.55 IRS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice and suggestions from all. I have looked into the options for engine management including Holley as suggested. The best option seems to be the Telorvek system from Ron Francis. They assure me the engine will run standalone just need my ECU which the Telorvek plugs into. They also arrange the PATS delete and emissions if wanted. They support most of the EFI motors so that appears the way to go. There is very little support for the 4.6 3V motors in general.
    I have also communicated with Ryan Valin and he is definitely the go to guy in Ontario for these builds. Thanks Higgy for providing the zee contact and Narly1 for your suggestions.
    I have the engine in a stand now and am starting to check it out mechanically.
    Errol