Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  23

Thread: Gear Shifting Theory

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    At 176 degrees and idle, I'm getting 60 psi, not the specified 14 psi! My 10mm pump was around 14 psi at idle. Do I have a defective overzealous pump?

I'm using 5-40 oil. I'm measuring pressure from the right rear port and temperature from the front port. Bearing clearances are "normal" and I have a big oil cooler.

My pressure gauge is showing about 75 psi once warmed up which is consistent with the 78 psi relief spec.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave 53 View Post
    At 176 degrees and idle, I'm getting 60 psi, not the specified 14 psi! My 10mm pump was around 14 psi at idle. Do I have a defective overzealous pump?

I'm using 5-40 oil. I'm measuring pressure from the right rear port and temperature from the front port. Bearing clearances are "normal" and I have a big oil cooler.

My pressure gauge is showing about 75 psi once warmed up which is consistent with the 78 psi relief spec.
    I've never seen 60 or 75 psi at idle when the oil is 180 degrees in any of my Subaru engines, race or DD. And especially not from the rear port which always reads lower than the front port. I think your gauge or sensor in that port is probably defective or calibrated wrong.

I guess we should rename this thread to oil pump discussion!
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

3. Likes J R Jones liked this post